Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Quote:
"Players do look up to Rafa, so it would be nice to see him maybe a bit more engaged," Federer said.
I can fully understand looking up to him as a player, but as a leader ?

Rafito shouldn't be involved with these kind of things.

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
What you talking about Willis?
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Mi boyfriend federer is goat, no?
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer takes on role as backroom power broker (ATP future and situation)

Legend
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think as the president of the players' council he's really a "power broker", I mean he's not an executive, and I don't think he has much power because he's isolated from other top-players on main topics, and you can't really have power when you're isolated hence it's these other players who gave the orientations (for instance we heard he was isolated about the 2-year ranking system -which fortunately received other oppositions- and about the suppression of the week between Paris-Bercy and the WTF ; besides, on the slam prize money concern, he was not the one who took the initiative either, he just worked for the implementation of the increases).

Hence his power on these topics is very much overrated imo. Being president of a council is completely different from being an executive president.

But of course putting his hands in the job and in the compromises, which is very time and brain-wasting, he has the possibility to orientate the final decisions and it is imo the main reason why he kept on doing that with the fact that it seems that he likes and feels entitled being implied in that.

For instance I heard that the calendar reform putting the WTF right after the US Open was delayed until 2015 and he can have played a role in that delay with all of the other reasons which make that institutions have a resistance against such big changes (for instance it was heard that claycourt players resisted the move of the southAmerican clay season to december even if the tournament organizers quite liked that move)

What I also said on that on another topic :

Quote:
For months I've thought about what was going on underground, which was surely very demanding and worrying for Fed, who has been said by the ATP board as someone who really implies in this job, including reading every note, listening, etc ...

As a fan, I've wanted him to go away from that for months as Nadal wisely did for his one self.

Even though for tennis as a whole, I think it's better that Fed's kept on doing that.

MTFers only know one thing about those job and debates : the gossiping which goes in the media.

But that's only 1% of the job : there's so much more going behind, and for that, as Forget said (Forget who very harshly criticized Fed for asking more prize money from Roland-Garros because the French Tennis Federation had given him a job to fight against those demands), you need a lot of sensible diplomatic work and not loopy gossipings in the media.

Mostly what Fed has received for that is critics :
- critics from players like Nadal and Stakhovsky who don't like "compromises" and being too "Swiss", that is moderate ;
- critics from the French Open who fights against increasing prize money ;
- critics from fans who think that every change is decided by the only Federer, being the president of the council, which is absolutely untrue because most of the changes which emerge for the coming years come from Nadal's, Murray's, Djokovic's and others' desires, Federer being mostly isolated against them in those matters (as has been said on the 2 year-ranking system or the week between Paris and the WTF or about putting the WTF right after the US Open) as one guy, even a council's president (which doesn't mean an executive president like the president of the USA ), has little power against many ones.

Federer as the president of the players' council is not a decider, he's a representative and facilitator listening, thinking and looking for compromises and cooling down people who are too categoric in their demandings. And institutions need guys like that. Quite often, when Fed spoke in recent months on those topics, he didn't say what he wanted but he tried to represent what the players overall wanted, that's a very common misconception when people talk about institutions not to understand the difference between both.

I'm certain he has been tremendously helped in that and other things by other clever, politically experienced and sensible guys like Ljubicic (who said Fed was his best friend on Tour after Thomas Johansson left), Nieminen and many other ones.

And well, I think all of this is vastly ignored and underrated by most people on MTF who don't know anything about how institutions work.

Last edited by duong : 11-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
And he answered Rafa's claim of him not being involved enough but not by being vocal but by actually getting shit done, even if it is behind closed doors.
he answered nothing (and Rafa didn't say he was not involved enough, he knows he works a lot, he said he was too moderate and not enough demanding, too "Swiss" ), he did it his way, which is different from the way Nadal by instinct thought it should be done. I don't think Fed was worried with Nadal's words but probably he was more worried with other players' demands because they were numerous and made a big threat : boycotting a slam.

The difference between Nadal and Fed imo is not so much that one is Swiss, the other one is Spanish, but one is older and more experienced in those things. Which Forget described as "some are old hands, others are a bit loopy but we need both" (Ljubicic quite said the same actually : he's not systematically critical of Nadal as some think ).

In the end Nadal was more of the decider and the orientater, Fed more like the operational coordinator. Primarily because Nadal had the support of other top-players, notably Djokovic and Murray.

But also well, quite often it's like that : youngsters give the orientations because they have a better idea of the future, at least of how they want it to be, but to put these things in application, you need experienced guys who will be wiser in details and at compromising.

Last edited by duong : 11-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
country flag Fedal_Fedal
Banned!

Fedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond reputeFedal_Fedal has a reputation beyond repute

Roger has transcended the sport of Tennis and is hands down one of the most influential sportsmen in the world. You can love or hate Roger but it is true that the guy has transcended the sport. I could easily see Roger being a Philanthropist in his 40's and beyond.
Fedal_Fedal is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
NID, Greederer lobbying for this just when he's about to retire in a couple of years
precisely he could have avoided doing that for many reasons :

1. not much concerned by the changes as he will retire (he said that actually about the suppression of the week between Paris and the WTF "I don't think it's a good decision but well I'm old and it's their future")

2. is isolated for the orientations against younger top-players (Murray will always back Nadal, and Nadal and Djokovic shared common wills/interests)

3. this kind of "coordinating job" when you don't give the main orientations is not very cheerful

4. he has many other things to do, is the most interviewed player by far for instance, and he's a father of two young twins

but apart from being concerned in the future of the Tour and feeling that after Ljubicic left this job, not many others could have done it, I think he actually likes and is interested in such kind of things, at least he said so.

And more impressively he seems to be very good in organizing oneself, managing a very busy schedule and separating his mind into several parts. This is surely the thing which impresses me most (Roddick also said he was impressed by that actually) as I think very few people understand how busy he is and how many different skills it implies.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
NID, Greederer lobbying for this just when he's about to retire in a couple of years and after he has scraped in all the money he can for years and years
Yes, it's definitely a sign of greed to be lobbying for pay rises that others will benefit from far more.

Take the blinkers off.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lleyton_ View Post
Olderer forum He got rid of Nadal who initiated the whole thing and took all the credit.
Nadal initiated the calendar reform (with Djokovic who talks less but was also very active to make propositions) but not the slams prize money demands. He rather tried to use that slams prize money demand to get support from the other players for his other plans.

It seemed to work very well at one moment because there was a conjunction of these "revolutionary" demands in the same Australian open meeting (remember Stakhovsky saying "I generally don't think the 2-year ranking system is a good thing but I support it if I can't get an increase in the slams prize money, as it's better if my ranking to enter the slams is protected" ... and anyway I want a revolution then I like Nadal pushing all that mess and threatening for boycott )

but he gave up when the prize money demands were dealt with well enough to completely separate that demand from Nadal's main plans.

The slams prize money demand seems to have been initiated by a group of Russian players, including Tursunov, Bogomolov and Youzhny + the Ukrainian guy Stakhovsky.

Last edited by duong : 11-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
country flag Popo21

Popo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond reputePopo21 has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see Fed doing his part to help out the players as a whole. I especially like the push for more prize money in the earlier rounds, as it will allow the up and coming players to make a better progression. More money can mean better training, travel, etc so that they can have the best shot to get better.
Popo21 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepita1964 View Post
Where are the likes of Djokovic,Nadal,Murray ? What are they doing or they just wait
someone else to do something? I do not know when we are going to see other one like Federer as a player and leader.
hm, and where was federer at the tender age of 25-26? I don't think he was spending hours at council meetings then.
These guys also want their piece of destiny, it is not fair to judge them.

I believe they will also become more active towards the end of their careers.

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
country flag wikke1

wikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond reputewikke1 has a reputation beyond repute

role = role
backroom = darkroom
power = power
broker = bottom

budge = bulge

wikke1 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnosugar View Post
I believe they will also become more active towards the end of their careers.
I think Djokovic is a person who likes thinking and implying in the world enough for that, Nadal is different, he's more made of emotions, less of reasonable thinking imo.

I think Djokovic already implies more than what people suspect.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
country flag tnosugar

tnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond reputetnosugar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I think Djokovic is a person who likes thinking and implying in the world enough for that, Nadal is different, he's more made of emotions, less of reasonable thinking imo.

I think Djokovic already implies more than what people suspect.
I think Djokovic could be a good champion for the players. He can handle politics very well, since with his success, he has had to deal with media, politician scumbags back home wanting some of his fame to rub off on then, and the whole "Serbian thug" stigma that took a lot of time to brush away.
And I think the ATP itself needs people from countries that are not from the historical or recent tennis core, in terms of development and influence.

Then again, he might start playing golf once he ends his tennis career

20-something girl: So, I guess we are now officially corporate hos.
30-something man: Yeah, so now you have to learn to play tennis.
Girl passerby: What does that have to do with anything?
20-something girl: Then we can be corporate hos and tennis pros -- duh.
30-something man: We should do commercials... Why don't we work for an ad agency?!

--59th & Lex
tnosugar is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has always fancied himself in the role of a benevolent patriarch for the tennis world.
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

What a guy
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread