Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS ROG! - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #256
country flag DJ Soup

DJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond reputeDJ Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
style wise none of the best players of the most recent generations are like Federer, but talent wise Murray would not be #2
I guess you don't include Nalbandian as the recent generation, but he's the closest thing to Federer stylewise. With a trade-off between serve and backhand.
DJ Soup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #257
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
That's year-end.
It's still an accurate way of gauging things. Federer is almost at 300 weeks number one, which is almost six years at number one. He has five year end number ones. There is not that much difference between the two. At best Federer would have six years at number one, and at worst five. For the players above him in that table I posted, the same thing can apply.
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis

'Honestly' called my trolling low quality
Why weren't there any hard hitting Del Potro's or Cilic's from 2004-2008?
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #258
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
It's still an accurate way of gauging things. Federer is almost at 300 weeks number one, which is almost six years at number one. He has five year end number ones. There is not that much difference between the two. At best Federer would have six years at number one, and at worst five. For the players above him in that table I posted, the same thing can apply.
The simple fact that Sampras has 1 more YE#1 with less total weeks at no.1 than Federer shows how dumb that logic is, tbh.
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #259
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread
Sapeod never fails to deliver.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #260
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Monday 16/7/12 Roger Federer breaks the all time weeks at no. 1 record. CONGRATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
Tour is in total jeopardy if this is true.

Fortunately, it isn`t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Dani
You can laugh all you want but it's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
It's easier to be skilled and talented on the defence than it is on the offence. If you play tennis you can immediately recognise that.
That's the wide gap that separates Federer's talent from Murray's
I'm talking about overall talent. Murray is 2nd only to Federer currently. Federer is way beyond anybody that ever played tennis, so of course Murray's not up to par with him. However, he is the most talented player when you take Federer out of the discussion. Simple as that.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $33,359,256 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 480-148...
TITLES: 31 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #261
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
The simple fact that Sampras has 1 more YE#1 with less total weeks at no.1 than Federer shows how dumb that logic is, tbh.
All year end number one says is that you were the best player for that year. You might be number one for the first ten months of a year, but in the last month the second ranked player could overtake you and take the year end number one. Just because that second ranked player wasn't number one for the duration of the year doesn't take away from his accomplishment.
'82 - '91: best decade in tennis

'Honestly' called my trolling low quality
Why weren't there any hard hitting Del Potro's or Cilic's from 2004-2008?
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #262
country flag niff

niff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond reputeniff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
All year end number one says is that you were the best player for that year. You might be number one for the first ten months of a year, but in the last month the second ranked player could overtake you and take the year end number one. Just because that second ranked player wasn't number one for the duration of the year doesn't take away from his accomplishment.
That would only make sense as the main comparative statistic if the year end number 1 was basically the only ranking published each year. But it isn't, the YE#1 is an aside.
niff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #263
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Soup View Post
I guess you don't include Nalbandian as the recent generation, but he's the closest thing to Federer stylewise. With a trade-off between serve and backhand.
This is correct. Any other active player is as far from David here as himself is from Fed. Still I would give him second place without a doubt.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #264
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
I'm talking about overall talent. Murray is 2nd only to Federer currently. Federer is way beyond anybody that ever played tennis, so of course Murray's not up to par with him. However, he is the most talented player when you take Federer out of the discussion. Simple as that.
You can reapet that like a parrot and belive its true, but its just not.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #265
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
You can laugh all you want but it's true.

You cannot be serious. Murray is a very good player thriving in an era where the conditions suit his grinding brand of tennis. In no way is he a mercurial talent like Federer or even remotely close to being the second most talented player on tour

It is enough to say that the aspects he excels at (defense, fitness, return, movement), he's eclipsed by Nadal in all of them except return. Let's not even talk about aspects like his serve or FH, etc...
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #266
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post

You cannot be serious. Murray is a very good player thriving in an era where the conditions suit his grinding brand of tennis. In no way is he a mercurial talent like Federer or even remotely close to being the second most talented player on tour

It is enough to say that the aspects he excels at (defense, fitness, return, movement), he's eclipsed by Nadal in all of them except return. Let's not even talk about aspects like his serve or FH, etc...
His serve is better than Nadal's and his backhand makes Nadal's look pretty silly.

Regarding his talent, he has good touch, feel and slice. There are more talented players, but the conditions mean that Murray's talented facets are rendered pretty useless (besides the low slice on the defensive) and the fitness, return and defensive strength are what today's conditions require to succeed at the top unless the courts get sped up.

Players I'd describe as the most talented on tour include Federer, Nalbandian (as he still hasn't retired), Tsonga, these types.

The conditions of the slams and big tournaments these days mean that there's less of a correlation between talent and results than there ever was.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #267
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

G.o.a.t.
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #268
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

The record is tainted by the fact that most of Noserer's weeks at #1 were in a mug era of 2003-2007. With no competition, thrashing slam titans like Baldenko, Hewitt, Roddick and Clownbandian it was very easy for Noserer to dominate the top spot. His competition had no balls, talent, ruthlessness, ambition and the will to be the best. Tells a lot about his supposed dominance when a baby clay courter was his biggest rival in slams. But hey, he is still GOAT amongst his fangirl legion who think beating titans like Drugsquet and Haas in semis of a slam is a massive deal.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #269
country flag caisenma

caisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond reputecaisenma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
The record is tainted by the fact that most of Noserer's weeks at #1 were in a mug era of 2003-2007. With no competition, thrashing slam titans like Baldenko, Hewitt, Roddick and Clownbandian it was very easy for Noserer to dominate the top spot. His competition had no balls, talent, ruthlessness, ambition and the will to be the best. Tells a lot about his supposed dominance when a baby clay courter was his biggest rival in slams. But hey, he is still GOAT amongst his fangirl legion who think beating titans like Drugsquet and Haas in semis of a slam is a massive deal.
at the end of the day, nobody of any significance feels the same way as you. no one. absolutely no one that has any ounce of credibility in the world of tennis or professional sport as a whole, would back you up on this or your other relentless attacks on "noserer" or his "fangirl legions".

i understand that it's very important for you to feel recognised, but please note that it's possible to respect a player of federer's calibre whilst still acknowledging that you simply prefer nadal's game.

but good lord. i read these boards from time to time, and every thread i go to you're speaking the same thing. are you worried that you're not being noticed? well, you are! much like the child who was crying throughout the film i saw on friday, everyone took note.

you are far too good of a poster and knowledgeable of a tennis fan to resort to such amateur theatrics.
caisenma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #270
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caisenma View Post
at the end of the day, nobody of any significance feels the same way as you. no one. absolutely no one that has any ounce of credibility in the world of tennis or professional sport as a whole, would back you up on this or your other relentless attacks on "noserer" or his "fangirl legions".

i understand that it's very important for you to feel recognised, but please note that it's possible to respect a player of federer's calibre whilst still acknowledging that you simply prefer nadal's game.

but good lord. i read these boards from time to time, and every thread i go to you're speaking the same thing. are you worried that you're not being noticed? well, you are! much like the child who was crying throughout the film i saw on friday, everyone took note.

you are far too good of a poster and knowledgeable of a tennis fan to resort to such amateur theatrics.
Well, you have to admire his persistence, no?

I was disappointed when I found out he didn't actually coin the term "noserer".
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote