Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #91
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

Really? How is this year more disappointing than, say, 2009 where he got kicked out of RG by Kohli and was outclassed on grass by Haasi? Didn't come close to a slam, and never made a slam final.
He was simply playing bad that year, and was nowhere near making some great result.
All his losses this year were caused by nothing else but his mental state, except maybe for Isner match. Take RG final for example. You can't take 8 straight games off Nadal on clay and then claim that you weren't good enough. Also US open final, comes back fro 0-2 and then goes awol in the 5th.
All in the head.
When I said disappointing, I meant it's so sad to watch him loose matches that he would have won easily with just half of last year's mental fortitude. You are supposed to become even tougher when you overcome such obstacles that he overcame, not the other way around.
This will all become evident next time he steamrolls Fed or Murray, as soon as one of them fails to stick with him from the get-go.
He will then proceed to loose another few tight matches and after that, he will either get his act together or start loosing comfortably to any in-form player that comes his way
retister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #92
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

^^That's over-simplification. At RG he was greatly helped by muggy weather late in the match, as soon as it was sunny and dry he wasn't anywhere near winning the set. At USO he looked struggling more physically than mentally. Besides, mentality is important, but it's not a silver bullet by any means
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #93
country flag Depeche

Depeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond reputeDepeche has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
^^That's over-simplification. At RG he was greatly helped by muggy weather late in the match, as soon as it was sunny and dry he wasn't anywhere near winning the set. At USO he looked struggling more physically than mentally. Besides, mentality is important, but it's not a silver bullet by any means
Yeah. I'm sure it always comes down to a combination of both physical and mental, but he looked physically drained during the 5th set of the USO final. Remember how he lost his serve entirely?
Depeche is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #94
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

mug year obviously

clearly needs to retire for his fans
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #95
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

His only regrets should be losing the USO final to Murray - he was clearly the better player in non-windy conditions, might feel a bit hard done there - and losing an Olympic medal to Delpo - it was a very winnable match for him there. Apart from that, every result has either met or exceeded expectations - at least SF in every tournament bar Madrid, 1 Slam title, 2 finals, 1 semi... a great year by any standards. He only lost Wimbledon and RG to record holders at the respective Slams, hardly bad defeats.

Novak Djokovic is the best tennis player in the world today, that should be enough to prove it was a great year.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #96
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that losing USO must feel very disappointing for him - after all losing to clay goat in Paris is not a shame at all and from what I heard he was sick in Wimby, that's why he lost to meekly to Noserer. Losing in Olympics is no big deal as it wasn't a gold medal match and he already had a bronze.

USO, though, I felt that he had Mandy on the ropes after winning 3rd and 4th sets convincingly, then he proceeded to fall apart to the biggest slam choker on the tour I just can't explain it. If only he won the first set - Mandy would have collapsed in 3 just like at AO 2011.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #97
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
His only regrets should be losing the USO final to Murray - he was clearly the better player in non-windy conditions, might feel a bit hard done there - and losing an Olympic medal to Delpo - it was a very winnable match for him there. Apart from that, every result has either met or exceeded expectations - at least SF in every tournament bar Madrid, 1 Slam title, 2 finals, 1 semi... a great year by any standards. He only lost Wimbledon and RG to record holders at the respective Slams, hardly bad defeats.

Novak Djokovic is the best tennis player in the world today, that should be enough to prove it was a great year.
Heh, the rankings say otherwise.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #98

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I would agree that losing USO must feel very disappointing for him - after all losing to clay goat in Paris is not a shame at all and from what I heard he was sick in Wimby, that's why he lost to meekly to Noserer. Losing in Olympics is no big deal as it wasn't a gold medal match and he already had a bronze.

USO, though, I felt that he had Mandy on the ropes after winning 3rd and 4th sets convincingly, then he proceeded to fall apart to the biggest slam choker on the tour I just can't explain it. If only he won the first set - Mandy would have collapsed in 3 just like at AO 2011.
It's not a big deal in terms of tennis curriculum/achievements, but it was a big deal for Novak. He was crying after the match; more than most, Novak is extremely patriotic and wanted to win a medal for Serbia. Losing the bronze medal match in Olympics is far worse than losing the final, as you take nothing. He could have done much better both in semis vs Murray and then vs Delpo; while losing to Murray on grass can be classed as normal, Delpo on grass was a very winnable match especially with JMDP coming from a grueling 4 hour+ marathon with Federer.

USO, he was extremely unlucky; he was the best player all tournament long and thoroughly outclassed Murray in the final when the wind died down. The wind made the first two sets a lottery and Murray eeked out both, and he ran out of gas in the fift. If there's one thing about this season that Nole can really great is not having taken the US Open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99 View Post
Look at the race rankings, Nole is having the best year out of anyone and is almost a lock to finish #1. Besides, rankings are hardly a good indication anyway; it's a similar ranking system to the one the WTA employs which has created so many aberrations, and the very same system that has produced atrocities like Ferrer in the top 5 or Mugaco in the top 10.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #99
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Not just the rankings. Nole has lost all his recent matches convincingly against the other 3 in the big 4. He's not the best player currently, not by a long shot. Proved he's too good for Berlocq though to his credit.

Beautiful girls are like complex puzzles. The closer you look the harder it gets.

-Drunk guy at Mcdonalds
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #100
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Muzza was amazingly clutch in the fifth when you wouldn't expect him to. A good break in the first game, and then at *3-2, a game had he lost he would have lost the match no question, he slammed down the best service game of the tournament and slammed the padlock shut. He showed some big ass balls. Novak was spent after that and all he could do was ballbash as his energy had finally ran out.

It was a mature end to a bizarre match.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #101
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This year, he's the best and the rankings say the same.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
Not just the rankings. Nole has lost all his recent matches convincingly against the other 3 in the big 4. He's not the best player currently, not by a long shot. Proved he's too good for Berlocq though to his credit.
So what? While Nadal was playing golf, Murray too busy clubbing in Montreal and losing to Chardy in Cincy and Federer getting blown off the court by Berdych, Novak was getting to at least semis in every tournament he played and final in every tournament of the American hardcourt season. He's clearly the best player in the world today, and will deservedly end the year as #1.

Tennis is not played against 3 players, but against the field. Not to mention all those defeats against the other top 4 players were very tight matches.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #103
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
This year, he's the best and the rankings say the same.
Yes, but those are the race rankings, not the actual ones.

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #104
country flag J99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
It's not a big deal in terms of tennis curriculum/achievements, but it was a big deal for Novak. He was crying after the match; more than most, Novak is extremely patriotic and wanted to win a medal for Serbia. Losing the bronze medal match in Olympics is far worse than losing the final, as you take nothing. He could have done much better both in semis vs Murray and then vs Delpo; while losing to Murray on grass can be classed as normal, Delpo on grass was a very winnable match especially with JMDP coming from a grueling 4 hour+ marathon with Federer.

USO, he was extremely unlucky; he was the best player all tournament long and thoroughly outclassed Murray in the final when the wind died down. The wind made the first two sets a lottery and Murray eeked out both, and he ran out of gas in the fift. If there's one thing about this season that Nole can really great is not having taken the US Open.

Look at the race rankings, Nole is having the best year out of anyone and is almost a lock to finish #1. Besides, rankings are hardly a good indication anyway; it's a similar ranking system to the one the WTA employs which has created so many aberrations, and the very same system that has produced atrocities like Ferrer in the top 5 or Mugaco in the top 10.
Nice try there, yes Nole is the best in the race, as in the yearly rankings, but not in the actual ones, besides, you just contradicted yourself by saying that the main rankings don't count and the race ones do which are on the same system.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #105

Quote:
Nice try there, yes Nole is the best in the race, as in the yearly rankings, but not in the actual ones, besides, you just contradicted yourself by saying that the main rankings don't count and the race ones do which are on the same system.
None of them is a solid indication of anything. This is why Novak is the best player in the world.

1 Slam title
2 finals
1 semi

2 Masters titles
3 Masters finals
1 Master semi

Olympics: 4th place

No one can boast similar credentials. The only tournament where he didn't reachs semis was Madrid (QF, lost to Tipsy). In fact, the only reason he doesn't have #1 mathematically secure by now is because the ranking system encourages vulturing and Nole is the anti-vulture, has only been to one non mandatory 500/250 event all year in Dubai (and now Beijing). He'd easily have secured #1 by now if he entered more non mandatory tournaments to collect easy points.