Active players with positive H2H against TOP 10? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Active players with positive H2H against TOP 10?

As others have mentioned, this isn't a stat any non-great players will have after a non-negligible # of matches played. Only 13 players in history have a positive % vs top 10 (going by the ATP stats):

Borg, Federer, Nadal, Becker, Lendl, Sampras, McEnroe, Murray, Djokovic, Agassi, Ashe, Kuerten, Connors.

Very impressive for Murray, statistically, he fits the profile of multi-slam legend in many ways (obviously not the most important one).

Some of the best players who DON'T have a positive record:

Wilander (exactly .5), Safin, Hewitt, Stich, Edberg, Nastase, Courier, Rafter, Kafelnikov

One of the most impressive records is Guillermo Canas who has 20-30 for a .4 record. That is extremely high for a player who was never close to being a slam winner.
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I see someone gave you the career list, here is the active one:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Reliabil...rent-List.aspx
Shows why a lot of people rate Raonic's hopes of becoming a top player, he is, at number 6, the only non top 10 (past or present) in the top 18 for current players career index.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post
So only Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray have a positive H2H with TOP 10.
Also Janowicz and Klizan have 50%: Janowicz (2:2) and Klizan (1:1), so at least their H2H is not negative
I wonder if there are any other players like Janowicz and Klizan...
Here is one:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...evas.aspx?t=mr

In addition, he's got the best TB record of any player with at least 50 played. Unfortunately, he's been injured and hasn't played this year...
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Some of the best players who DON'T have a positive record:

Wilander (exactly .5), Safin, Hewitt, Stich, Edberg, Nastase, Courier, Rafter, Kafelnikov
Nastase is a special case because the rankings system was only created in the end of 1973, and he had his best years before.

Wilander it would be interesting to see how he rated until the end of 1988 or 1989, because afterwards he was the shadow of what he was before.

I'm most surprised about Edberg.

But generally speaking, I'm not that fond of that ratio against top-10 because some players can be in the top-10 but play badly, and they will only fall from it later ... whereas they may have been better BEFORE entering top-10.

Amirbachar may have ideas on that topic as he also created some specific complicated indexes.

Personally I don't look at ratios against top-10 but a list of 30 players I consider as very good. For instance for long Hewitt was not in the top-10 but still it was harder to beat him than another player who was top-10 ... when he did actually play.

Some players like him or Haas or Baghdatis or even Wawrinka have better stats against best players than their current ranking might let it look.

As for Raonic, his ratio against best players in my stats is comparable to Isner's then I'm not sure exactly what to derive from this for his future : I also think basically that such big servers will tend to be more dangerous for top-players but be more vulnerable against other players ... and that's especially a problem for them in slams (also because they may have longer matches)

Last edited by duong : 11-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote