Do you believe in luck in tennis? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you believe in luck in tennis?

Yes. Some players are extremely lucky. 33 80.49%
No. 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you believe in luck in tennis?

of course luck plays a role in anything in life. and luck just as in, sometimes life works out even when it shouldn't, or things happen you wouldn't expect, etc. for example if a tennis player mishits their stroke and the ball looks like it's going to net and it just barely hits the chord and rolls over, winning them the point, then that is luck. and often in instances like that, the luck helps give that player momentum and frustrate their opponent...

weather conditions can be considered lucky/favorable for players, etc, how draws unfold, on and on...

luck plays a part in life and certainly in tennis. but the reality is that players do not get lucky all the time, and very great champions in a way create their own luck because regardless of circumstances or happenings they find a way to win. certainly luck has helped players at small moments though

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

A formerly considerable junior tennis player and old friend of mine once told me "There's no such thing as luck in tennis, only percentages." Since then, I've always thought back to that adage as it relates to this sport.

Luck is what we ascribe to certain miniscule and sometimes "uncontrollable" factors that might contribute to a given outcome. If we look close enough, everything has causation that might otherwise be perceived as "luck". The concept is universal, meaning it applies to everyone, and in some sense, it could be a factor of every thing (that happens in tennis, at least) as well. Because of its broad application, I tend to think it's negligible.

In the end, players usually have the greatest say in what happens, be it in a match or their career.
BackhandDTL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Murray and the wind... Luck even gave him a GS when he was completely scared to win it.
Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
I agree. But the thing is, some individual points change the course of sets, even entire matches.
Yes, of course they do. You're absolutely right. These pieces of luck are far more likely to get the opposition angry and flustered than just firing a good forehand past them. If they get mad, it leads to them playing worse. Soon enough, the match has turned around.

Things like bad calls, flukes and net chords are big mental blows to whoever comes off worse.

However it's important not to confuse this extremely interchangeable short-term luck with a player playing above his level, which is no co-incidence. That comes with the right mentality and belief in technique.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
country flag RafaelNadalisGod
Banned!

RafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond repute

Murray 2012 USO.... Stars fucking aligned
RafaelNadalisGod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadalisGod View Post
Murray 2012 USO.... Stars fucking aligned
I would agree that the conditions alligned and so did his draw but he certainly fought and did a lot of things to make it happen too. that's a mixed bag there, Murray/US Open

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #22
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. Mugerer winning the French Open at the only time Nadal was mysteriously absent, and then winning Wimbledon in 2012 at the only time Nadal was absent.

Oh wait...this topic is about luck? My bad. I thought it was about match rigging and legacy-making by the ATP.

Federer's peak is supposedly in 2004-2007, but his best grass match was WI 2009 final, his best hard court match was WTF 2010 final, and his best clay match was RG 2011 SF

34 year old Agassi took peak Federer to 5 sets at U.S Open but any problem cannot be found? GOAT argument
20 y.o. Djokovic straight setted prime Federer at Aus. Open but any problem cannot be found? GOAT argument
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
country flag RafaelNadalisGod
Banned!

RafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond reputeRafaelNadalisGod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Of course. Mugerer winning the French Open at the only time Nadal was mysteriously absent, and then winning Wimbledon in 2012 at the only time Nadal was absent.

Oh wait...this topic is about luck? My bad. I thought it was about match rigging and legacy-making by the ATP.
Nadal played Wimbledon 2012 and Roland Garros 2009. Next.
RafaelNadalisGod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
country flag ciprianned

ciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond reputeciprianned has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Luck is always equal to 0 in the long run.
THIS !
Old 11-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

WoW guys ..... please ..... sense yourselves !
OF course there is LUCK !
THE exact moment when the ball leaves the racket and begins it's trajectory you had given some EXACT properties to the ball (spin,pace,placement) these properties CHANGE at A DIFFERENT RATE EVERYTIME and that is cause of RANDOM FACTORs which are not constant EVEN THE ATMOSPHERE PRESSURE is changing CONSTANTLY the temperature too there is no place on earth where there is absolutely no WIND at ALL !!!(oh gosh i feel like here are persons that doesn't know in what a world we live in and i'm 17 talking about IQ ... ) SINCE you can't CHANGE THOSE variables hence it's luck! THE MOMENT when the ball leaves the racket everything from there on till the next contact with the opponents racket is luck !
THERE are no two opinions about this clearly ... guys sort yourself up ... just as i thought that humanity is slowing it's degrading levels i prove myself wrong ...

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #27
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but no one player is lucky all the time, so it balances out.

Federer will win another grand slam.
Cilic is not a one slam wonder.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadalisGod View Post
Nadal played Wimbledon 2012 and Roland Garros 2009. Next.
You really are a strange breed. One would think you were a tennis fan if not for that affiliation with piggy.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #29
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
Yes, but no one player is lucky all the time, so it balances out.
No it doesn't ! Prove to me how it does balances ITSELF OUT !

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #30
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

No, but I believe in Warlucq
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote