Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #196
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Best performer of 2012 in terms of points accumulated but Federer is the best player in the world according to the computer rankings which go back 365 days.

The race ranking is not the world ranking.
Federer is the best player of the year. Won the most important tournament, won the most tournaments, won a silver at the OG as opposed to no medal, and of course he is #1. If he wins the WTF he will be the best player of the year no matter the rankings.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #197
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Nojoke would trade all his masters titles this year for Olympic gold. The man really cares about winning for his country. No joke
All the two of them?
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #198
country flag johnny tsunami

johnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond reputejohnny tsunami has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i really would say this is a bad year for novak in terms of his form dropping so much. His entire game (forehand, backhand and serve) has dropped so much. if you just look at where he is hitting the ball and the amount of pace in 2011 vs 2012 it is horrible. He was playing perfect tennis in 2011 very neutral with offensive mindset and ridiculous defense when needed. This year he has been very defensive and conservative. He's grinding out there. pre 2011 he took a lot more risks and was more offensive, plus it was a little more fun to watch.
johnny tsunami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #199
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I agree with everything you said except that : how could not playing his best in most important matches be a norm ? esp. for a player who has great stats on breakpoints and also in tiebreaks.

That's why personally I think the former of your two versions : 2011 has probably been exceptional, esp. on clay as you said, but his overall level this year still has been much better than any previous year, his serve has even been better than in 2011 and nearer to 2008, and his stats on return are still much better than in previous years although not as good as in 2011.
IMO Djokovic was playing at his own limit at times last year. This year, he plays mostly within himself, and when he tries to push it to that limit, he has often made mistakes. To me that is normal in my experience (more so than the opposite, though it does sometimes happen). Not being able to bring ones very best in the biggest matches is also normal. It is rare to see somebody come out and play at their limit in an important match but Djokovic did it at times last year. This is not to say he has a history of playing poorly in important moments, as you said, he has a good record in areas which are seen as indicative of mental strength. I only mean it is rare for a player to show their best in an important match (these are often remembered as players 'best' because it is combined with importance). I certainly agree that Djokovic has had his second best year. That is hardly even up for debate at this stage.

Quote:
Besides, as far as his match-up with Nadal is concerned (which was very important for him in 2011 and may be very important next year as well), in their matches this year, I could clearly see the ingredients which made him beat him constantly in 2011 and he made unnormal errors in Roma and Monte-Carlo, and it was tight in Roland-Garros.
This is an interesting one. Djokovic knows how to beat Nadal on clay but it is still probably the toughest match on tour. Yes he has the ingredients. It remains to be seen how both are playing during clay '13 to predict whether or not he can put together the kind of form required to win against him again.

Quote:
I agree that his match-up with Murray isn't favourable but still, it's at worst 50-50 imo.
Yes. It's not that it's a terrible match up for Djokovic, he also neutralises Murray's aggressive shots to a pretty large extent as well. It's very awkward for both guys really. Neither has the attacking game to consistently dictate successfully throughout the duration of a match. The risk-reward judgement which makes it either worthwhile or not worthwhile to be aggressive really hangs in the balance in that match-up. It provides very interesting points but a lot of errors to finish rallies (which a lot of fans find unacceptable for a big match) because finishing off points is hard for both against the other. The reason Murray has a quite good record vs Djokovic (considering he has been the lesser player for almost all their matches) is because he has the better serve which is the one steadier weapon which can be relied upon to do damage.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #200
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not djokovic's fan but I think it's been a good year for him. As Roger said any year you win a slam is a good year.

Obviously it could've been better had he won the US Open but still 1 W and 2 F in slams is very good.
He's also the leader in the race and will probably be #1 by the end of the year.

A very good year for djokovic. Of course after the 2011 season 2012 would always look poor.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #201
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

What's interesting is that Djokovic will probably finish the year as #1 but his year was not exactly stellar. He's only won 3 titles so far. Shows the competition was meh this year and nobody had a really great year. Then again this is a transitional period where Federer and Nadal are in decline similar to the early noughties when Sampras and Agassi were declining. Djokovic and Murray are better versions of Hewitt and Roddick just like Federer and Nadal are better versions of Sampras and Agassi respectively.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #202
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

The season is not over yet and Novak has won a grand slam, two masters and made two grand slam finals. His performance in grand slams alone qualify this season as a great season for any player.

Coming after 2011, it's bound to look disappointing, but it's Nole's best season ever, after 2011.

Could it have been better? Of course it could.

But it's pretty good as it is.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #203
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

As an ardent Novak fan, I can say his season has been vulturetastic.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #204
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
As an ardent Novak fan, I can say his season has been vulturetastic.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #205
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
IMO Djokovic was playing at his own limit at times last year. This year, he plays mostly within himself, and when he tries to push it to that limit, he has often made mistakes. To me that is normal in my experience (more so than the opposite, though it does sometimes happen). Not being able to bring ones very best in the biggest matches is also normal.
well, my impression rather was that top-players usually bring their very best in these matches.
And I don't have the impression that in the years before 2011, Djokovic was the kind of player who couldn't usually bring his best in biggest matches.
This year he tended to make errors when he tried to be more aggressive, it's true, whereas being less aggressive was enough to beat less good players, and of course it was more visible in big matches.

Last edited by duong : 10-05-2012 at 06:59 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #206
country flag Edda

Edda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond reputeEdda has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan but, as with most players, a bit of burnout is inevitable with the punishing schedule of matches. It wasn't a bad year by most standards but, by his, probably yes.
Edda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #207
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Djoker still having nightmares after the USO. He was righfully the best player player of the year, even after sickness allowed Noserer to beat him at Wimby

Too bad tennis matches aren't decided by skill these days, but by who the particular tennis association favors with scheduling and weather conditions because yanks can't afford a roof over AA.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #208
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a good year, but I'll wait till it's over to make some final statements. If Nole finishes as #1, which is all I want atm, life is good. the only bad taste in my mouth is when he lost to Rafa at RG. Nole had a momentum and it was gone when it started raining. Also, he should've won that first set against Murray at the USO, but he was too casual and cost him the match at the end. well, kudos to Muzza, I'm the first one who is against should've, would've, could've but I just can't help it.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #209
country flag Chemokine

Chemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond reputeChemokine has a reputation beyond repute

I hate it when trolls come on to these threads. It was perfectly civil the first few pages and then deteriorated.

Last year was a dream. He was just so on top of his game. This year- his form dropped a bit, he was weaker somewhat mentally and appeared a little out of it at times and still came out with a pretty good year: 2 MS, multiple finals, 1 GS etc. He has a very good chance at year end No. 1 as well.

I think he made a mistake in explicitly targeting 2 events. While one should schedule carefully, I think he didn't focus as much as he should have.

The pressure will be off of him a bit now and I'm very excited for the new rivalries in tennis. When everyone plays well, it's a win-win for tennis.
Chemokine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #210
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemokine View Post
I hate it when trolls come on to these threads. It was perfectly civil the first few pages and then deteriorated.

Last year was a dream. He was just so on top of his game. This year- his form dropped a bit, he was weaker somewhat mentally and appeared a little out of it at times and still came out with a pretty good year: 2 MS, multiple finals, 1 GS etc. He has a very good chance at year end No. 1 as well.

I think he made a mistake in explicitly targeting 2 events. While one should schedule carefully, I think he didn't focus as much as he should have.

The pressure will be off of him a bit now and I'm very excited for the new rivalries in tennis. When everyone plays well, it's a win-win for tennis.
They aren't troll's, this is the main board, you can't expect it to be just for Nole fans when it's on the main board, go post it in Nole's forum if you want it to be just for his fans.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.

Last edited by J99 : 10-06-2012 at 04:59 AM.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote