Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest assessment of Novak's year by his fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
It's all relative. After Nadal won RG, who would've thought his year is done? As for the 2011 level, he doesn't really need to win 40+ in a row to prove anything to anyone. Next year he'll most like target RG again more than anything else.
Didn't he do that this year? Maybe it's not all in his control?

The fact is that some Djokovic fans (notably many of whom have disappeared) made it seem like the only way Novak could be beaten was if he didn't want to play or wasn't interested. That is plainly not true this year, even if in 2011 a lot of his later losses had elements of fatigue being an issue. Nadal and Federer fans probably went through the same thing - thinking their favourite was unbeatable and would win forever. The reality is that the run ends sometime and success like 2011 is pretty much impossible to repeat. No one's saying he has to prove anything to anyone but clearly a lot of his fans expected a lot more of this year than one Aus Open title - a recalibration of expectations is good.

Nadal and Fed fans are in a different positions - their favourites have won what they want to win pretty much and now anything more seems like the cherry on top. Novak still has goals - mainly RG and an Olympic gold. Think the chances of getting that gold nosedived after this year - RG still looks good but will depend on Nadal - I don't think that Novak controls that match on clay if Nadal is anyone near the level he was this year. Novak can still beat him but it'll be a close, tight affair with it not in Novak's hands to lose as it were...
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Didn't he do that this year? Maybe it's not all in his control?
Didn't he go further this year than any other year? He didn't win USO on first attempt either, luckily didn't have to wait very long
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Didn't he go further this year than any other year? He didn't win USO on first attempt either, luckily didn't have to wait very long
Waited 3 years from his first final at the US Open. 3 years from first RG final would work for me too - let Nadal get a couple more. Sure he'll get it before his career's over and hope he does too - deserves it based just on his clay level.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

He won one Slam, reached two other finals and a semi, two Masters titles... and he is the best tennis player on the planet today. Only very delusional tards could be disappointed/consider it a negative season. It's a tremendous success; sure, it's not like 2011, but no one reasonable could expect that.

He might still have some regrets despite a great season, namely losing the USO final to Murray, he was the far better player when the wind died down so he might feel hard done by. Also, losing the Olympic medal to Delpo, who's a grasscourt mug of sorts. But overall, it was a great season, as it is any time a player wins a Slam (and Novak did far more than just that).
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Waited 3 years from his first final at the US Open. 3 years from first RG final would work for me too - let Nadal get a couple more. Sure he'll get it before his career's over and hope he does too - deserves it based just on his clay level.
So you think Nadal is going to keep winning RGs until his retirement? And you say Nole's fans are too optimistic?
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Also, having "come down to earth", as some put it, might release some pressure for next year. Andy will be the one battling with high expectations and Nole will be under the radar again. He may win RG next year, who knows?

But this season is not over, he may end the year as #1. That would be a pretty good follow-up to a fabulous season in 2011.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

What a terrible year

Australian Open, Miami Masters, Canada Masters, Final of the French and US Opens, Finals of Cincinnati, Rome and Monte Carlo Masters.

What a terrible year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #23
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
What a terrible year

Australian Open, Miami Masters, Canada Masters, Final of the French and US Opens, Finals of Cincinnati, Rome and Monte Carlo Masters.

What a terrible year.
Yes but compare it to Nadal last year - RG champ, Monte Carlo Masters, Finals of Wimbledon, US Open, IW, Miami, Rome, Madrid - quite similar - Novak won 1 more Masters. Nadal's year was seen to be a real disappointment even though he made 7 finals in a row at one point...

As I said I think as Novak lost to all of the rest of the big 4 in big matches - in fact at each slam that they won they went through Novak - his year doesn't feel as gutting as Nadal's did where he beat everyone else, including Federer and Murray, but just kept losing to Djokovic. As I said, to me it's a great year. But I wondered what the true expectations of many fans were and if Novak not achieving either of his two big goals - gold medal and RG - was still a dampener.

I'm not sure him getting to RG this year should be touted that much given his struggles with clay giants like Seppi and Tsonga. Was an odd RG in that regard - Novak just didn't hit top gear all of clay season. Expect him to be better next year - no way should he struggle against Tsonga on that surface.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes but compare it to Nadal last year - RG champ, Monte Carlo Masters, Finals of Wimbledon, US Open, IW, Miami, Rome, Madrid - quite similar - Novak won 1 more Masters. Nadal's year was seen to be a real disappointment even though he made 7 finals in a row at one point...

As I said I think as Novak lost to all of the rest of the big 4 in big matches - in fact at each slam that they won they went through Novak - his year doesn't feel as gutting as Nadal's did where he beat everyone else, including Federer and Murray, but just kept losing to Djokovic. As I said, to me it's a great year. But I wondered what the true expectations of many fans were and if Novak not achieving either of his two big goals - gold medal and RG - was still a dampener.

I'm not sure him getting to RG this year should be touted that much given his struggles with clay giants like Seppi and Tsonga. Was an odd RG in that regard - Novak just didn't hit top gear all of clay season. Expect him to be better next year - no way should he struggle against Tsonga on that surface.
I agree with Seppi and Tsonga, Novak dropped the ball there. He lost his focus...But he came back and won both of those matches...

But do you remember his matches against Federer in Rome and Roland Garros? Great stuff. Especially the Roland Garros one. It was a great win, both mentally and tennis-wise.

Obviously we Nole fans expected more of Nole this year... impossible not to...but it was unrealistic. How can anybody be unhappy when our man has, so far, performed better than everybody else this year as well?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
country flag Ash86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
I agree with Seppi and Tsonga, Novak dropped the ball there. He lost his focus...But he came back and won both of those matches...

But do you remember his matches against Federer in Rome and Roland Garros? Great stuff. Especially the Roland Garros one. It was a great win, both mentally and tennis-wise.

Obviously we Nole fans expected more of Nole this year... impossible not to...but it was unrealistic. How can anybody be unhappy when our man has, so far, performed better than everybody else this year as well?
Federer was terrible in both those matches though so hard to judge Novak's level. He was nothing like a good Federer on clay and Federer himself struggled with Mahut and Goffin. As I said, think Nole had a great year and it's a good follow up to 2011. Just had to be a bit less than what some fans may have expected given the trajectory up to Aus 2012.

As for clay I don't think his level in 2012 was even as good as his 2009 clay level to be honest. He had flashes of brilliance - was pretty good in a lot of the Rome final and from midway through RG final. But it wasn't a constant level - a lot more UFEs than last year. Think next year will be easier without the non-calendar slam pressure.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #26
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
Also, having "come down to earth", as some put it, might release some pressure for next year. Andy will be the one battling with high expectations and Nole will be under the radar again. He may win RG next year, who knows?

But this season is not over, he may end the year as #1. That would be a pretty good follow-up to a fabulous season in 2011.
A very good year for Nole, but it should have been better. The thing that most annoyed me about his game was that it took him too long to play his near best in the finals of the French and USO finals. The same is true of the Wimby semi. Had the rain not stopped play, I think he would have won the FO final as Nadal seemed to be tired and depressed before the match was stopped. Novak needs better preperation before finals and other matches against Roger, Nadal and Murray. Also, Novak seemed emotionally inconsistant throughout the year, especially in the more important matches. Perhaps he put too much pressure on himself to perform as well as he did last year.
thrust is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #27
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
A very good year for Nole, but it should have been better. The thing that most annoyed me about his game was that it took him too long to play his near best in the finals of the French and USO finals. The same is true of the Wimby semi. Had the rain not stopped play, I think he would have won the FO final as Nadal seemed to be tired and depressed before the match was stopped. Novak needs better preperation before finals and other matches against Roger, Nadal and Murray. Also, Novak seemed emotionally inconsistant throughout the year, especially in the more important matches. Perhaps he put too much pressure on himself to perform as well as he did last year.
Agreed he has been such a slow starter in those 2 slam finals. Especially against Nadal, he had monumental chance to get him there...and about USO to be honest wind was killing him, but still he should have closed that first set. Im sure he would cruise to title after.

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #28
country flag Yolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
You read my thoughts... I think the pressure got to him... But he's a fast learner: this year he didn't let himself get burnt-out like last year and looks quite fresh and ready to go...Maybe next year he'll handle the pressure a little better and will be more stable emotionally... It's easy to forget how tough the competition is, not only from Roger, Rafa and Andy. Lots of other players have big games and want to claim some big scalps. It's not easy to stay at the top...and Nole seems to be managing quite well...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Even as someone who isn't a fan of his, I can adknowledge he's had a good year, his best year besides 2011. Any of his fans unhappy with it should remember how disappointed they were with his 2009 and 2010 seasons. He's now a clear fave in one slam, a genuine contender in another and one of the challengers in the other two. He's fine.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #30
country flag Yolita

Quote:
Federer was terrible in both those matches though so hard to judge Novak's level. He was nothing like a good Federer on clay and Federer himself struggled with Mahut and Goffin. As I said, think Nole had a great year and it's a good follow up to 2011. Just had to be a bit less than what some fans may have expected given the trajectory up to Aus 2012.

As for clay I don't think his level in 2012 was even as good as his 2009 clay level to be honest. He had flashes of brilliance - was pretty good in a lot of the Rome final and from midway through RG final. But it wasn't a constant level - a lot more UFEs than last year. Think next year will be easier without the non-calendar slam pressure.
Yes...You're right, next year has to be easier.

I hope we get to see him playing his best tennis and being clutch as he can be.