Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar - Page 37 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will he return?

He will recover and win 2 or more slams 142 58.44%
He will recover, and win 1 more slam 44 18.11%
He will recover, but never win another slam 37 15.23%
He will recover, but never get back to top 10 3 1.23%
He will never play another match again 17 7.00%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #541
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Spanish Press: Nadal not in DC etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoViking View Post
Nadal will return and win RG, and Wimbledon is possible with a good draw and some luck, but he is done at winning anything above 500 on hard. The sensible thing to do would be to only to play enough HC tournaments to maintain a top 4 ranking and consequently save his knees and prolong his career.
Too many people are saying this. Sorry, I just don't see it that way. He narrowly lost AO 2012 against Djokovic - the current king of AO - and previous to that he made the USO final.

If he comes back good enough to win RG, why can't he make the final days of the HC majors and give himself the chance of winning them, like he did earlier this year?
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #542
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Spanish Press: Nadal not in DC etc

Quote:
Nadal will return and win RG, and Wimbledon is possible with a good draw and some luck, but he is done at winning anything above 500 on hard. The sensible thing to do would be to only to play enough HC tournaments to maintain a top 4 ranking and consequently save his knees and prolong his career.
Hi there, SetSampras!

Apart from that - sensible post, I think I may agree on most of it.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #543
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he returns to his prior top level then he could definitely win another slam on hard. It won't be any more or less likely than it was before, which is to say, it will still be very difficult for him and he'll need things to fall in the right order.
moon language is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #544
country flag TechnoViking

TechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Too many people are saying this. Sorry, I just don't see it that way. He narrowly lost AO 2012 against Djokovic - the current king of AO - and previous to that he made the USO final.

If he comes back good enough to win RG, why can't he make the final days of the HC majors and give himself the chance of winning them, like he did earlier this year?
It was an exaggeration and it is possible, but it will be very hard for him to win more hard slams. Nadal is clear fourth favourite for the AUS 2013 open and it will be very difficult for him to win that tournament given the long lay off and the lack of match practice. The US open doesn't suit his game, as well, and he won't play to the 2010 level again on hard. Nole and Murray are clearly much better than him on hardcourt and he really needs to avoid playing them back to back in order to have a realistic shot.

He turns 27 next year which is when a lot of great players have not won any more, or very few grand slams, and it is very hard to tell how long it will take to regain a high level of play after such a long injury. Del Potro took a whole year and while this injury is not as serious his recovery time will be much longer due to age.

Overall I would give him about 10% chance to win the AUS although it is hard to price accurately until we can see his level after the layoff. That chance could be higher for future hard slams if Nadal comes back at a high level, but he will always be a big underdog.
TechnoViking is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #545
country flag TechnoViking

TechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond reputeTechnoViking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
If he returns to his prior top level then he could definitely win another slam on hard. It won't be any more or less likely than it was before, which is to say, it will still be very difficult for him and he'll need things to fall in the right order.
Returning to his previous top level, on any sort of consistent basis, is unlikely although he could win one if everything goes his way AKA USO 2012 and or he finds his top level for a couple of matches. If Nadal plays, for say another four years, then he has a decent chance of winning one more non clay slam, which will most likely be Wimbledon.
TechnoViking is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #546
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal will play another four years?! Someone is dreaming but dreams are free of charge no problem.Rafa will turn 27 next year and his style of play is so demanding on his body that i do not see him playing more than two years. If he does not win a GS next year or someone like Rosol happens it would be very tough for him to carry on. He is a boy on confidence and likes to win.Winning is everything for him.Rafa does not play because he loves the game.You can see what Djokovic did to him last year and Rafa lost his passion for the game.Federer can retire him but they both are like a day and night.I wish them a lot of luck because they are great players.
pepita1964 is online now View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #547
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

Someone needs to inform Topspindoctor that two-handed shots are for girls and small children--not grown men!
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #548
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why couldn't he win the Aussie again?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #549
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepita1964 View Post
That is why he became tennis player. He just does not have that aggressive mind, but if we speak about Federer he is the most aggressive player i have ever seen. He is always a step forward he does not know what is that to defend.Federer could be a striker just because of this aggressive mind
That's just silly.

Pull up a McEnroe match. There are plenty on youtube.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #550
country flag pepita1964

pepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond reputepepita1964 has a reputation beyond repute

McEnroe is a different player you can not compare this generation to McEnroe's.I am talking about current players.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #551
country flag pepita1964

You can watch Federer 19 years against Sampras at Wimbledon . Federer has such a variety in his game.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #552
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Returning to his previous top level, on any sort of consistent basis, is unlikely
We have no idea if it's likely or not.
moon language is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #553
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nadal will play another four years?!
Yes, he will. Maybe even more.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #554
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon language View Post
We have no idea if it's likely or not.
I think we do. Check out his interviews.
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!  
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #555
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can watch Federer 19 years against Sampras at Wimbledon . Federer has such a variety in his game.
federer doesn't play like that anymore

yes, he could have been the love child of sampras, edberg and lendl in a three-way, but that's not how things happened

nowadays, he looks aggressive because he's surrounded by defensive players, because he goes to the net occasionally, and in this slow court era, uses variety
Tag is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread