Harry Potter Thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter Thread

Topspindoctor is like a squib. Deep down I know he wants to be a wizard, but he just doesn't get it.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to delete that Raquel. I wouldn't want to spoil it, just in case.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

sorry
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #34
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Harry Potter would have been good if it had continued as it had started-being a children's fantasy story. After it gained ridiculous amounts of popularity, Rowling tried to cater to all kinds of age groups and was way out of her depth.

The best thing about the books is their initial setting and premise. Beyond that, the quality of writing, execution and the conclusion are really poor.

Despite the glaring flaws, the books still remain entertaining to read but to call them masterpieces of any kind is
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
country flag The Prince

But that's what I don't get. If one enjoys them, finds them entertaining, it is only possible to call them a success. Ultimately, however superficial it may be, I think it's best to judge novels of these kind on entertainment factor first and foremost. I don't think it will be a timeless classic in the ilk of Dickens, but will still be a must have for children in generations to come.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
country flag jmjhb

jmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond reputejmjhb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post

Movies are all rubbish after the first two. Horrendous adaptations on so many levels.
I disagree completely. Looking back, Chris Columbus's adaptations were absolutely dreadful and pedestrian.

Singles rank: #110
Doubles rank: #31

Singles: W: Houston 2013, Montpellier 2014 F: Bucharest 2013, Kitzbühel 2012 SF: US Open 2011

Doubles (w/Goldenoldie): W: Le Gosier CH 2013 F AO 2014 SF: (w/Goldenoldie)

Other: W: WTC Dusseldorf 2012
jmjhb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the first two books? Columbus worked with what he had. She decided to make things more "dark" later with it's popularity. She still didn't have the courage to have Harry kill anyone. I thought Columbus did a good job with the material he had. They are shorter than the others, so it was easy not to leave anything important out. The later movies were just so fast-paced, with little explanation for what's going on.

Last edited by Tommy_Vercetti : 11-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Tommy_Vercetti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
Have you read the first two books? Columbus worked with what he had. She decided to make things more "dark" later with it's popularity. She still didn't have the courage to have Harry kill anyone. I thought Columbus did a good job with the material he had. They are shorter than the others, so it was easy not to leave anything important out. The later movies were just so fast-paced, with little explanation for what's going on.
I agree that they should have made the movies longer to cover more material. Especially the 5th one- it was only like 1 hour and seemed like a waltz the entire way through.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #39
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hian-GOAT View Post
Keep trying to be funny, but you will never do, 'cause your humour is as bad as your faves
HP is one of the best things ever in literature, it deserves always respect and a big to J.K. Rowling.
Quote:
Almost 500 milions of copies sold in all the world, translated in 73 different languages (even ancient greek and latin), everywhere considered one of the best written works in modern literature.
It is definitely one of the best things ever in everytime literature: for the success, for what it produced in readers' minds, for being still now remembered and worshipped, and for many other reasons I don't want to say.
That's a grave and serious insult to real literature, which obviously wouldn't sell like Harry Potter, Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey because most people either can't understand the writing or don't have the patience for it. Obviously, I've never read Harry Potter or most popular fiction because my time is precious and I devote it to only serious literature. I think the word you were looking for is 'fiction'. I'm not saying the series is bad (I wouldn't know, having never read it); it's just not serious literature, which isn't debatable. I mean, Rowling isn't a Barnes or a McEwan or a Rushdie. It's like comparing the ATP #100 to Federer. They work in the same field, but aren't in the same league quality-wise. You wouldn't study Harry Potter in a Literature class; you would read it for fun, some readers find deeper meaning in it which is great because that's what books are supposed to do, but it's not literature. I just cannot get over how you're claiming that the series is some amazing literary masterpieces. It's seriously offensive. I'm sorry, I love literature more than tennis and even Federer, so this is just...
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #40
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up reading them ,so I loved it a lot .My favourate was the third one .It was really exciting .Maintained that innocence as well as being plot heavy .The only book to do that .The later books became darker and the innocence got lost somewhere

My favourate character was Proffessor Flitwick
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
That's a grave and serious insult to real literature, which obviously wouldn't sell like Harry Potter, Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey because most people either can't understand the writing or don't have the patience for it. Obviously, I've never read Harry Potter or most popular fiction because my time is precious and I devote it to only serious literature. I think the word you were looking for is 'fiction'. I'm not saying the series is bad (I wouldn't know, having never read it); it's just not serious literature, which isn't debatable. I mean, Rowling isn't a Barnes or a McEwan or a Rushdie. It's like comparing the ATP #100 to Federer. They work in the same field, but aren't in the same league quality-wise. You wouldn't study Harry Potter in a Literature class; you would read it for fun, some readers find deeper meaning in it which is great because that's what books are supposed to do, but it's not literature. I just cannot get over how you're claiming that the series is some amazing literary masterpieces. It's seriously offensive. I'm sorry, I love literature more than tennis and even Federer, so this is just...
That "serious" thing it's very debatable. It depends on what you consider serious or not. In music for example there are musicians that write music much more complex or elaborate and people think the music it's not serious because the lyrics talk about fantasy or fairy-tales or whatever and if another musicians write a 3 chord song but the lyrics are a philosophical essay they go "Oh, wow, what a masterpiece".

My point is that it doesn't matter what you write about, but how you write it. I don't think that writing science fiction will instantly make it less worthy. Some of the greatest authors write science fiction (Wilbur Smith, Stephen King, etc) If you didn't read them as you said, I don't know how you can be so offended. Give them a try at least. You'll see they are great and their success is justified.

And you can't seriously compare it to twilight. Twilight books weren't that successful or praised as HP, never. The movies were very successful because they're full of cliches and they cast two good looking guys for girls to watch the movie.
BauerAlmeida is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #42
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How is fiction not literature?

Bottomline: You can't judge a book unless you actually read it. You even said it yourself. HP is much better than Twilight and whatever other fads. It's too bad for you if you consider yourself too "sophisticated" to read good books.

Last edited by Orange Wombat : 11-07-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
country flag The Prince

Quote:
You seem to be implying that a novel has to be written for a blasé audience for it to be considered literature. Correct?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #44
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Keep trying to be funny, but you will never do, 'cause your humour is as bad as your faves
HP is one of the best things ever in literature, it deserves always respect and a big to J.K. Rowling.
Just hilarious. And I say this as a fan of the books. Why is it that when people like something they also have to overrate it like shit? HP is great entertainment for sure but it has absolutely 0 impact in literature overall. Rowling writes in an engaging manner but the language she uses is not impressive at all.

That said, I enjoy the books. And I actually never felt that the transition from children's story to a more dark tone was that unnatural.

My faves are probably Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-blood Prince.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #45
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
What a mug post. How is fiction not literature?

Bottomline: You can't judge a book unless you actually read it. You even said it yourself. HP is much better than Twilight and whatever other fads. It's too bad for you if you consider yourself too "sophisticated" to read good books.
No need to be so rude.

I don't agree with trips, but she's entitled to her opinion, even if it sounds awfully elitist.