One thing I dont understand about Djokovic's defence... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One thing I dont understand about Djokovic's defence...

Better to come to the net and volley his defensive balls than try to grind him out, imo.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satasonic View Post
Nah, Djokovic has an average forehand compared to most of the top guys and it is very, very attackable and weak.
Lol, I don't know what were you watching. Nole doesn't hit FH like Federer for sure, but saying it's very weak is downright clueless
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
country flag Steelq

Steelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond reputeSteelq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nah, Djokovic has an average forehand compared to most of the top guys and it is very, very attackable and weak. His backhand is his money shot, no doubt about it. Murray won almost all of the forehand to forehand rallies in the match (there was a statistic in the USOpen final where I think Murray won about 85% of those), and Murray has a weak forehand.

Also, Murray doesnt play any "rhythm breaking" game. He is waiting for errors and thats it.
Wtf am i reading here!?Have you watched any of Djokovic's last year matches?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
country flag Nole Rules

Nole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond reputeNole Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nah, Djokovic has an average forehand compared to most of the top guys and it is very, very attackable and weak. His backhand is his money shot, no doubt about it. Murray won almost all of the forehand to forehand rallies in the match (there was a statistic in the USOpen final where I think Murray won about 85% of those), and Murray has a weak forehand.

Also, Murray doesnt play any "rhythm breaking" game. He is waiting for errors and thats it.
Nole Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond repute

apparently there's more than just one thing that you don't understand
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to outgrind Djokovic is probably the worst tactic imaginable. Not even Nadal can do it most of the time. If you don't have comparable defensive skills forget it - he'll just turn into the aggressor.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #22
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to pick your spots and mix it up.

But attacking tennis does work against Nole, provided you actually come to the net and put away his loopy defensive shots. Players who don't do that end up having to hit about 3 winners a point rather than 1.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
Rogael Naderer

Its very difficult to beat Djokovic when he is not missing. Unlike Nadal who primarily relies on his footspeed or Murray who relies on his superb anticipation skills to retrieve balls, Djokovic plays a different type of defence and uses his flexibility to retrieve balls. His flexibility allows him to slide on HC making his lateral movement on the court very effective that even when he is in a defensive position he isn't pushed 10 m behind like Nadal thereby not allowing opponents enough angles so opponents have to either hit through him or come to net thereby making errors. One thing to note here is though he doesn't move as well on grass as its not easy to slide there.

Why can't everyone just hook the ball side to side like Murray did at USO and try to outgrind him? Well firstly there are a handful of guys who can match Nole's stamina. Not sure why you say its overrated? The man freaking won AO after playing 11 hours of tennis in 2 days (thats another thing though he was lucky or not during the match, thats subjective ) and has played the most tennis this year.

Secondly, Djokovic has an uncanny ability of keeping the balls deep even on the run converting defence into attack like none other so opponent who is basically trying to move him side to side is immediately put on the backfoot if he is not good at taking deep balls early. Thats why players who have a large swings like Berdych, Nadal struggle against Djokovic. Federer and Murray have far more compact swings so they deal with those deep balls well (Federer can even half volley from baseline actually ). And ofcourse both these guys have a good slice in their arsenal which others seem to lack and Djokovic doesn't like low balls that much.

Btw I dont think USO 2012 final is a good barometer to judge.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The OP doesn't have a clue about the sport or Djokovic's strengths and weaknesses.

Got to attack him, mix up the rhythm, get him off the baseline and take the few chances. Since he defends that well, trying to outlast him doesn't work as he will go down the lines if the opponent is too passive and they'll be defending.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #25
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First of all, before you start reading this post, I DO KNOW that its easier to speak than to actually go out there and get it done. Professional players, however, should know better.

We all know that Djokovic has got excellent defensive, and defence to offense skills. Djokovic's game revolves around returning every ball as long as he can, forcing his opponent to go closer and closer to the line, or to approach the net with terrible approach shots. If Djokovic manages to put his opponents in a defensive position, he often chooses to slap a winner in the court. Really effective.

One thing, I dont understand however. Why do most of the opponents choose to attack Djokovic's almost inpenetrable defence? In my opinion (once again, Im not a professional tennis player, easier said than done) if you choose to grind Djokovic down and simply move him from side to side with no pace balls, Djokovic will eventually lose his temper and try to go for winners, which he doesnt do well. Ive seen this many times in the past, and more recently Federer at Wimbledon. Ive watched the entire match, and all Federer did was serve well and move Djokovic from side to side hoping for errors. Ive also noticed how badly Djokovic returns body serves, but thats a different topic than this one.

For example, I dont understand why a player like Ferrer tries to go for winners, when he is the person who should be pushing and grinding people down. I dont understand why a player like Haas who can play some great tennis chooses to paint the lines when it is obviously not necessary.

Look at the USOpen final. Not a spectacular match by any means, but Murray was playing some really effective grinding tennis in the 3 sets that he won. He wasnt making winners, he wasnt serving well. He simply grinded down a tired Djokovic.

Djokovic's stamina isnt as good as people credit it to be.

Opinions on this? Be subjective and dont be tards, thanks.
Simply you don't understand many things.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

if you grind with nole and you hit a short ball he can transition to attack like no one else

thats the difference between nadal and nole- nole has a very strong attack

only a finesse player like fed who can hit insane winners and go toe to toe in attack mode can beat a 2011 version of nole- no one else even has a chance
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But its true, for example Murray has much better stamina than Djokovic. Federer can grind Djokovic as well. Nadal should too. Ferrer should be able to as well.

When Nadal lost to Djokovic 6 or 7 times in a row last year, I didnt understand why. Nadal chose to quit his moonball strategy and actually paint the lines, which is wrong and which was the reason he lost. Against Djokovic you must grind, theres no other way to defeat Djokovic.
LOL Djokovic has the best stamina on tour now that Nadal is hurt........watch some tennis you mug
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

He outnadaled Nadal last year. So no, if you are not Nadal and maybe, just maybe Murray (in some matches) you really CAN'T outgrind him. Who do you pick to do that?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
country flag uxyzapenje

uxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond reputeuxyzapenje has a reputation beyond repute

Also 'he has a weak FH'?? Ok, maybe not as strong as Delpo's, Nadal's and Fed's (and some few other players') but it good enough not to be talked about as his weakness.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
country flag Winner Seaker
Banned!

Winner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond reputeWinner Seaker has a reputation beyond repute

Much bigger experts in game of tennis cannot figure Djokovic, and how to beat him. So you dont need to blame yourself.
Winner Seaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote