In-depth analysis of matchups/matchup issues between ATP players - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst matchup issues between top (10/20) players

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post
Your reasons are valid, but it doesn't explain Andreev-Wawrinka (0-1), Andreev-Gasquet (4-5) or Andreev-Youzhny (1-3) though.
Those players are all much better than Andreev; unlike Nadal with his top spin FH, Andreev doesn't have that much more to his game to be more than an awkward matchup. 4-5 vs Gasquet is far closer than their difference in quality as players for instance.

With that said, although the top spin FH to one handed BH is a big issue, 7-0 suggests that there might be something more in his matchup vs Kohli. Never watched any of those seven matches in its entirety so can't say for sure, but maybe someone who did might shed some light on other patterns of play that led to such a one sided H2H.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Those players are all much better than Andreev; unlike Nadal with his top spin FH, Andreev doesn't have that much more to his game to be more than an awkward matchup. 4-5 vs Gasquet is far closer than their difference in quality as players for instance.

With that said, although the top spin FH to one handed BH is a big issue, 7-0 suggests that there might be something more in his matchup vs Kohli. Never watched any of those seven matches in its entirety so can't say for sure, but maybe someone who did might shed some light on other patterns of play that led to such a one sided H2H.
To go slightly off topic, where is Andreev lately, I see he recently played DC, but hasn't played since?

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #18
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
To go slightly off topic, where is Andreev lately, I see he recently played DC, but hasn't played since?

Still in depression after Kiri left him to bang some hockey gorilla.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #19
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

The Berdych vs Nadal matchup is an anomaly honestly... Lenders doesn't acknowledge the fact that Berdych was well on his way to be a true nightmare for Rafa, being 3:1 up in the H2H. But for whatever reason, after Berdych beat Rafa in front of the Spanish crowd and hushed the crowd, he appeared to almost feel bad for Rafa and suddenly lost any sort of belief of beating Nadal. I mean he has the right game to beat Rafa.. tall, flat powerful groundstrokes, strong (but inconsistent) serve and he doesn't mind finishing a point off at the net. He merely lacks confidence.. Look at their matches at the Australian Open and Rome this year. Yes, Rafa played very well, but Berdych played some points very poorly at the most important moments. That lack of confidence is the story of Berdych's life since 2006. I mean you can't tell me you don't see a difference between his mental attitude when he faces Roger the past few years compared to facing Rafa the past few years. Literally it seems like his belief against Roger and Rafa reversed, because at the beginning, he seemed to have no belief against Federer either (aside from their Olympics meeting in 2004), he since that Miami match in 2010 he suddenly got confidence.

Overall, the list is OK, however, perhaps you give technical aspects a bit too much respect in many of these respective matchups. Much of these issues also stem from confidence between two players. I mean there are several examples where a certain player has a positive H2H record against one but a negative H2H record against another yet both opponents have a similar game.. I guess the Nishikori example could work here where Kei hasn't beaten Juan Martin yet he is 3:1 against Berdych. Obviously there are certainly many other factors involved here, and it may be so that Del Potro just plainly may be a better player than Berdych, but their games are comparable. Kei clearly lacks the confidence against Del Potro yet he seems calm against Berdych.

Last edited by HKz : 10-09-2012 at 04:36 AM.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #20
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Still in depression after Kiri left him to bang some hockey gorilla.
At least he got Kiri in the first place

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but three

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #21
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
The Berdych vs Nadal matchup is an anomaly honestly... Lenders doesn't acknowledge the fact that Berdych was well on his way to be a true nightmare for Rafa, being 3:1 up in the H2H. But for whatever reason, after Berdych beat Rafa in front of the Spanish crowd and hushed the crowd, he appeared to almost feel bad for Rafa and suddenly any sort of belief of beating Nadal. I mean he has the right game to beat Rafa.. tall, flat powerful groundstrokes, strong (but inconsistent) serve and he doesn't mind finishing a point off at the net. He merely lacks confidence.. Look at their matches at the Australian Open and Rome this year. Yes, Rafa played very well, but Berdych played some points very poorly at the most important moments. That lack of confidence is the story of Berdych's life since 2006. I mean you can't tell me you don't see a difference between his mental attitude when he faces Roger the past few years compared to facing Rafa the past few years. Literally it seems like his belief against Roger and Rafa reversed, because at the beginning, he seemed to have no belief against Federer either (aside from their Olympics meeting in 2004), he since that Miami match in 2010 he suddenly got confidence.
Maybe he doesn't have enough confidence and effort for both at the same time, so he started with Rafa, cause he was easier, when he got the hang of Rafa, he wanted to move onto the GOAT in his mind, and show him that he's the real GOAT, at least in their matches.

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Davydenko - Gonzalez 6-0 14-1 in sets for Kolya:
Reason: Davydenko's playing fast thus exploiting Gonzos huge backswing on the forehand side but not with firepower but with speed and accuracy thus his punching sliced backhand isn't working cause it has little backswing and it is alot harder to counterpunch weaker than more powerful shots.

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

nice thread Mark! Gotta say I'm abit surprised about the honest review of Ferrer. Almost seems like you respect him
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #24
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure in all the match-ups you've mentioned in the article. The better and higher ranked player wins, which is what you'd expect, regardless of playstyle… no?
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #25
country flag J99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
nice thread Mark! Gotta say I'm abit surprised about the honest review of Ferrer. Almost seems like you respect him
That's cause he's changed his tune since he got found out.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

In most H2Hs I've observed that the ability of the players to read the opponent's serve plays a huge role, huger than the aspects of the rallies. It's really strange but this ability varies a lot : it's far from being as easy as to say "X is a great server, Y is a poor returner then ...", it really depends who is against who.

For Fed against Ferrer, Söderling and Davydenko (also Del Potro), his alternance with the sliced backhand also plays an important role.

Quote:
Add to that the fact that Ferrer can't return the Federer serve if his life depended on it and you have the most one sided head-to-head in top level tennis, only likely to become even more one sided.
I'm a Fedfan but I disagree with the final part of your comment.

7 out of 13 matches between Fed and Ferrer were until the beginning of 2007 when Ferrer was not at his best yet and Fed was in his prime.

Since then, the 2 matches they played on clay were both in Madrid, which is Fed's best clay tournament, esp. this year with the blue clay (the previous one was in 2010 and was actually tight).

Ferrer is too good on clay for Fed to feel that comfortable against him. 3-1 against Djokovic on clay (and Djoko struggled in his only win in Madrid 2011), come on ...

The other 4 matches they played after Hamburg 2007 were for 3 of them in the WTF (indoors) and Cincy, Fed's favorite tournaments.

Besides, Ferrer has won 4 (and not 3 as you said) sets in the 7 last matches they played. Ferrer has improved (notably the DTL backhands) and also he has found better tactics against Fed in their last matches, especially the forehand DTL moonballs to his backhand (followed by a crosscourt forehand sometimes).

Then no, I disagree that this H2H can only get worse, I rather think this H2H is too favourable for Fed at the moment.

Quote:
Del Potro vs Nishikori

4-0 Del Potro, 10-0 in sets, most of them blowouts. Complete ownage.

Reasons:

-Del Potro's power/foreand. Kei likes (and manages) to dictate from the baseline even against huge hitters like Tsonga and Berdych, but he can't deal with Delpo's power and all. Especially JMDP's forehand that constantly pushes him far behind the baseline. Despite his quickness around the court, Kei lacks world class defensive skills and really struggles when he's forced to play defense, which he invariably is against Delpo. His lack of a serve allows JMDP to have the initiative even on his serve games and break him time and again (20 breaks in 10 sets). Will be tough for Kei to even win a set in this matchup in the future if he can't come up with a different strategy, rallying with Del Potro is a losing battle as the Argentine easily overpowers him.
Nishikori leads 3-1 against Berdych, 2-0 against Tsonga, I don't think it's a matter of power.

People usually mix them all under the name of "big hitters" but imo, and I observed it makes a big difference in the way the H2Hs are with many players, Del Po and Söderling are very different from Tsonga and Berdych, in the fact that they make fewer errors and their game is based on constant power and depth (you talked a little bit about depth about Del Po and that's very important) rather than accelerations like Tsonga and Berdych. Besides, Del Po and Söderling use some spin whereas Tsonga and especially Berdych (Cilic as well) play much flatter.

Besides, contrary to you, I think Nishikori has the ability to defeat Del Po in the future, just needs to adapt his strategy, I saw their match in Wimbledon and it was far from easy for Del Po and the commentator also said that Nishikori didn't use the right strategy.

Quote:
Djokovic vs Cilic

7-0 Djokovic, one set for Cilic with 9-7 in the tiebreak. All very straightforward wins for Novak.

Reasons:

-Cilic's serve is horrible for a guy his size and a liability in general (not that strong 1st serve, poor %), Djokovic is the best returner on tour... you do the Math.

-Nole can easily frustrate Marin with his defense, making him go for too much and leak errors. Nole can even overpower him at times as well. There's basically no safe place to go for Marin in this matchup.
Cilic doesn't like great defenders and playaers who have good depth, I also remember it was his main problem against Del Po.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
How about Ferrer-Almagro 11-0?
you know I'm usually nice with Ferrer and don't consider him only as a grinder, but for this one, the main explanation is Ferrer exhausting Almagro.

Very often in their matches the beginning was tight or in Almagro's favour, but at one moment Almagro got exhausted and it flew away in Ferrer's favour. Especially as 8 of the matches they played against each other were on clay.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
The Berdych vs Nadal matchup is an anomaly honestly... Lenders doesn't acknowledge the fact that Berdych was well on his way to be a true nightmare for Rafa, being 3:1 up in the H2H. But for whatever reason, after Berdych beat Rafa in front of the Spanish crowd and hushed the crowd, he appeared to almost feel bad for Rafa and suddenly lost any sort of belief of beating Nadal. I mean he has the right game to beat Rafa.. tall, flat powerful groundstrokes, strong (but inconsistent) serve and he doesn't mind finishing a point off at the net. He merely lacks confidence.. Look at their matches at the Australian Open and Rome this year. Yes, Rafa played very well, but Berdych played some points very poorly at the most important moments. That lack of confidence is the story of Berdych's life since 2006. I mean you can't tell me you don't see a difference between his mental attitude when he faces Roger the past few years compared to facing Rafa the past few years. Literally it seems like his belief against Roger and Rafa reversed, because at the beginning, he seemed to have no belief against Federer either (aside from their Olympics meeting in 2004), he since that Miami match in 2010 he suddenly got confidence.

Overall, the list is OK, however, perhaps you give technical aspects a bit too much respect in many of these respective matchups. Much of these issues also stem from confidence between two players. I mean there are several examples where a certain player has a positive H2H record against one but a negative H2H record against another yet both opponents have a similar game.. I guess the Nishikori example could work here where Kei hasn't beaten Juan Martin yet he is 3:1 against Berdych. Obviously there are certainly many other factors involved here, and it may be so that Del Potro just plainly may be a better player than Berdych, but their games are comparable. Kei clearly lacks the confidence against Del Potro yet he seems calm against Berdych.
The only anomaly was Berdych winning 3 of the first 4 matches really. As soon as Rafa 'peaked' it was over, starting with Wimbledon 2007. His first serve % is too low, his net game nothing to write home again, and his strokes while powerful are too short and compact to really hit through Rafa on very slow surfaces; against Rafa, taking bigger cuts at the ball usually has a better effect, he usually has little trouble retrieving Tomas's shots until he makes an error. Of course he lacks belief against Rafa, I'd lack belief too if I lost 20 sets in a row, most in blowout fashion, against the same guy. AO this year has only further dented that confidence, he played a brilliant match hitting lines and corners for the most part and still lost in 4.

Kei can dictate play against Berdych, move him around... against Del Potro he can't. He's forced to constantly be on the defensive where he's not comfortable at all. The main difference is that JMDP has the biggest forehand in men's tennis and Kei can't deal with the pace/weight at all, he's constantly pushed back and forced to defend. That's the difference; vs Berdych you see Kei dictating most points, moving Tomas around, vs Delpo you see him being pushed back every time JMDP gets a full swing on a FH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
Reason: Davydenko's playing fast thus exploiting Gonzos huge backswing on the forehand side but not with firepower but with speed and accuracy thus his punching sliced backhand isn't working cause it has little backswing and it is alot harder to counterpunch weaker than more powerful shots.

Good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
Almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I'm pretty sure in all the match-ups you've mentioned in the article. The better and higher ranked player wins, which is what you'd expect, regardless of playstyle… no?
Yup. You expect them to win, but you don't expect them to be so dominant eg. Berdych is certainly too good a player to lose 20 consecutive sets against anyone.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
davydenko's speed also disturbs Del Po a lot : Davydenko leads 3-2 but one match was lost because of a retirement, and the other one was on clay.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
country flag duong

2 questions not especially for Lenders :

- I don't remember watching Blake-Davydenko (7-0 until this year) : I guess Blake disturbed Davydenko from the return and serve (which are very important shots for Blake) ?

- I noticed that Baghdatis has better results against grinders, I tried to wonder why, one reason is that they don't attack his second serve which is a bit weak, I guess, another reason is that Baghdatis likes building points for long, quite like Youzhny, but also he seems to especially like unleashing a ball only in the end of a long rally rather than earlier : why does he have this habit ? is it like a part of the pleasure for him ? does he need to be exhausted to unleash his best (Monfils is typically like that) ?

Last edited by duong : 10-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote