The Federer Decline Thread - Page 84 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #1246
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did Federer lose his prime forehand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Never. His speed and footwork declined, not his FH per se.
Not really. Federer shanks shots these days where he has 10 years to set up and hit it.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #1247
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

I would say 2008, but it's not entierly gone. Much like his career in general, post peak, his forehand comes and goes in brilliance.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #1248
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

When he started playing prime guys like Rafa, Novak and Murray. When he was against Roddick, Baghdatis, and geriatric Agassi it was unstoppable.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #1249
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather ask when it became so easy attacking Feds serve, it doesnt always happen but sometimes nowadays you see players like Murray and Berdych just ripping on Feds 2nd serve and sometimes 1st serve. I think I remember Nalbandian doing that on indoor courts at some point in Feds peak, but even then Fed had the footwork to respond to those attacks unlike nowadays.

I dont recall anyone able to attack Nadals serve like that since he improved his serve, neither Djokovic's which is strange. At the same time Feds 2nd serve can be very effective if he gets it going, his 2 main rivals; Djokovic and Nadal doesnt really have the ability to attack it.

I think the key change to the worse in Feds game is that he has so much more difficulty to turn defense to offense compared to before because of slower footwork, so if you put him on the defensive nowadays you will put him out of balance, Murray has understood this and stopped pushing against Federer but attacks alot. In fact Murray is more offensive against Federer than Nadal and Djokovic who still think pushing for mistakes still is the most effective way to beat Federer.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #1250
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guga2120 View Post
When he started playing prime guys like Rafa, Novak and Murray. When he was against Roddick, Baghdatis, and geriatric Agassi it was unstoppable.
Some examples of when Federer's forehand was on fire: USO 2008 final, WTF 2011 RR vs. Nadal, Cincinnati 2009 final (first set anyway).
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #1251
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Some examples of when Federer's forehand was on fire: USO 2008 final, WTF 2011 RR vs. Nadal, Cincinnati 2009 final (first set anyway).
Cincinnati 2012 final and Indian Wells 2012 SF .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On "vulturing" Shanghai
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
lucky win with Mayer, easy draw, Simon choked, Dull with appendicitis, Nole to become father, closed roof from organizers, Del Potro injured, Hrbaty retired
plenty to pick from
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #1252
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Federer won Wimbledon outplaying Murray and Djokovic with his backhand and volleying alot in the final, his forehand was very up and down. If you attack Federer's forehand side you will get alot of points, too many players get stuck in backhand rally exchanges and dare not go to the forehand believing Federer can move to his forehand side as fast as in his peak.

Djokovic is one player who really is surprisingly passive against Federer when he got weapons to be alot more offensive, that is probably why he still gets outplayed by 31 year old Federer on faster surfaces.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #1253
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
For me it`s easier with his backhand. Now looks like Fed always had this swing to be his main weakness, but till 2008 I never was scared every time he played backhand. But then... I think it had a lot to do with his loss to Nadal at Wimbledon. Not like before he hit the ball without EU and later couldn`t find a court, but something changed at least in my sensation. Cincy, Toronto, OG, even victory at US - backhand always gave a lot to think about. Hovewer Fed`s forehand remained to destroy opponents from any position.

But at some moment Fed lost it too. I mean he still has some great stretches with different kinds of shots from "open" racquet, but misses started to increase and the feeling about inevitable punishment for player who dared to hit the ball to Federer`s strong hand disappeared.

I was trying to remember my impressions, when I felt it happening the first time, but just can`t. Surely, the most important reason here is declining in speed. A bit worse footwork and so on. Such things always consist of many factors.

Anyone?
Winner of Wimbledon, 6 titles so far in 2012, and #1 in the world with a declined fh
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #1254
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

His forehand is still there - it just looks much worse in comaprison to prime Nadal's. That's why people think it has declined.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #1255
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
His forehand is still there - it just looks much worse in comaprison to prime Nadal's. That's why people think it has declined.
Incomparable, one is a liquid whip, the other is a cyclone. Both are good for different reasons.
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #1256
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Incomparable, one is a liquid whip, the other is a cyclone. Both are good for different reasons.
Nadal can hit both flat and with superspin when at his best. Olderer can hit flat, but his pure topspin FH is significantly weaker, there is a reason why Nadal has the greatest FH down the line and passing shots. The thing that put Olderer's FH above Nadal a few years ago is the pure flat drive, which Nadal somewhat lacked. After 2008, IMO, Nadal's FH has become the greatest shot in this sport.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #1257
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Nadal can hit both flat and with superspin when at his best. Olderer can hit flat, but his pure topspin FH is significantly weaker, there is a reason why Nadal has the greatest FH down the line and passing shots. The thing that put Olderer's FH above Nadal a few years ago is the pure flat drive, which Nadal somewhat lacked. After 2008, IMO, Nadal's FH has become the greatest shot in this sport.
Just the opposite is true. Federer has a great flat and topspin fh. Nadal has a great topspin fh but he lacks the flat drive.
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #1258
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #1259
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
I would rather ask when it became so easy attacking Feds serve, it doesnt always happen but sometimes nowadays you see players like Murray and Berdych just ripping on Feds 2nd serve and sometimes 1st serve. I think I remember Nalbandian doing that on indoor courts at some point in Feds peak, but even then Fed had the footwork to respond to those attacks unlike nowadays.

I dont recall anyone able to attack Nadals serve like that since he improved his serve, neither Djokovic's which is strange. At the same time Feds 2nd serve can be very effective if he gets it going, his 2 main rivals; Djokovic and Nadal doesnt really have the ability to attack it.

I think the key change to the worse in Feds game is that he has so much more difficulty to turn defense to offense compared to before because of slower footwork, so if you put him on the defensive nowadays you will put him out of balance, Murray has understood this and stopped pushing against Federer but attacks alot. In fact Murray is more offensive against Federer than Nadal and Djokovic who still think pushing for mistakes still is the most effective way to beat Federer.
I think you answered here yourself about serve. I can easily find out when Rogie`s troubles with back increasing by looking on his average figures on 1st and 2nd serve speed. For example here in Shanghai he was far from OK, his 1st serve was ridiculously slow by any rate.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #1260
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Winner of Wimbledon, 6 titles so far in 2012, and #1 in the world with a declined fh