The Federer Decline Thread - Page 83 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #1231
country flag Aloevera

Aloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond reputeAloevera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (Is he done, will he win another Slam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
He won 7 times at Wimbledon.

An opportunist would be someone who gets lucky and wins just once there. A fluke. Never to reach the final again and who won because he avoided the best player on grass.

IF Nadal were to lose in the QF of RG in 2013(to a ballbasher) but then won RG in 2014(avoiding Djokovic and ballbashers), would he be considered an opportunist? Of course not. You don't fluke a slam 7 or 8 times.
I don't mean to say that it would be a mere fluke if he wins a slam these days. Of course he still has to create the opportunity himself. But it's getting harder because he's not as dominant as before where he didn't need to depend much on opportunities unexpectedly arisen in favor of him to win a slam, hence why he's able to win so many times.
Aloevera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #1232
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

won wimbledon, silver medal at olympics, several masters and is no1 in the world

complete mug, this federer
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #1233
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

He's declining since 2007, nothing new here. Simply, he was so high when his fall began, he's still competitive despite struggling against big hitters and losing his power, reactivity, stamina and consistency.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #1234
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohnbert has a reputation beyond repute

everybody knows it will be very hard to get #18. it was already a milestone he achieved #17 and the #1-record at wimby. so there's no reason for panic again. he should rest up and prepare for the indoors season. next try at the ao 2013, simple as that
Johnbert is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #1235
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's slow decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post

quote me in 3 years time
Decent
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #1236
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's slow decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post

quote me in 3 years time
u were on the right track

nadal spoiled the party... again
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #1237
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

why not have one more slam run in him?

too much to ask?

meh, what does he really have left to prove?

done it all, won it all
Old 10-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #1238
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute
Default When did Federer lose his prime forehand?

For me it`s easier with his backhand. Now looks like Fed always had this swing to be his main weakness, but till 2008 I never was scared every time he played backhand. But then... I think it had a lot to do with his loss to Nadal at Wimbledon. Not like before he hit the ball without EU and later couldn`t find a court, but something changed at least in my sensation. Cincy, Toronto, OG, even victory at US - backhand always gave a lot to think about. Hovewer Fed`s forehand remained to destroy opponents from any position.

But at some moment Fed lost it too. I mean he still has some great stretches with different kinds of shots from "open" racquet, but misses started to increase and the feeling about inevitable punishment for player who dared to hit the ball to Federer`s strong hand disappeared.

I was trying to remember my impressions, when I felt it happening the first time, but just can`t. Surely, the most important reason here is declining in speed. A bit worse footwork and so on. Such things always consist of many factors.

Anyone?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #1239
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did Federer lose his prime forehand?

Federer is still winning slams, playing semis and finals against younger, faster, stronger players.

He's not doing it with his BH slice and will only.

Fed's FH is right there still. You just got confused by the scene, the oponent and the period.

And mainly the oponent. Watch him against Cilic and you don't get any of these mixed feelings.

Watch him winning Wimbie with all the best guys around, etc.

Fed is losing 3 things only - 1. Highest motivation at non slams. 2. His footwork (which increases his semi forced errors and makes him play more defensive BH slices) And last but not least and the part i'm most concerned about - his serve.

I fear his back problems have become irrevirsible and he's doing what he can with the pain constantly there.

You can't lose your speed of serve and coordination just like that, it doesn't take much stamina, it's you and the ball.

And we saw him today trying at times to hit a strong first serve to get a free point and it was going miles away, like 2 meters out.

At this moment he's just serving a strong second serve for his first and a weak second serve as second, which is the prime of his problems imho.

The back is probably why he said he needed longer rest and this kind of pain goes almost fully away only from resting, then it's fully back after one tournament.

That's where all the problems come from.

If Cilic and the type can't do much against a 190kph sliced first serve, being pretty much Roger's maximum atm, it is hardly an issue for the better players.

I fear that during next season Fed's back will force him to retire, maybe after Wimby.

Hopefully his docs find a way to overcome this problem, but often this kind of problem is irrevirsible except with surgery, so i fear it might be the case with Roger.

Anyways, the guy would have retired one year ago, he would still be the best who ever played the game for me, so now with N17 and the OG silver he's there big time already.
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #1240
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Hm, hard to say really. I'd say 2008.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #1241
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he ever lost it per se. He simply started slowing down back in 2008, starting shanking too much and mishitting shots the prime Fed would not miss. It's normal tho. I know many people here see Fed as immortal but he is just human. Nobody can sustain that level of play and Fed will retire at some point. Give a guy a break. Millions of matches on the internet to watch and admire his skills.

I'd say probably the best FH ever, although I'll always fight for Gonzo in this category . Sorry to bring Gonzo here, but when I see his FH I feel like 'I want sex now',
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #1242
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has never been the same player since he contracted mono. That year he played lights out for the first two matches of the Aussie Open then won a grueling five setter against Tipsarevic and since then he has never fully recovered.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #1243
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

He hasn't lost it it just materialises alot more seldom than it used to. Even in 2012 Fed has played some matches where his Fh has been just superb. He lost the consistancy and aura around it in about 2008 when Rafa started to give him pain.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #1244
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

When he realised Tdoc rates Nadal's better than his. It's all mental.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #1245
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Never. His speed and footwork declined, not his FH per se.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote