Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #46
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

I think we need a seperate thread for an honest assessment from his haters
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #47
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Even if we forget about his amazing 2011 season, this season has been an incredible year for Novak. It only looks "average" because of his previous amazing season, Rafa's before that and Roger's a few years earlier. But if you place his season in the early 1990s to 2000s people would be saying he's the GOAT.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #48
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
Nadal is huge favorite for RG ofc, and if he plays at his best no one will be even close, but behind him is Nole and that makes him a fav too, maybe next year Nadal crushes early too at RG? Its possibile, not likely but it is...
The only way Rafa loses a 5 set match on clay right now is if he's injured or the clay is like it was in 2011, which was not normal, clearly. Novak is the second best clay court player, and injuries are apart of tennis, and especially clay tennis b/c of the how close the tournaments are together. Looking at what Federer did in 2009, and Novak is better than that on clay. If Rafa was out of the way, he could go through without a doubt. He will get Roland Garros, eventually, he is too good of clay player, not to take it.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #49
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

one slam, one final, 2 sfs

couple of masters, year end no 1 ranking more or less, possible year end championship

it's an excellent year, no doubt

very similar to one of sampras' in the 90s
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #50
country flag sco

sco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond repute

We, as fans, expect too much out of these guys. After a GS win, it seems like the winner is unbeatable which is not the case. Novak is fine - he'll challenge at every GS for a while. I suspect that Murray (now that he's gotten over his mental block) will too. Great summer for Murray - a W final, Olympic and USO wins.
sco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #51
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

good season obviously but a farcry from his abominally good 2011. I'm not a fan of his BUT his fans should honestly be happy. if he was slamless it would be a different story

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #52
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I am a fan and of course I would have liked Novak to have another year as good as 2011. But Novak's 2011 was one of the best seasons in the open era, so it would have been unrealistic to expect him to repeat it. But yes... I was unrealistic and I was expecting him to repeat it.

This year has not been bad at all: he hasn't lost to any player outside the top 10, he made the RG final for the first time, he won one grand slam and made the finals of 2 others and he's the leader of the race, with a good shot at ending the year as #1 for a second consecutive year.

There were some missed opportunities, and perhaps the most disappointing event was the Olympics, which was very important for him, but grass is not his best surface. Bad luck.

Taken in isolation (without comparing it to 2011), this year has been very good for Novak. As you say, the other three really fought back, as they were bound to do, and still Novak's won more points than anybody else in Grand Slams (5120 points) and also in Masters Events (4340 points).

If Novak manages to end the year as #1, 2012 will be an incredibly successful season, but even if he doesn't, ending the year as #2 cannot be considered as a bad season at all.

Having said that, I've been a Nole fan since 2005. I was happy with him being a one-slam wonder and the eternal #3. Everything else has been a bonus. I'm in heaven.

Sorry there is no getting around it has been a bad year for him, and it's mostly been mental lapse. No question he has the talent but just failed at critical moments this year.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #53

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

^
Not really. In his eight years on tour this year has been his second most successful. If you call this a bad year then he's only really had one good year on tour. When you look at all the other players who have had one slam seasons – this one compares favourably well against all of them.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #54
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely disappointed. I don't mind RG final loss because everything was against him in that match, but the US Open final was a joke.

All I have to say is that if Nole played like he did in 2011 he would have won all 4 slams this year. The quality of the field this year was piss poor compared to 2011. Even Nadal was absent for the majority.
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #55
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
^
Not really. In his eight years on tour this year has been his second most successful. If you call this a bad year then he's only really had one good year on tour. When you look at all the other players who have had one slam seasons – this one compares favourably well against all of them.
I'm pretty sure that's not hows view it himself. He's not comparing himself to folks who managed to have one good year. He sets Natal and Fed as his standard against which he will be measured, not to one season wonders of the past.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #56
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewietennis View Post
^
In 2008 he had a slam, olympic bronze, and a YEC. So it depends if you value slam finals over those things.
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
In 2008 he had a slam, olympic bronze, and a YEC. So it depends if you value slam finals over those things.
It's rather subjective which combination is more important – two major finals vs WTF and bronze. However, looking at the tier below that:
In 2008 - he won two Masters and had one other finals appearance
This year he won two Masters and had three other finals appearances; he's also within striking distance of the #1 ranking
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #58
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Still his second best year in terms of slam performance, so his fans certainly can be proud of Novak for that, and he can certainly still make an even better year with the last couple tournaments, perhaps a WTF win and year end #1.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #59
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted it to be for his fans only, then you should not have posted this on the main board.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #60
country flag r3d_d3v1l_

r3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond reputer3d_d3v1l_ has a reputation beyond repute

Novak screwed his RG chances by playing Monte Carlo.
r3d_d3v1l_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote