"Modern Tennis Method" & Injuries - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
country flag belcantoj

belcantoj is on a distinguished road
Question "Modern Tennis Method" & Injuries

My daughter started tennis 2 years ago - she just turned 10. Instead of learning the conventional way I chose a private coach who follows Oscar Wegner's MTM method (open stance, kick serve, windshield-wiper forehand, no side-on stuff etc.). MTM seems very logical and sure enough has allowed my daughter to pick the game up very quickly. Also, form wise, she "looks" a player unlike many kids her age whose form seems a little uncoordinated.

However, around October last year she got tendonitis and tennis elbow in her right arm (per orthopedist) - she practices about 3 to 5 hours a week. We stopped immediately and didn't pick back up until January this year - doing strengthening etc. in between as advised by the therapist. However, the pain recurred in July - we stopped again immediately and this time the orthopedist noticed a separation of growth plates in her elbow and shoulder! She is now in a cast and sling and will follow up with therapy.

While she is going to be out again for at least 5 weeks, I am really concerned that she has gotten injured twice now, with seemingly things that happen due to overuse or incorrect technique etc. I know for a fact that there are other kids her age who play/practice far more than the 3 to 5 hours a week that she does. Also, she regularly does age-appropriate stretching and strengthening. She eats really healthy and in fact is in very good shape. Now I myself have never played tennis but like I said, she "looks" to have pretty good tennis form as well.

So, I am really perplexed as to why she keeps getting injured. Are we wrong in not going down the traditional tennis learning route first - or am I just being too concerned over her injury. She really loves to play but I don't want her to mess her body up in the process. Please advise.
belcantoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
country flag 62strat

62strat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Modern Tennis Method" & Injuries

Tennis elbow comes from many factors, but in my experience it comes from too stiff of a racquet, strings strung too tight, too stiff of strings, and not re-stringing often enough.

So, my questions are:
1. whats the make and model of the racquet she's using?
2. Is she using the same racquet, or did you buy her a few different types of racquets? (consistency)
3. what brand strings/type of strings does she use?
4. how often do you restring her racuqet(s)?
5. What's the tension you string her racquet at?

thanks
62strat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote