Tennis wrist problem - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
country flag integral

integral is on a distinguished road
Default Tennis wrist problem

Hello,
I have been facing problems with my wrist when playing tennis for some time now. It hurts especially with the forehand topspin and forehand volley. As what I was able to find out from the web, this could be wrist tendonitis. It hurts in the area that is in red circle:
http://www.google.si/imgres?start=19...iw=975&bih=647

Any suggestions if this could be it?
What to do with my wrist now etc. I can play but it hurts.
integral is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
country flag predictiontennis

predictiontennis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tennis wrist problem

I have had the same pain off and on. Before you play, wrap your wrist in 1/2-inch wide adhesive tape ( http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-First-.../dp/B001E96M4E) so that the wrist motion is reasonably restricted. If you need addition support, put a wrist guard on as well. McDavid is pretty good for tennis, you'll probably want a large unless you have very small wrists ( http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Elasti...wrist++mcdavid). You'll have somewhat less range of motion, but your wrist shouldn't hurt when you play. Good luck with it.
predictiontennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Wrapping it is stupid. Wrapping anything on your body for tennis is silly to begin with, it restricts mvoement which hinders your game. Wrist injuries are very common, but it really shouldn't be too serious is general unless it is absolutely unbearable, then you may have a serious problem like Del Potro and Davydenko had.

1. Analyze how you hit the ball. Perhaps it is quite unorthodox and actually can be improved for both the stroke itself and for avoiding future injuries. Aska local coach to watch you play if that may be a concern.
2. Stretching the wrist area is very key, however, you want to be very cautious stretching as you could easily damage your wrists. In case you don't know the proper way to stretch your wrists, there should be many videos and how-to-do tutorials online for this. I would try to explain it in words, but I don't want to confuse you and have you do something incorrectly.
3. Do some wrist strengthening at the gym. Perhaps you haven't been playing tennis for too long (or you had a very long period where you didn't play) and that commonly leads to sore and painful wrists. If you are a rather new player, then what you are experiencing is quite common and you may just have really sore wrists. In that case, just give it time and play more so that one day your wrists will be strong enough.
4. Take a break from tennis. You definitely do not want to make it worse. Either take it really easy on court and try not to use your wrist too much (maybe play half court tennis to just keep the feel of the ball) or just take a break in general. Then after your wrist feels great, you can restart how you train and perhaps start a pre-practice wrist stretching regimine.

The fact that it hurts when you hit a forehand topspin or volley tells me you use your wrist heavily in those shots, which is obviously very normal for many players. For most, backhand groundstrokes/volleys don't use the wrist that much (unless you have a one-hander) which is why it isn't hurting off that wing. How much wrist you use would be the question to find the answer for. Again, maybe what you are doing is quite unorthodox or not really helping your game, so only by analyzing your strokes with a coach or instructor you can perhaps find out if the problem you have is coming from the actual mechanism of hitting the ball or if you just have a sore/tired wrist.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

Two major reasons for wrist injuries: technical problems and stiff strings. Somehow assess your technique (take a lesson or two or film yourself). Take a couple days off, stretch it and put some ice on it. Finally try a multifilament or a synthetic gut if you've been playing with a polyester or at least try to drop the string tension a bit.
Smasher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Stretching, ice, rehab exercises.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
country flag lowy

lowy is on a distinguished road

Are you a wristy player? If so it might be worth some effort training a new technique with a wrist assist, just a band wrapped around your arm. See the video about the wrist assist on this page http://www.tennisattack.com/social-player/ I find the wrist assist really helpful.
Djocos flat laserbeam shot
Gasquets T/S backhand
Rafas work ethic and nerve
Federers angled slice chip shots
Edbergs Volleys

TENNIS ATTACK
lowy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
country flag 62strat

62strat is on a distinguished road

Are you using poly? if so, you should probably switch to a soft multi. Are you using a stiff racquet? If so, you should probably not be using a stiff racquet.
62strat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote