"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 48 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #706
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
It is? Am I the only one who would like some variety? If the top 4 was gone and changed fairly often I'm sure more people would like Men's Tennis. I heard TF is getting more traffic than MTF and I'm fairly sure that the reason is that they have new top players every 1/2-3/4 a year.
TF doesn't count.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #707
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is? Am I the only one who would like some variety? If the top 4 was gone and changed fairly often I'm sure more people would like Men's Tennis. I heard TF is getting more traffic than MTF and I'm fairly sure that the reason is that they have new top players every 1/2-3/4 a year.
I said the ATP's best interest, not the best interest of tennis fans.

This so-called 'Big 4' has become a huge cash cow for the ATP, surfaces will only be further slowed down to ensure their chances of getting beaten by other players go down.

Most die hard tennis fans would definitely prefer diversified conditions and surface speeds across the season, but unfortunately that's not what would bring in the $$$
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #708

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
The way it is now, every condition has been virtually controlled apart from the sun and the wind at outdoor events. They are trying to do this well but since they make so much money financially with the marketing that this is so great, when the surfaces are virtually the same. It's 101 Marketing and Spin "accentuate the positives and hide the negatives". Since they can virtually guarantee the top 4 at these events make better sense.

Nadal playing on one of those ice rinks would be funny, but if he was good enough then he'd win there as well.
I fully agree with this. Which is part of the reason I can't take the 'Big 4' hype seriously at all. If these players are really the cream of the crop and so far ahead of everyone else in terms of talent and ability, they should be able to show it in every kind of conditions instead of boycotting/whining/losing early as soon as there's even the slighest change in conditions/speed (ie Madrid this year).
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #709
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post

This so-called 'Big 4' has become a huge cash cow for the ATP, surfaces will only be further slowed down to ensure their chances of getting beaten by other players go down.

Most die hard tennis fans would definitely prefer diversified conditions and surface speeds across the season, but unfortunately that's not what would bring in the $$$
Anyone who contests this should have seen Charlie Pasarell (IW tournament director) when Nadal broke back in the second set against Nalbandian in their match there this year.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #710
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
TF doesn't count.
Quote:

But Women's Tennis in general is actually starting to get more popularity while Men's Tennis is losing popularity.

That's what I mean, how would they be money makers for the ATP when it's the fans paying for tickets, watching matches, and just generally being involved with Tennis that makes their money. And if the fans are disinterested (like they are now) then the ATP loses money

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #711
country flag cmoss

cmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond reputecmoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This.

Roger Federer | Grigor Dimitrov | Dominic Thiem | Nick Kyrgios
cmoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #712

Quote:
But Women's Tennis in general is actually starting to get more popularity while Men's Tennis is losing popularity.

That's what I mean, how would they be money makers for the ATP when it's the fans paying for tickets, watching matches, and just generally being involved with Tennis that makes their money. And if the fans are disinterested (like they are now) then the ATP loses money
I said the top 4 are cash cows, not the sport in general. I agree men's tennis is probably losing (genuine) fans, not everyone can put up with pushathons everywhere. But by hyping up four players to superstar status at the expense of everyone else and the sport in general, the ATP are making huge profits.

Don't you remember to which lengths the organizers were to make sure Ferrer and Berdych had no chance of winning their semis at the USO? Tennis isn't more popular than ever, but the 'Big 4' is. Everything must done to milk that cash cow for all it's worth, and given how one dimensional 2/3 of them are slowing the courts down more and more to make them as immune to upsets as possible is the way.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #713
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Slowing is a good thing, people get to see rallies and more tennis, while players get to show off more skills instead of just serving. Everyone wins, except the serve bots. This is a positive. 90's tennis with Sampras against Ivanisievic on lightning fast indoor court was 2-3 shot rallies and shitload of tiebreaks. That wasn't real tennis.
AO final was not real tennis, it was more like marathon and boxing.

USO final was snoozefest, and the worst slams final in terms of quality.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #714

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said the top 4 are cash cows, not the sport in general. I agree men's tennis is probably losing (genuine) fans, not everyone can put up with pushathons everywhere. But by hyping up four players to superstar status at the expense of everyone else and the sport in general, the ATP are making huge profits.

Don't you remember to which lengths the organizers were to make sure Ferrer and Berdych had no chance of winning their semis at the USO? Tennis isn't more popular than ever, but the 'Big 4' is. Everything must done to milk that cash cow for all it's worth, and given how one dimensional 2/3 of them are slowing the courts down more and more to make them as immune to upsets as possible is the way.
Still confused as ever. I honestly know very few people who wouldn't want the top 4 to lose their positions at the top. So therefore keeping them at the top and advertising to death will just give us more exposure to them and therefore lose interest in them faster (which many have already) So because generally speaking not many people like the top 4 anymore, how exactly are they making money?

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #715
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
AO final was not real tennis, it was more like marathon and boxing.
2012 AO final was one of the greatest matches the sport has ever seen.

The brutality of it was immense. None of the guys from the past would have survived something like that. It gave a perspective to pushing this sport to new limits.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #716

Quote:
Still confused as ever. I honestly know very few people who wouldn't want the top 4 to lose their positions at the top. So therefore keeping them at the top and advertising to death will just give us more exposure to them and therefore lose interest in them faster (which many have already) So because generally speaking not many people like the top 4 anymore, how exactly are they making money?
Because you're thinking about real tennis fans, which are a minority. The majority are gloryhunters/player fans. You see that phenomenon on MTF too; a good % of posters are not tennis fans, but fans/tards of *insert top 4 player here*. This kind of fan is the majority and the target audience, you don't want them to be interested in tennis per se, you want to give them superstars to bandwagon/idolize.

There's also sponsors of course: what better way to hype up the sport to the sponsors than with this golden era with amazing top 4 BS?

Real tennis fans want things to change, but unfortunately the $$$ doesn't come from them.

Quote:
The brutality of it was immense. None of the guys from the past would have survived something like that. It gave a perspective to pushing this sport to new limits.
It definitely gave a new perspective to pushing, that's for sure
Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #717

Quote:
Because you're thinking about real tennis fans, which are a minority. The majority are gloryhunters/player fans. You see that phenomenon on MTF too; a good % of posters are not tennis fans, but fans/tards of *insert top 4 player here*. This kind of fan is the majority and the target audience, you don't want them to be interested in tennis per se, you want to give them superstars to bandwagon/idolize.

There's also sponsors of course: what better way to hype up the sport to the sponsors than with this golden era with amazing top 4 BS?

Real tennis fans want things to change, but unfortunately the $$$ doesn't come from them.
I thought more people hate the top 4 than vice versa I guess not It seems like a marketing strategy that only 6 year olds would fall for We need a revolt, and we need one now!

Quote:

Old 09-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #718
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Lenders you are getting as bitter/redundant as some of the nostalgiatards around here who still think S&V on 90's grass is the only way to play the game. Also pretty presumptuous to assume who is "real tennis fan" and that they "want things to change". I think many people enjoy epic matches of today with many momentum shifts instead of "lol that guy had one bad service game, he just lost the set".
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #719
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lenders you are getting as bitter/redundant as some of the nostalgiatards around here who still think S&V on 90's grass is the only way to play the game. Also pretty presumptuous to assume who is "real tennis fan" and that they "want things to change". I think many people enjoy epic matches of today with many momentum shifts instead of "lol that guy had one bad service game, he just lost the set".
Yes, this past US Open final was just fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
As a knowledgable tennis fan (unlike some people here), I can tell you exactly that. There are tennis players who have problems with playing indoor tennis because of the different lights, different sounds etc. compared to outdoors and Nadal is obvioulsy one of those players.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #720

Quote:
It's hard to believe that anyone would want the top 4 to stay around for years to come. Can you honestly say that you want absolutely no change with the top players of the game?

Quote: