Is Djokovic's backhand DTL so good because he puts outside side-spin on it? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
country flag out_grinder
Banned!

out_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond reputeout_grinder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Djokovic's backhand DTL so good because he puts outside side-spin on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...rs5y6hI#t=110s

Check out the backhand here. Definitely swerves through the air and moves away from Murray's forehand on the bounce.

Could this be one of the secrets to his greatness off that wing?
out_grinder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
country flag MinioNole

MinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Djokovic's backhand DTL so good because he puts outside side-spin on it?

-------------------
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Djokovic's backhand DTL so good because he puts outside side-spin on it?

The spin on that shot was due to his contact point being closer to his body than he'd usually like. Also his bodily momentum towards the middle of the court. It shows how adaptable Novak is on his backhand. His adaptability and ability to middle the ball given different feeds are some of the signs of his awesome backhand. Not so much the side spin as it is more circumstantial and doesn't happen that much. Not like Nadal's forehand side spin for instance.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
The spin on that shot was due to his contact point being closer to his body than he'd usually like. Also his bodily momentum towards the middle of the court. It shows how adaptable Novak is on his backhand. His adaptability and ability to middle the ball given different feeds are some of the signs of his awesome backhand. Not so much the side spin as it is more circumstantial and doesn't happen that much. Not like Nadal's forehand side spin for instance.
Great answer and great points. Djokovic has dexterity and flexibility that allows him to contort his body into whichever position is suitable to get a good hit point. This is especially noticeable on the return (the shot which typically gives a player the least time). Being aggressive off a body serve is extremely difficult, I've never seen anybody who can do it as well as Djokovic.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, the kind of spin he places is miniscule at best in general. It isn't very extreme like Rafa's forehand where the ball really curls away when he hits it crosscourt, something I've seen Federer exploit by bring Rafa into the net and forcing Nadal to hit his forehand down the line. But anyways that is besides the point, the real strength in Novak's backhand DTL is merely his ability to pull the shot off when it matters most. I mean like some of the great backhands in this field, like those of Nalbandian and Davydenko, they had tremendous success with their backhands as well, especially with their DTL one. So honestly, Novak's backhand, while being a superb shot especially defensively, is not really too unique or even "better" than the backhands of someone like Nalbandian or Davydenko. However, the difference is that he is much more mentally tough than such players, so this is what truly separates him as he is able to use that shot in pressure moments.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly because he can hit it 140-150km/h and has the timing and confidence to use the shot when given opportunity, even on serves. Having outside side-spin is unnecessary. It's the depth and power making it hard to control, not side-spin
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
That's the perfect answer for this question.

I'd add - Djokovic's game has this little advantage of him being able to play better the shots when out of position, as he has an extraordinary body flexibility.

For example half the defensive BH slices Federer plays when attacked, Djokovic can bend and twist his body in a way that allows him to actually play a half offensive shot instead. I have actually never seen this in any other player, perhaps Monfils has the body predisposition to play such shots, but he hasn't perfected these as much as Nole.

The Serbian is way more comfortable playing balls on the stretch, rather inside the body.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote