Political Discussion Thread - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #121
country flag monkey247
Registered User
 
monkey247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,860
monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes7 View Post
Im going to jump in here because being much older than most of you, I am sure, I have raised children by myself and this was in the 60s when things were chaotic. Everyday was a fight just to survive and put food on the table and get my kids off to school--no help from their father and no help from the so-called government because it was run by men and they had no clue what it was to be responsible for anyone other than themselves. Today I see that changing and more men taking responsibility for their kids, although not a lot of "growing up" going on. Gender roles have been pretty much the same for a long, long time and changing those is going to be difficult. I leave it in the capable hands of strong women like those of you posting here to get the job done. Don't let me down!!
greeneyes, that is a long, tough, thankless, lonely road, especially in those days when there was still some stigma attached to being divorced/single with children. That you survived such a situation is down to your own strength and capabilities, so massive respect to you. I hope your kids never blamed you for any perceived parenting "deficits". If they're parents now themselves, they'll know just how much you did for them and how much you gave for their happiness.

And yes, men don't understand the costs involved, because they choose to remain remote from the task of child-rearing and thus have no understanding of the needs of mothers and children. I suppose this is changing, but very slowly.

Such a complex subject, my tired brain won't do it justice tonight. Maybe tomorrow ...
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #122
country flag greeneyes7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 67
greeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Monkey, thanks for the kudos. They are much appreciated. You are right, it was hard but we all made it and when my kids became parents they did indeed recognize the sacrifice and difficulties of parenting. Being a parent is the most important thing you can do in life, so do it as best you can. When life hands you a spoon and says "dig a ditch", just dig it. It eventually gets done.
greeneyes7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #123
country flag monkey247
Registered User
 
monkey247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,860
monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Tweeted yesterday by RusPoliceWatch:

Quote:

LifeNews: Member of Duma IT committee wants @SouthPark banned in Russia after #FreePussyRiot episode, by @lifenews_ru
Full episode ("A Scause for Applause") here (after Travian advert). The Pussy Riot reference is right at the end.

I hope that Duma deputies are not so po-faced these days, that they don't understand obvious satire. Maybe something got lost in translation ...


Tweet
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #124
country flag mer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moscow
Posts: 5,734
mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey247 View Post
I hope that Duma deputies are not so po-faced these days, that they don't understand obvious satire.
you give them too much credit
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #125
country flag monkey247
Registered User
 
monkey247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,860
monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

^ No way, I've learnt my lesson! It was a hope only. How can anybody in government be that ignorant? And there's Marat reminding everyone he lives in Bulgakov's neighbourhood ...
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #126
country flag mer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moscow
Posts: 5,734
mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

It seems our deputies are having some kind of clown competion today. One wants to ban SouthPark, another suggested to shoot members of elected opposition council What's next?
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #127
country flag monkey247
Registered User
 
monkey247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,860
monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
It seems our deputies are having some kind of clown competion today. One wants to ban SouthPark, another suggested to shoot members of elected opposition council
What? Say WHAT ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post

What's next?
Judging by the prevailing level of debate in the Duma, a p*ssing contest, I reckon.

Please, someone, anyone, Dinara, save Marat ...
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #128
country flag inez
Registered User
 
inez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 523
inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

...I fear it may already be too late.......

http://www.rferl.org/content/safin-t.../24756900.html
__________________
inez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #129
country flag little_masha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 186
little_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Photo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post
Well, one thing hasn't changed...Marat is simply one of THE most photogenic people you can imagine....he mesmerises with his charm...and those insanely beautiful blue-brown crazy-paving eyes....how I miss his funny, ironic, self-depreciating humour (which still looks to be on show inthese fotos)which made his old tennis interviews so entertaining....these days I just wish he would just look gorgeous and not speak - just like a good 'supermodel' should.....and forget all this 'I want to be more than a cute guy in a suit" nonsense....

WOW...it never ceases to amaze me to which extent people actually take him for nothing else but a handsome empty-headed!

All his previous interviews, all his great, funny, intelligent character ultimately means nothing, you are not even giving him a bit of credit for maybe knowing better what he actually speaks about because of his MP position.

First it was United Russia, then he whistled in the church (oh, how I LOVE this old Romanian saying, it's just so suggestive!) with his any Pussy Whatever rant...now talk about fanbase annihilation techniques!

As I have previously written somewhere else on this forum, I personally share his opinion in this Pussy Riot issue 100%, so to me that's nothing else but just another proof that he's a guy with a good deal of common sense.

My point here, of course, is not to reignite the Pussy Riot dispute, but to simply ask how come those of you who basically entirely refute his political options and speech on terms of (let's be honest!) dumbness still follow him?!

Of course he's good looking & shit, but come on: there are lots of other good looking guys, no need losing your time on a guy who lets Pussy Riot do time without at least burning himself alive in the Red Square, thus bringing the injustices of the Russian system to the attention of the world?!

He must be the best looking man in the history of mankind...being able to get away with it all!


As for the Women's issues in Eastern Europe, their dependency on men, their secondary role in the society...look: as a woman living in this part of the world, who went to university all by herself, who was raised by a single mother, who works in a highly macho environment...my personal opinion is that the women are those to be blamed for this situation.

The women who refuse to think for themselves, the women who find it comfortably to be taken care of/supported by a man, the women who do not conceive their life not revolving around a man, the women who are too lazy to actually work a real job, to pursue education, the women who deeply disrespect other women, whom they see as enemies. The stupid women. And the plain whores.

So I would not put this solely on the male driven society.

Boys will be boys FOREVER, but, in my opinion, the situation of Eastern Europe women is also due to their inability to back up each other. Women are unable to act as an organized group, while men are.

But I still believe that putting up a silly show in a church is not good publicity for feminism.

And - with all due respect - I do find it almost entertaining that some of you guys speak about feminism and the perils of mysoginy, yet mock his girlfriend's looks. Now that's female bonding! Is she supposed to be beautiful in order to be with him? Is it her fault if she isn't (she actually is, stop ranting!)?

Some of you are also shocked that she hasn't already poisoned his soup for his views on marriage, while you use photos of him as avatars!

Inez, honestly, how is one supposed to read your feminist speech when your avatar is plainly a very, very machist image of Marat, no less?

Last edited by little_masha : 11-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.
little_masha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #130
country flag inez
Registered User
 
inez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 523
inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Photo Thread

Clearly the Duma aren't the only ones who don't get satire..... or irony, for that matter....
__________________
inez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #131
country flag inez
Registered User
 
inez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 523
inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Dammit...OK I will take the bait:
A)I am not aware that ANYONE has refuted his political views "on terms of (let's be honest!) dumbness " - they have been refuted on the basis of philosophy and viewpoint - social and political....

B)I was not disregarding "All his previous interviews, all his great, funny, intelligent character ultimately means nothing" merely mourning their demise and, "you are not even giving him a bit of credit for maybe knowing better what he actually speaks about because of his MP position" - are you saying that being surrounded by party cronies an parroting the party line is indicative of some kind of superior knowledge that we mere observers are too lowly to comprehend??? I am sure his regional week meetings with no doubt hand-picked locals who come and whinge on about building permits and lack of local facilities is absolutely RIVETING for him.....

C)The only reason Marat is not dead yet is because he eats soup with a fork

D) there is more than one way to interpret my avatar - one of which is that he has become a total wa*n*er...

And while I am at it, anyone who has read my opinions over the years I have been posting on this board, whether they agree with me or not, could not deny, I believe, that I have always supported Marat's right to make his own choices and live his own life. I still afford him, and everyone else, that same right, but it does NOT mean that I have to slavishly agree with him - I just think that it is rather a shame that he, apparently, does not afford the same freedom of speech to others that we all enjoy on this board - and to imply, as I understand you to do, that my views on the path he has chosen, and my following his career before and after tennis is based solely on the fact, as you so elegantly put it, that he is "good looking & shit" is clearly wrong and, frankly, bloody insulting.

Also - congratulations on living your own life - I am sure you have worked hard for your achievements - but do you really think Marat would consider you his EQUAL? if you do, I woud love to know what evidence, from his interviews, you would cite to support your belief - and if NOT then it rather makes a mockery of your argument that it's women ultimately to 'blame' for men disregarding them in the workplace and relegating them to second class citizens- wouldn't you say?
__________________
inez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #132
country flag greeneyes7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 67
greeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond reputegreeneyes7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Inez: You go girl!!!
greeneyes7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #133
country flag little_masha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 186
little_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond reputelittle_masha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Oh, Inez, woman, no need to go ballistic over a simple discussion regarding Marat Safin, really!!!

It’s just my personal belief, definitely not intended as “bait” to anyone! Do remember that I personally share his opinion (ok, the Party’s opinion!) in the Pussy Riot issue, having stated it on this forum previously to his stating his own.
So:
A) Maybe as English is not my mother tongue, I did not make myself clear. When I said that people refuted his political views on terms of dumbness, I did not mean that you, guys, are dumb, but that you take him for one because you seem to consider that his doings/sayings are silly and due to his lack of understanding the way things really are.

Moreover, if you don’t count him for a complete idiot, than he must be a rotten bastard, having adhered to the party politics in order to pursue his own obscure and lowly interest, which I also find a bit simplest.

In this regard, I’d like to add that I personally believe that he did not go into politics because he was an ardent patriot who thought that the cure to all pests of Russia is building more tennis facilities, but in order to serve his interests. But to me, that does not automatically make his a bastard and I do not think I have lax moral standards.

And let us remember that, prior to his political career, he openly associated with dubious, if not criminal, figures like Alimzhan Tokhtakhounov.

So he’s no tear drop clean ingénue and we knew it even back in his poster boy days.

B) People in different positions see things differently, it’s axiomatic, really!

You, guys, seem like human rights/feminist enthusiasts, but were you a member of a ferociously criticized ruling party of a country towards which most of the world has bad feelings (because of course the Russian are ultimately going to invade us all, there’s no shore too far!) maybe you would see an event like the Pussy Riot case as a semi-anarchist agitation circus which serves just too well Western anti-Russian propaganda and that could equally became a problematic precedent in a multi-ethnic socially and politically troubled country like Russia.

And therefore see as justified a more severe punishment then just a fine or community work or whatever because the same case in another country would bear a whole different meaning to the society/world, but they’re in Russia, so it’s very much different and based on a reasoning like this it’s not unbelievable that he will see things differently.


C) & D) The place is crowded with fine humorists, what can I say…

I also don’t see why are you so mortified by my saying that his looks are the main reason people follow him and come in here and whatever!

Really, let’s be honest, let’s reread the comments in here, it’s mainly the fact that he’s a very, very good looking man that we cherish and support him so much! Not his defunct tennis, not his outlook on life, not even his humorous persona (Tursunov was always much more hilarious, right, Greeneyes? Or maybe I’m wrong ).

The looks, let’s just admit it and get over it, it’s not the end of the world!

And please don’t feel insulted where it’s not the case, I’ll say it first: the main reason I like Marat Safin is because I find him bloody attractive. Period! I also find him pretty smart and I like whatever seems to be his life philosophy based on his interviews, but honestly I firstly paid him attention because of his looks.

Finally, do I believe that Marat Safin would consider me his equal?

I’m sure (as much as you can be based on interviews, well) that he would. I can’t really start justifying this sentence, so take it like that: I’d bet my underwear that he would! I’ve seen just too many men like him not to be pretty sure about what I say.
little_masha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #134
country flag mer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moscow
Posts: 5,734
mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_masha View Post
You, guys, seem like human rights/feminist enthusiasts, but were you a member of a ferociously criticized ruling party of a country towards which most of the world has bad feelings (because of course the Russian are ultimately going to invade us all, there’s no shore too far!) maybe you would see an event like the Pussy Riot case as a semi-anarchist agitation circus which serves just too well Western anti-Russian propaganda and that could equally became a problematic precedent in a multi-ethnic socially and politically troubled country like Russia.

And therefore see as justified a more severe punishment then just a fine or community work or whatever because the same case in another country would bear a whole different meaning to the society/world, but they’re in Russia, so it’s very much different and based on a reasoning like this it’s not unbelievable that he will see things differently.
You seriously confuse the root couse and consequencies. There would have been no agitation circus and there would have been no need to justify more severe punishment if PR case was treated according to the law from the beginning. These women shouldn't have been arrested and kept in jail before trial. The state TV shouldn't have started a massive propaganda campaign portraying these "silly, worthless" girls as public enemies #1 and a serious threat to russian state and Orthodox Church. If the PR girls got such amount undeserved attention it's solely thanks to russian ruling authotities which Marat represents. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion re PR stunt in the Church. However there 2 undeniable things that bacame clear thanks to their stunt. Russian Church showed it's ugly face and russian Kafkain-style justice system was brought to public attention.
Again, Marat is surely entitled to his opinion about these girls as well as I'm entitled to lose my respect for him. And it's not because he considers them worthless. There is one prominent russian art/literature expert who made it clear that he has very negative opinion about the PR, however he called for their release and he stressed many times that he refuses to discuss how bad they and their "art" are as long as the girls are in prison because it's not right morally. I do respect this guy a lot even though I don't agree with his view on the girls.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #135
country flag inez
Registered User
 
inez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 523
inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

little masha - firstly, I don't think my response to your post was in any way "ballistic" - but I don't agree that our objections to Marat's stated views indicate that we think he is either "dumb" OR a "rotten bastard" - you have come up with that interpretation - I think my points are pretty clear so I would prefer it if you didn't subsequently "put words into my mouth"

I think the days when 'the West' feared "invasion" by Russia are long, long gone - and frankly, Russia is hardly in a position to "invade' anyone (outside of its smaller Caucasian neighbors) - so your (I assume sarcastic)reinforcement of the old stereotypes hardly moves the debate forward...

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion regarding the Pussy Riot affair and what it means in the wider context of Russian politics and the rule (or lack of )Law - and you are as free to speculate on Marat's motivation in going into politics as the rest of us - and I have never denied Marat's good looks and celebrate them along with everyone else - but have I mis-interpreted you ? both your posts read in a slightly passive-aggressive way - you seem to be leveling some unspecified accusation at me for expressing my disappointment with what Marat seems to be evolving into by implying that there is some underlying inconsistency in my arguments - I don't have a problem with you because "the main reason I like Marat Safin is because I find him bloody attractive." - but I wouldn't assume that that is the limit of everyone's interest.
__________________
inez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios