Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #136
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
This is a typical symptom of Noleisus obsessivisum. An ailment where the patient is so obsessed with Nole that they lose all objectivity and unwillingly forget how the sport works.

Using the weather as an excuse is so poor indeed

doesn't the other play also have to deal with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #137
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Nole vultured at the USO as well. No Top 4 player was in his half = vulture
Nole vulutred Canada for sure. And At Miami he vultured off Monaco in SF.

Quote:
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #138
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Delpo played a good match in quarters, his only problem was that he couldn't hit his BH properly because of his wrist (hence 0 BH winners), his serve and forehand were great that day and would have been enough to beat most players. Novak's returning was great in that match, and so was his defense - especially late in the second set when Delpo threw the kitchen sink at him and he kept getting a racket on his blistering forehands and getting them back with great depth. It was one of the best defensive/transition from defense to offense in recent memory.

His semi against Ferrer was, well, routine after the first set. But he played well all tournament long, I think.
he played very well but not "great" all tournament long

Del Po's forehand was nowhere near his best in QF. And a Del Po who can't hit a backhand, lacks power on forehand and is tired, is not a real challenge for a top-4 player.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #139
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Nole vultured at the USO as well. No Top 4 player was in his half = vulture
Nole vulutred Canada for sure. And At Miami he vultured off Monaco in SF.
Don't forget final too. Got incredibly weak opponent.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #140
country flag TigerTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Don't forget final too. Got incredibly weak opponent.
no doubt. He somehow failed to defeat Mugray at the USO

a failed vulture that. Like Nole was picking at the carcass but didn't realise it wasn't dead, the carcass lumbering up to swash the vulture. What a fail

Has he even beat a top 4 since Miami? Clay doesn't count

Quote:

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #141
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post

No2e has 1180 "vulture" points considering he despicably played Toronto. Dubai points should also be dropped when comparing the 2 bc both played there.

Your move.
Toronto is mandatory event, and he doesnt have a right to skip it unless injured or old like Olderer, and he was defending title.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #142
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

a failed vulture that. Like Nole was picking at the carcass but didn't realise it wasn't dead, the carcass lumbering up to swash the vulture. What a fail

Has he even beat a top 4 since Australia?
USO 2012: Andy Mugray + wind + USTA def. No2e

Don't worry, Mandy won't have wind on his side in AO.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #143
country flag TigerTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
USO 2012: Andy Mugray + wind + USTA def. No2e

Don't worry, Mandy won't have wind on his side in AO.
no, Ivan Lendl will do the business with a gold club. No2e will become Nol3

Quote:

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #144
country flag MinioNole

MinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond reputeMinioNole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #145
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Murray was coming from a walkover in the SF of Miami so he was rusty for the final. This is the excuse Novak fans use to justify his loss to Federer last year at RG SF. TBH this year has been meh for Djokovic compared with 2011. Barely won AO SF and final. Played rusty Murray in Miami final and had a 500 draw in Toronto.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #146
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

His level of play was not as high as last year overall but the discrepancy is overplayed by many posters here. Djokovic hasn't been able to play his best tennis in the biggest matches this year though, that is a problem. In the Australian Open he was undeniably clutch but he was required to be (in the final) because he let slip a match which was very much in his hands. That match needed a very strong physical effort but also an uncharacteristic drop from Nadal for Novak to pull it out. Add to that the struggle with Murray in the semi's (which I, unlike many, think was an excellent match), and the sum total is a great mental and physical effort but also a very contingent result.

The season between AO and RG was okay. He won Miami and only lost at IW to an incredible performance by Isner (best three set match this year for me), people are kidding themselves if they think that defeat signalled anything about Djokovic losing form (he played well). The clay season was certainly not as good as last year but he still beat all comers bar Nadal. He can be happy with those performances, especially beating Federer in straights to avenge the semi final defeat. IMO the clay season of 2011 (specifically both 1000 matches vs Nadal) was as good as I've ever seen Djokovic play; that cannot be expected as a normal level for him. So, this period of time is okay.

Djokovic can be happy with his level on grass up to the Federer defeat but disappointed with that match. He really let Federer take the fourth away without doing anything special, only the third set was high quality from both. I think this could be the most negative part of the season for Djokovic, not because he lost, but because there was a tangible dip in performance between the lead up to the big match and the big one itself. He can be legitimately irritated to not carry form when it mattered.

Good results since then despite the defeats to Federer in Cincinnati and Murray at the USO. Djokovic isn't comfortable against Murray (they have a peculiar match-up) and it's not surprising he lost that match. It isn't possible for Djokovic to play in the rhythm he enjoys against the Scot and it'll never be possible to tell how he'll perform against Murray by watching his past performances. Murray is the best player on tour for neutralising Djokovic's attacking weapons IMO. The fact of the conditions may have affected the match but it's no excuse, Djokovic suffered in big moments and what can be said other than 'it was coming'. Djokovic won a lot of big points in the last two years, it never lasts for ever.

Overall, I think Djokovic has had a good season. His consistency has been exceptional and he has been very good in some matches. The main problem is he hasn't shown the very best of his form in the most important matches. Whether you think of that as a deviation from his 2011 level or a return to 'the norm' is really a subjective thing. Personally I think rather the latter and as such this year is fine for Djokovic. He was closer to winning zero slams than he was to winning more than the one he did.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #147
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
The main problem is he hasn't shown the very best of his form in the most important matches. Whether you think of that as a deviation from his 2011 level or a return to 'the norm' is really a subjective thing. Personally I think rather the latter and as such this year is fine for Djokovic.
I agree with everything you said except that : how could not playing his best in most important matches be a norm ? esp. for a player who has great stats on breakpoints and also in tiebreaks.

That's why personally I think the former of your two versions : 2011 has probably been exceptional, esp. on clay as you said, but his overall level this year still has been much better than any previous year, his serve has even been better than in 2011 and nearer to 2008, and his stats on return are still much better than in previous years although not as good as in 2011.

Besides, as far as his match-up with Nadal is concerned (which was very important for him in 2011 and may be very important next year as well), in their matches this year, I could clearly see the ingredients which made him beat him constantly in 2011 and he made unnormal errors in Roma and Monte-Carlo, and it was tight in Roland-Garros.

I agree that his match-up with Murray isn't favourable but still, it's at worst 50-50 imo.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #148
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

disgusting vulture this federer

djokovic showing self restraint and not whoring himself for cheap points

nadal is too busy playing golf and poker, and murray is in hibernation on raw potatoes and vodka after lendl repeatedly destroyed him at golf

year end ranking is djokovic's, and rightly so. SF or better in every tournament but one (madrid )

of course, he's still a choking, talentless mug who should retire for his fans and the good of the game
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #149
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no, Ivan Lendl will do the business with a gold club. No2e will become Nol3
lendl is lethal with that golf club

he's already sabotaged monfils and chardy in toyko

karlovic was offered broken foot faults, or broken feet
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #150
country flag TigerTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
lendl is lethal with that golf club

he's already sabotaged monfils and chardy in toyko

karlovic was offered broken foot faults, or broken feet

Don't forget Raonic falling to is death stare in Miami along with Nadal

Quote: