Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles. - Page 106 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #1576
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

I still think 100 is too far .I will wait for him to do it before I believe it

I hope he adds 3 more titles this year to get to 79
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #1577
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

There won't be many titles available for Roger to win because murray is now invincible. This means Roger only has a chance in tournaments where murray doesn't play which are few.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #1578
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

Open Era records

Most singles titles won after turning age 30: Rod Laver - 40 titles (including 1969 Grand Slam). Last title at age 36 in Orlando 1975.

Oldest player to win a singles title: Richard Alonso "Pancho" Gonzales - (43 years 273 days Des Moines - 1972)

Oldest No.1 player: Andre Agassi (33 years, 4 months in 2003)

Oldest player to end a year in the Top 10: Richard Alonso "Pancho" Gonzales (41+ years in 1969)

Oldest players to win Australian Open:
1. Ken Rosewall - 1972 (37y 2m 1d)
2. Ken Rosewall - 1971 (36y 2m 12d)
3. Andre Agassi - 2003 (32y 8m 28d)

Oldest players to win Roland Garros:
1. Andres Gimeno - 1972 (34y 10m 1d)
2. Ken Rosewall - 1968 (33y 7m 7d)
3. Rod Laver - 1969 (30y 9m 30d)

Oldest players to win Wimbledon:
1. Arthur Ashe - 1975 (31y 11m 25d)
2. Roger Federer - 2012 (30y 11m 0d)*
3. Rod Laver - 1969 (30y 10m 26d)

Oldest players to win US Open:
1. Ken Rosewall - 1970 (35y 10m 11d)
2. Rod Laver - 1969 (31y 1m 0d)
3. Pete Sampras - 2002 (31y 0m 27d)

Most singles titles:
1. Jimmy Connors - 109
2. Ivan Lendl - 94
3. John McEnroe - 77
4. Roger Federer - 76*

* Still active

In the video elsewhere in this thread where Roger Federer mentions thoughts of winning 100 titles, he has also stated that he likes longevity and accomplishments associated with it, pointing to Jimmy Connors 20 years in the game as an example. His achievement this year of winning Wimbledon and returning to #1 in the world at age 30-31 with his younger competition in their prime is remarkable. We have discussed elsewhere in this thread that Federer has many of the qualities that support longevity in tennis.

If he keeps somewhere near his current level of play (top 4), then he definitely can put himself in a position to win more majors as well as more titles. That's all that can reasonably be expected. Whether he can or will win more majors will be dependent on how well and for how long he can keep somewhere near this level, how well his main competition continues to perform, and some amount of luck. Given his current level and competition, it would surprise me more if he never wins another major than if he were to win 1-3 more, but who knows?

Starting Jan 1, 2013, he is free to play in whichever tournaments he wishes as he will have fulfilled all 3 requirements to be exempt from the ATP tour Masters 1000 commitment. He can skip tourneys that don't favor him and opt to play in others that do, even if they may be "lesser" tournaments. He has a family and health considerations, but the family seems to enjoy the traveling and tennis as much as he does. He might not play 15 more years , but as long as he stays relatively healthy and his family needs are no obstacle, another 5-10 years on the tour wouldn't shock me.

In the end, we can speculate one way or another, try to estimate how many titles/year he can win, etc., but who knows what will happen? In 2012, I think most people have been surprised that he has won 6 titles including 3 masters 1000s and Wimbledon so far, with the indoor season still to go. At the end of 2012, let's see where he is and how we did with our predictions very early in this thread.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #1579
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

that video was of Federer after Wimbledon in swiss on a waterside setting IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #1580
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the stats, Masterclass.

By the way, Connors holds the record for most weeks in top-5 in a row since the creation of the ATP rankings : 659 weeks, that is 12 years and 7 months from the 24th of september 1973 to the 12th of may 1986, that is he went out of the top-5 only at 33 years and 8 months old ( http://www.tennis28.com/rankings/con..._top5etal.html )

Fed will reach 10 years in a row on the 17th of february 2013.

33 years and 8 months years old for Fed would be in april 2015.

659 weeks would be reached on the 5th of october 2015.

I think every Fedfan would be extremely happy if Fed stayed in the top-5 for that long, which would mean he would still be in the top-competition

If Connors did it, one can hope Fed can do it as well, although it's a huge goal.

More reasonably, Lendl's 588 weeks consecutive would be reached on the 26th of may 2014.

I have to say that's the best I wish for him, more than any other goal like winning slams or else that number of titles record which means hardly anything for me.

Last edited by duong : 09-25-2012 at 05:06 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #1581
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Connors

he also has 18 years in top 10?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #1582
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Another important achievement that is not so far (according wikipedia, I dont know if its correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_World_Tour_records), is the number of weeks in top 2: Lendl has 409, and Federer 389.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #1583
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Connors was the Vulture King
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #1584
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Connors

he also has 18 years in top 10?!
Connors has 16 years in top 10, not 18. 1973-88. Still pretty amazing.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #1585
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Yes, he could feasibly do both. Don't know if he will, but he can for sure. Federer can be a top 10 player when he's 40 easily bar any unforeseen injuries, he will remain a title-winning thread for as long as he wants/is motivated.
Hmm...dubious.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #1586
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

old legs isn't playing until he's 40. 35 max if he's going for rio olympics

do you really think he'll keep playing when he starts losing in the early rounds of slams?

because it will happen someday. can't see him putting up with that for more than year, 2 years max

i reckon he'll retire at 33
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #1587
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

20 slams is possible, but not likely. He missed a huge chance at this USO. If Mugray can won the USO, that meant that Roger played like Mugerer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #1588
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Olderer has barely started his dominance IMO. He's been tapping into forgotten arts of ancient sorcery to slow down his aging process by drinking his own tears, which he collects after every loss in GS. The only disadvantage in that is that his nose grows 1cm larger every year. He will easily hold #1 rank until 40 and stay in top 10 until 60, winning at least as many slams as he's won up to this point as well as 3 Olympic gold medals in RIO and over 200 titles.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #1589
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Olderer has barely started his dominance IMO. He's been tapping into forgotten arts of ancient sorcery to slow down his aging process by drinking his own tears, which he collects after every loss in GS. The only disadvantage in that is that his nose grows 1cm larger every year. He will easily hold #1 rank until 40 and stay in top 10 until 60, winning at least as many slams as he's won up to this point as well as 3 Olympic gold medals in RIO (singles/doubles/mixed).
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #1590
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Hmm...dubious.
Not at all. Look at the rankings breakdown of low top 10 players. Even at 40 Federer will be able to do that easily. I'd go as far as saying that Federer's year of WTF qualification depend solely on his health and motivation, he's far too good to stop being a top player before he calls it a day.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote