Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon) - Page 118 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #1756
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Bearing in mind that was a Federer - Nadal final, I don't think it's plausible that the women's final was close to being as popular. Those two are still massive draws for the majority of viewers, especially when both of them are competing with each other.
That's even a the best possible case for comparison - The ultimate GS final ever, The Fedal against quite a boring final in the WTA.

If the numbers are close, then we have a case, coz i can imagine that the finals are happening during the night in Asia, so not as much spectators in China, compared to match during their day.

Anyways, would be curious to see.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #1757
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equal prize money debate (Rob Koenig and Tipsarevic agree with Gilles Simon)

Well, we can't see anything as
Quote:
While there was no official encomium from the top leadership for her extraordinary feat of becoming the first Chinese player to win a Grand Slam, the state television telecast her matches live while the official newspapers praised her to the sky.

We'll have to check Nike's numbers in China after this final... j/k

But despite there isn't solid info, i'm sure the big sharks are making their own forecasts and a Fedal would sell less than Li Na - whoever final.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #1758
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Given the women's final had an AMERICAN in it and the USO men's final was on a Monday night instead of a Sunday, you have no basis for an argument.

And the US doesn't represent the world.
You're reaching now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
The youngest player in the WTA Top-100 is 18 years and 11 months old. See, nowadays not even paedophiles should be particularly interested in the women's tennis.
Dmitry Verdasco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #1759
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
You're reaching now
Don't hug me thanks.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #1760
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

118 pages of bull. Now comparing this with an average life example:

There's a Mcdonalds down the road. The employees there serve an average of say 5 people per minute. They earn £7.60 per hour.

There's a Burger King across the street from the Mcdonalds. The employees there serve an average of about 3 people per hour. They earn £7.60 per hour.

Now if Mcdonalds were the ATP and Burger King were WTA, which Tennis organisation sells the cheapest double cheeseburgers? Wait.. no, there was a point in there somewhere.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #1761
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

I think having equal prize money brings a lot more to tennis than it takes away from it.

Especially since the top women include players are from Russia, China, and America, the important places. The men only have one guy from an important country with a big audience.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo
MuzzahLovah is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #1762
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
I agree that the quality of the WTA is low now, but it really does seem like many of you are insulting women in general.
MTF is steeped in misogyny, like much of the internet. It's pathetic.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo
MuzzahLovah is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #1763
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
I think having equal prize money brings a lot more to tennis than it takes away from it.

Especially since the top women include players are from Russia, China, and America, the important places. The men only have one guy from an important country with a big audience.
yeah forget about all these pointless little crappy countries like Serbia and the Czech Republic etc
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #1764
country flag Benny_Maths

Benny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond reputeBenny_Maths has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Tennis is not that nationalistic. Both Federer and Nadal have a lot of international fans. I would rather watch a Federer first round then a 4th round of some mug of my own nationality (even if he would be ranked 10-5).
Pretty much. Just as an example, for me the 2004 US Open final was .
Benny_Maths is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #1765
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for equality in tennis but Murray brought up an excellent point during Wimbledon. As the female players are spending less time on court (for the most part), and their matches are less physically taxing, they have the option of participating in the doubles event and thus can generate even more revenue than the men. The Williams sisters are a perfect example of the aforementioned point.

It is an excellent point brought up by Murray and a very intelligent way of generating debate about equal prize money without sparking negative debate about women's rights.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #1766
country flag latso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
I'm all for equality in tennis but Murray brought up an excellent point during Wimbledon. As the female players are spending less time on court (for the most part), and their matches are less physically taxing, they have the option of participating in the doubles event and thus can generate even more revenue than the men. The Williams sisters are a perfect example of the aforementioned point.

It is an excellent point brought up by Murray and a very intelligent way of generating debate about equal prize money without sparking negative debate about women's rights.
Not a valid point imo.

Girls play 3 setters coz that's their maximum. Guys are stronger and they can play 5 setters.

Both genders have players doing singles and doubles at the same time.

You can't give different prizes to the Olympic gold medalist male at 100m and less to the Olympic gold medalist female at 100m.

Yes, she is slower, but it took her the same amount of work and sacrifice to be the best in her gender. She attracts as many spectators as the guys, so why less money for the ladies?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #1767
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Not a valid point imo.

Girls play 3 setters coz that's their maximum. Guys are stronger and they can play 5 setters.

Both genders have players doing singles and doubles at the same time.

You can't give different prizes to the Olympic gold medalist male at 100m and less to the Olympic gold medalist female at 100m.

Yes, she is slower, but it took her the same amount of work and sacrifice to be the best in her gender. She attracts as many spectators as th m, so why less money for the ladies?
That's a bad analogy as both athletes run 100. Currently men play best of 5, while women play best of 3. They are not putting in the same effort.

To use your analogy, would girls deserve same prize money if instead of 100m, they ran 80?
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #1768
country flag guyha4

guyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond reputeguyha4 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that in the womens event the final should be best of 5 as a start ..
its impossible that a woman who wins a slam with maximum 21 sets and men with minimum 21 sets and the same prize money

TT Doubles :
winner: Fergana CH 2011(w/ KittyTennis) , Marbella CH(w/Tal20)
guyha4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #1769
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
That's a bad analogy as both athletes run 100. Currently men play best of 5, while women play best of 3. They are not putting in the same effort.

To use your analogy, would girls deserve same prize money if instead of 100m, they ran 80?
It would be 100m versus 60m, if it's the same 5:3 ratio you want.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #1770
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can use the spring as a comparison but you can definitely do it with 5000m. Both men and women run the same distance. Women do NOT run 3000m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
118 pages of bull. Now comparing this with an average life example:

There's a Mcdonalds down the road. The employees there serve an average of say 5 people per minute. They earn £7.60 per hour.

There's a Burger King across the street from the Mcdonalds. The employees there serve an average of about 3 people per hour. They earn £7.60 per hour.

Now if Mcdonalds were the ATP and Burger King were WTA, which Tennis organisation sells the cheapest double cheeseburgers? Wait.. no, there was a point in there somewhere.
This is a fine example of BS and lack of reasoning as well as that other post about 3 countries being the important places (typical of some Americans' reasoning, of course).

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote