Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #121
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the forehands of the top 10 from best to worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Actually no. One does not need to worry about cockroaches when you have a can of Raid, which is exactly what Del Bashtro is to Nadal when comparing careers/achievements.
great comparison

why don't we play at mongo time travel a little more

nadal is out injured for a year, 2 years, after 2005 french open, how many slams does he win then?

injuries change careers, and you should be praying to whatever deity you believe in that nadal hasn't had any long term ones

obviously you turn the tv off when del potro plays nadal. otherwise you would see him bossing nadal around even when not 100%
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #122
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Ferrer better forehand than Djokovic? Only in MTF.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #123
country flag Cavalcante

Cavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond reputeCavalcante has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone not putting nadal and federer in no1 and no2 are tards
Cavalcante is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #124
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

People putting Murray's at 10, and Federer or Nadal's anywhere other than 1 or 2...
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #125
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
He succeeds in that endeavor tho His FH is the best mug repelent on the ATP on tour, no matter how bad he's playing/if he's injured low ranked mugs simply can't cope with the pace/weight of shot and he keeps advancing through draws until reaching the top guys.
This.

It's true, the guy is somewhat predictable in his shot-selection, and he's not particularly versatile when it comes to what he does with his forehand. THe problem with trying touse that against him is that the strength and reliability of his forehand means that none of that matters. It's astounding that we'd ask the hardest hitter on tour, who can not only crack the ball but do so regularly and consistently, to do more with an already devastating weapon that has already accounted for most of his success.

If the courts were faster right now, this would be an entirely different conversation...
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #126
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
This.

It's true, the guy is somewhat predictable in his shot-selection, and he's not particularly versatile when it comes to what he does with his forehand. THe problem with trying touse that against him is that the strength and reliability of his forehand means that none of that matters. It's astounding that we'd ask the hardest hitter on tour, who can not only crack the ball but do so regularly and consistently, to do more with an already devastating weapon that has already accounted for most of his success.

If the courts were faster right now, this would be an entirely different conversation...
If the courts were faster, it'd be harder for the top guys to defend against his FH, but against most of the tour it's hardly relevant. The shot is a mug repelent regardless of court speed.

There seems to a consensus on MTF that Delpo, Fed and Rafa have the three best FHs, only they have been selected as #1. Delpo and Rafa almost tied in selections, Federer clear #1, but that might be explained by Federer having clearly the largest fanbase on the forum. At least everyone agrees it's one of these three the best one.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #127
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the courts were faster, it'd be harder for the top guys to defend against his FH, but against most of the tour it's hardly relevant. The shot is a mug repelent regardless of court speed.

There seems to a consensus on MTF that Delpo, Fed and Rafa have the three best FHs, only they have been selected as #1. Delpo and Rafa almost tied in selections, Federer clear #1, but that might be explained by Federer having clearly the largest fanbase on the forum. At least everyone agrees it's one of these three the best one.
i don't think del potro would always benefit from faster courts (see: paris, cincinnati, year end championship)

i don't think he likes super slow courts either (see: monte carlo, miami, australian open)

he needs the medium pace with medium/high bounce (indian wells)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #128
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro likes slower hard courts cause it gives him a rhythm.

A faster court would favour an out and out risk taker over him.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #129

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
i don't think del potro would always benefit from faster courts

i don't think he likes super slow courts either

he needs the medium pace with medium/high bounce

so RG/US these days
He wouldn't; he takes huge cuts at the ball, needs time to prepare. A guy like Federer would easily take his time away on super fast courts on a regular basis imo. It'd benefit him against the best defenders (Djokovic, Murray...) and they would not be able to defend against him so well, but generally harm him against the field.

He can play good tennis on all courts, but it's better for him if it's not either too fast or too slow.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 AM   #130
country flag Tag

Quote:
He wouldn't; he takes huge cuts at the ball, needs time to prepare. A guy like Federer would easily take his time away on super fast courts on a regular basis imo. It'd benefit him against the best defenders (Djokovic, Murray...) and they would not be able to defend against him so well, but generally harm him against the field.

He can play good tennis on all courts, but it's better for him if it's not either too fast or too slow.
lol, caught my post before edit

he would do worse in 90s US Open, better in 90s French, worse in 90s Wimbledon, about the same in 90s australian (which is currently bugger all)

no real difference

although he's won the US, i don't think it's an exact natural fit for his game

australia is too slow, wimbledon is too movement hindered. french is a good fit, can see him winning there...one day

indian wells is the perfect fit for his game, surface wise
Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #131
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i don't think del potro would always benefit from faster courts (see: paris, cincinnati, year end championship)

i don't think he likes super slow courts either (see: monte carlo, miami, australian open)

he needs the medium pace with medium/high bounce (indian wells)
Correct Juan doesn't necessarily have a pure advantage in the super fast courts. Faster courts tend to expose his limited movement, naturally given his size. Plus in faster courts a player that can change direction and pace well, especially taking the ball on the rise would take Juan's advantage and put him on defense; and Potro is a poor defender; case in point Davydenko at his height on a medium paced indoor court.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Del Potro likes slower hard courts cause it gives him a rhythm.

A faster court would favour an out and out risk taker over him.
Yup, that and the fact his strokes aren't very compact, he can be rushed on very fast surfaces. The one player that would benefit greatly from super fast surfaces is Berdych imo, he's a beast in such conditions, Tsonga too to a lesser extent (his BH remains a weakness).

On those very fast surfaces, I'd agree that Federer has the best FH. Both Nadal and JMDP can be rushed in those conditions, Federer's the best weapon on such courts.

On the slow conditions we have currently, I'd take Nadal's insane spin or Delpo's unique consistent power though.

Quote:
lol, caught my post before edit

he would do worse in 90s US Open, better in 90s French, worse in 90s Wimbledon, about the same in 90s australian (which is currently bugger all)

no real difference

although he's won the US, i don't think it's an exact natural fit for his game

australia is too slow, wimbledon is too movement hindered. french is a good fit, can see him winning there...one day

indian wells is the perfect fit for his game, surface wise
He can play well on all surfaces, even on grass now if the Olympics are anything to go by - he played some great stuff there.

I'd say the best conditions for him would be a medium paced claycourt and a fast (but not overly fast) hardcourt.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 02-26-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #133
country flag Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerhingis View Post
Correct Juan doesn't necessarily have a pure advantage in the super fast courts. Faster courts tend to expose his limited movement, naturally given his size. Plus in faster courts a player that can change direction and pace well, especially taking the ball on the rise would take Juan's advantage and put him on defense; and Potro is a poor defender; case in point Davydenko at his height on a medium paced indoor court.
also doesn't have the serve for indoors, although it's been good recently, lets see how it does at the year end championship. low bounce kills him

also why he won't ever be a threat on grass, along with movement/volleys. the fact that he has reached a 4R is thanks to higher bouncing grass. if he reaches a QF final there, he should treat it as a career best

Quote:
He can play well on all surfaces, even on grass now if the Olympics are anything to go by - he played some great stuff there.

I'd say the best conditions for him would be a medium paced claycourt and a fast (but not overly fast) hardcourt.
RG (+ estoril obviously) for clay. cannot see him doing anything at the clay masters

fast, so not IW? what hard court masters (there are no fast hard courts slams, LOL) are you thinking of?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #134
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
also doesn't have the serve for indoors, although it's been good recently, lets see how it does at the year end championship. low bounce kills him

also why he won't ever be a threat on grass, along with movement/volleys. the fact that he has reached a 4R is thanks to higher bouncing grass. if he reaches a QF final there, he should treat it as a career best

RG (+ estoril obviously) for clay. cannot see him doing anything at the clay masters

fast, so not IW? what hard court masters (there are no fast hard courts slams, LOL) are you thinking of?
Yeah low bounce exposes his lack of flexibility, his height becomes a big disadvantage. Safin was an exception he could bend pretty low and was incredibly athletic for his height. However, Potro is almost 6-7'' you can't really blame him for this.

Cincy is the only decently paced court out there, and London can be quick too, the low bounce makes it appear quicker paced.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #135

Quote:

He should do well in the clay Masters, I think, especially Madrid where he usually plays well.

Cincy is the most suited hardcourt Masters for him imo, IW and Miami are annoyingly slow. He can play well on all surfaces though; he can adapt his power game to any given conditions. Against the top guys though, a fast court is always preferrable, on slow/medium courts guys like Djokovic and Murray can frustrate him big time with their defense. Some of Djokovic's defensive gets in their US Open match, while quite spectacular, would have been downright impossible in a proper fast hardcourt.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 10-31-2012 at 02:59 AM.