Why are ballbashers more highly regarded than tacticians like Murray? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #91
country flag Mercury

Mercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are ballbashers more highly regarded than tacticians like Murray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post

Tell me Murray is never fun to watch again.
I just watched the 2 first points in this vid. It took 2 min 13 sec and was 99% a tedious boring snooze fest of moaning from the baseline with the occasional game of tennis breaking out for the last 3 strokes of a rally.

Seriously, how you can regard that as fun is beyond me.
Mercury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #92
country flag Gris

Gris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond reputeGris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are ballbashers more highly regarded than tacticians like Murray?

Ballbashers' matches are more interesting to watch
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #93
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
I just watched the 2 first points in this vid. It took 2 min 13 sec and was 99% a tedious boring snooze fest of moaning from the baseline with the occasional game of tennis breaking out for the last 3 strokes of a rally.

Seriously, how you can regard that as fun is beyond me.
Watch the rest- most the points aren't more than a handful of strokes. If you can't appreciate that then

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #94
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Because Ballbashing is a Talent. To Hit the Ball hard and to make it land in the Court is a Skill and is an Aggressive Style of Play While the Tacticians use Shrewd techniques to Win the Point. Always an Aggrressive Team or Player will be lauded more than a Defensive Player because Agressive tactics require more Effort while Defensive Players mainly prey on opponents Mistakes.

Attack is way more Difficult than Defense and Thats why it is appreciated and rightly so.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #95
country flag Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Watch the rest- most the points aren't more than a handful of strokes. If you can't appreciate that then
Those winners are just an illusion.

People don't like Murray and they have been told that he's too passive for years. Once a pusher, always a pusher. At least on this site. He could hit 400 winners in his match today and would still be considered a pusher.
Cereal Killer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #96
country flag 70-68

70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute

attack >>> defense

however, "pushers" with variety >>> one dimensional ballbashers
70-68 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #97
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining View Post
Those winners are just an illusion.

People don't like Murray and they have been told that he's too passive for years. Once a pusher, always a pusher. At least on this site. He could hit 400 winners in his match today and would still be considered a pusher.
It's like they haven't watched him play in years.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #98
country flag Mercury

Mercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond reputeMercury has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah alright, being at work and short on time I was pissed by the first 2 points and didn't watch the rest, it is actually quite a spectacular match by Murray and watching him destroy Nadal's moonballs from the baseline was an absolute joy, but that just adds to the point of this thread, the man ball bashed out of his mind in that 3rd set bagel and it's a joy to watch, the baseline pushing marathons in the first set were more representative of his usual style of play and that's why he's appreciated less, it's simply less fun to watch...

Last edited by Mercury : 10-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Mercury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #99
country flag chalkdust

chalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond reputechalkdust has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main thing people resent in Murray's play is the fact that he is capable of seizing the initiative more than he does, and that in fact this would be to his own advantage, as well as more exciting to watch.

If a tactic works, it is tough to say it is wrong, even if it is boring, and you therefore have to respect it. But often it is Andy's passivity that can cost him a match, or make a match much longer than it needs to be, which can cost him a match later in the tournament.

I was really struck by the fact that, in the US Open final, it was Djokovic who came to the net more often - and successfully - even though Andy is probably a more natural volleyer.

As regards ball-bashing, the slowness of the courts these days has really deprived all but the most powerful players of even the option of playing in that style. Viewed in that light, you can't really complain about players who are not 1.95 metres tall if they choose to play more conservatively. After all, if your hardest shot is still not hard enough to get past your opponent, there is no point in going all out, because you are likely to make more errors for no conceivable benefit.

This is why everyone wants the courts speeded up, because we know that will give more players the opportunity to play aggressively, and get rid of this tendency in tennis for lumbering giants (the only people who can ball-bash on slow courts) to slug it out in a game of roulette with actual tennis players of normal size and athleticism.

Federer, of course, is the exception, a great athlete and a sensational player in both attack and defence.
chalkdust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #100
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post

Can compare to other sports like boxing. Who would people rather watch? A tactician that spends round after round trying to avoid hits while countering getting points to win by decision, or someone who goes for a knockout even if it can cost him the match?
Real boxing fans wouldn't care. Only casual fans care about knockouts, the real fans are more interested in technique. Its not the same on MTF here, people have a very immature mindset towards tennis.

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #101
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if we are to talk about boxing, the thread should be renamed to:

"Why are facebashers more highly regarded than tacticians like ..."

Or football:

"Why are goalbasher teams more highly regarded than tacticians like ..."
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #102
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

"Nadal the greatest forehand in tennis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #103
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute

For the same reasons people care about who wins the 100m at the Olympics but almost no one gives a shit about the 3000m steeplechase.
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #104
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
Real boxing fans wouldn't care. Only casual fans care about knockouts, the real fans are more interested in technique. Its not the same on MTF here, people have a very immature mindset towards tennis.
there are fans of pretty much every player and every style on these forums . Just because they see things differently from the way you see them, doesnt make their mindset immature. Also, I'm getting abit tired of people claiming that there are "real fans" of any sport, and ofcourse telling others what those "real fans" prefer.

So to add some nuance here. I prefer to watch attacking tennis, because I like it when players take risks. I can also appreciate good tactics on court though. I just don't like it when players keep the ball in play with the sole reason of hoping to draw errors from their opponent.
Jverweij is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #105
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's the saddest thing about Murray. He has the ability to play good attacking tennis but he chooses to pissfart around 80% of the time.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote