Harry Potter Thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
country flag Orange Wombat
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harry Potter Thread

This had to be done.

My favorite book series, and if you consider yourself too "sophisticated" to read it, you are a mug.

Okay, so what makes the Harry Potter books so good? The author, JK Rowling (or should we say JK GOATing?) is a decent writer. The plot is good and the word choice is easy to understand. But the unique thing is, she is not an author. She is a creator of an entire world. A world of magic. And yet it seems so realistic and believable. There are so many characters, each equally complex. We are sent on a journey from the first book to the last gigantic novels, with each second laughing, crying, and arguing along with Harry, Hermione, and Ron. How they mature and change is one of the big appeals of the book.

---

On a side note, I have pranked countless 11-year olds with authentic-looking Hogwarts letters. I am such a troll

---

Here is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in comics.

Cute, isn't it? Discuss.
Orange Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
country flag Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Vercetti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter Thread

I liked the series, but it had deep, deep flaws that she could have written around. In the last book especially. JKR can be like GRRM, they both began writing longer and longer books, but with really lazy ways to push the plot twists.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

bought and red all the books . great books, much better, mature and "realistic" than movies. yes, i was a bit younger then but i am sure i would love it even if i read it now for the first time
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

This is now my favourite thread on MTF.

Ajde.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Liked the books but I felt they went a bit downhill towards the end, they started to be quite long (though I still read them in a day) and the final chapter of the final book was very cliché. But great series overall still.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

Matthew Lewis and Tom Felton are sexy as hell and the redhead is cute and looks like he'd make an insatiable bottom.

Daniel Radcliffe is the most gay-friendly straight actor around and is amazing.

Emma Watson is fabulous.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

As a couple pointed, it felt a little sloppy towards the end, I guess understandably so since if I remember correctly, she wasn't planning on writing 7 books. However, in many ways how "pop music" many other types of "better" music aside and takes all the limelight, I felt the Harry Potter series was kind of the same thing. The plot wasn't really original, I mean come on just a kid who finds out he has great and ends up being the hero, big deal honestly. Sure, some interesting twists and plots, but I felt I've read many more enjoayble stories and series in my life.

The movies? They were adequate, again, IMO nothing special, only truly popular because all those kiddies (and adults) were able to see their favorite character portrayed as a real person.

But yeah, as the OP said, the story is quite simplistic in nature and the writing is really not that special, pretty basic vocabularly and such. It just happened to catch fire. Certainly much credit is due to JKR but like most forms of art (music, writing, painting, etc) you obviously need that luck to get the success and again it still doesn't necessarily make it "best." Just like in music, even if much of today's pop music world is spewing out songs that are breaking record views and sales, doesn't mean they will be hummed and played 300 years later like great classical music.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Banned!

Orange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond reputeOrange Wombat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
As a couple pointed, it felt a little sloppy towards the end, I guess understandably so since if I remember correctly, she wasn't planning on writing 7 books. However, in many ways how "pop music" many other types of "better" music aside and takes all the limelight, I felt the Harry Potter series was kind of the same thing. The plot wasn't really original, I mean come on just a kid who finds out he has great and ends up being the hero, big deal honestly. Sure, some interesting twists and plots, but I felt I've read many more enjoayble stories and series in my life.

The movies? They were adequate, again, IMO nothing special, only truly popular because all those kiddies (and adults) were able to see their favorite character portrayed as a real person.

But yeah, as the OP said, the story is quite simplistic in nature and the writing is really not that special, pretty basic vocabularly and such. It just happened to catch fire. Certainly much credit is due to JKR but like most forms of art (music, writing, painting, etc) you obviously need that luck to get the success and again it still doesn't necessarily make it "best." Just like in music, even if much of today's pop music world is spewing out songs that are breaking record views and sales, doesn't mean they will be hummed and played 300 years later like great classical music.
Just a kid? More like a kid who makes friends in a magical world while learning from some wise guy and trying to get free from his uncle's abuse while having romantic relationships and journeying all over England trying to fight off the greatest dark wizard of all time. Honestly, there's like 1000 other complex characters.

I honestly think Harry Potter will be remembered as a classic. It is written with a cleverness and wit that appeals to all ages, not just teens, and anyone can get absorbed into that world. I mean, just name one mentally sane person who doesn't want to go to Hogwarts. If it doesn't become a classic...well, it was better than fluff which are only remarkable because the author lived a long time ago.

Last edited by Orange Wombat : 11-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
Matthew Lewis and Tom Felton are sexy as hell and the redhead is cute and looks like he'd make an insatiable bottom.

Daniel Radcliffe is the most gay-friendly straight actor around and is amazing.

Emma Watson is fabulous.
I agree, they are great actors. But we are talking about the actual series here, not the actors.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
country flag coluta

coluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond reputecoluta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
... fluff like Shakespeare, which is only remarkable because the author lived a long time ago.
Are you for real?

This doesn't mean Harry Potter books are not excellent books.
coluta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluta View Post
Are you for real?

This doesn't mean Harry Potter books are not excellent books.
I was just ranting.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
bought and red all the books . great books, much better, mature and "realistic" than movies. yes, i was a bit younger then but i am sure i would love it even if i read it now for the first time
This.

My favorite were 2, 5 and 7.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Wombat View Post
Jwell, it was better than fluff like Shakespeare, which is only remarkable because the author lived a long time ago.
And you call other people mugs?

I think one would have go through a lot of posts to find one as sad as this.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
And you call other people mugs?

I think one would have go through a lot of posts to find one as sad as this.
I never said "Jwell", and as I said before, I was just ranting. I actually enjoy Shakespeare. Still, if something like "As you Like It" was published this decade, do you think it would get any positive review?

But this thread is not about Shakespeare.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

I love this series. I grew up reading them.
My favorite book is #5
and my favorite movie is #4
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote