2012 Hardcourt all the way! 100% going forward! Hopefully. - Page 81 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #1201
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 Hardcourt all the way! speedy recovery from shoulder injury.

Ok guys, a little bit of late retribution for our boy Gilles Simon. There is currently a rain delay going on today and they are going back and showing the Fish Simon match replay on ESPN2 but with live new commentary by Chris Fowler and John McEnroe. They once again even after the fact and the match being over and the press conferences given didn't know about Simon's shoulder injury or why he was playing the way he was and started once again poo pooing his game and mocking his 1st and 2nd serves. Even though it was all over and done with, it still got me fired up and steamed once again so I took action this time.

So, I knew that Chris Fowler was a very active social media guy and uses twitter and checks it often even during the commercial breaks and I follow him on twitter so I hopped on twitter and read him the right act and explained to him what was actually wrong with Simon and why he was serving and playing the way he was.

These were my tweets to him:

Quote:
@cbfowler You & John McEnroe's commentary on the rain delay replay of Fish Simon is ridiculous. How could you not know about Simon's injury
Quote:
@cbfowler Instead of ridiculing Simon for serving 90mph serves how about giving him credit for competing with a shoulder tear?
Quote:
@cbfowler He is having to get infiltration now and will be out 3 weeks. I know he's not American but at least get the facts on the guy.
Quote:
@cbfowler He deserves credit for winning his 1st 2 rounds on shear wil, grit & determination & not for throwing in the towel like others do
Quote:
@cbfowler He's had this injury since after the Olympics. Lost 1st round Toronto; Couldn't play in Cincinnati & decided to give US Open a go
Quote:
@cbfowler & the reason why Simon is looking exhausted & stretching his legs is because he had to win his 1st two rounds with no serve
Quote:
@cbfowler He never once called 4 trainer either even though he could've. But of course let's mock the guy's serve & playing tactics instead
And sure enough, Chris Fowler checked his twitter. This was his response during the 1st commercial break after I had tweeted him those tweets:

Quote:
I think playing with a shoulder "tear" is really unwise, if that's what it is. We are not mocking him, btw. We've complimented.
So then when they came back from commercial break they started singing a different tune about Simon and started talking about the shoulder injury and how Simon had lost 1st round in Toronto and pulled out of Cincinnati and that he was showing a lot of heart. Fowler of course didn't make any mention of where he got that info from but I don't really care nor want the credit, I just wanted the truth to come out for anybody who might have been watching this replay. Nobody better trash our guy or they will be sorry.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #1202
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, they are so clueless. I swear I heard someone in the commentator booth yesterday already said Gilles has an injury. But sure enough, still no one besides that person catch on. Not even they don't do research, they don't even listen to each other's talks.

And, GilleSimonAddict

I remember now, that person is Gimelsob. When he was reporting to that whoever guy about Fish's withdrawal, he mentioned that he played an injured Simon. That's about it. So I guess the other commentators didn't listen to his report.

Last edited by lalaland : 09-04-2012 at 10:54 PM.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #1203
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

I just turned on the ESPN3 feed, Gilles serving for 2nd set. And JMac said "it's understandable for Fish, players don't practice returning slow serves..." . Well, why those guys bother to serve at 140 when the 90 serve is even harder to return...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #1204
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

I know, it's so annoying that people think he usually plays that way

Sure, he can be defensive at times but a player who's been in the top 20 for four of the last five years doesn't just roll in 90 mph serves and tap groundstrokes over the net with no variation.

Anyway, thanks GilleSimonAddict, I wanted to do the exact same thing but don't have twitter so I couldn't respond but I'm glad someone else did!

Just wanted to add that Chris Fowler usually isn't so bad about Gilles, it's McEnroe that has a real problem with Gilles and any players that aren't in your face after every point.

Last edited by mike s. : 09-05-2012 at 12:39 AM.
mike s. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #1205
country flag lalaland

So I watched that replay on espn3...got all boiled up again the first 5 mins listening to these ppl, . I know, masochistic that I am. First they call him non-French, saying when he played Fish at RG, they wonder who the French crowd cheered for (I mean, huh? they think the French will ever cheer for Fish? Are they insane? I still have that match on file to show them who the French cheered for). They think Monfils plays with a lot of flair (if you call push push push then a circus jump to retrieve a ball "flair", then I guess he does). And then they said Simon gives trouble to the likes of Federer and Murray. What? have they ever watch Gilles played Andy the last 9 times? These ppl talked out of their asses, it's a shame that we can't talk back to tell them how stupid they are, no one holds them accountable for not having a clue.

I said it before, I say it again, I can't stand the American commentators, they like showboating, they like big servers, they love power, they don't respect anything else. Don't think the likes of Courier's ever appreciated as much even winning 4 slams in his time). I like the Brit commentators, most of them appreciate what Gilles brings to the table that not many is able to offer (the throw back game, not just over-powering everything). Last year USO the match Gilles played DelPo, the US commentary was so horribly against Gilles. Fortunately, I got the torrent that is from Sky (or maybe Eurosports) for the first 3.5 sets and it was a very pleasant match to watch. And I do have to say, the only American exception is Todd Martin, he knows about the players and he explains the game well. He was explaining the tactics when he commented Gilles' match against GGL last USO, very informative. When you watch on TV from an elevated camera angle, it's hard to see these subtle things like variations of the balls, and if you don't know how things work, it's not possible to watch and figure the tactic yourself (for casual fans I mean). Todd pretty much just walk you through the whole match what Gilles was doing to his opponent. I kinda feel bad for him that he gained that reputation for ruining Nole's serve (and I admit, I didn't like him being Nole's coach too bcos of the result). But I do think he's a good coach, because he really explains thing very well, he is a very smart guy.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1206
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
So I watched that replay on espn3...got all boiled up again the first 5 mins listening to these ppl, . I know, masochistic that I am. First they call him non-French, saying when he played Fish at RG, they wonder who the French crowd cheered for (I mean, huh? they think the French will ever cheer for Fish? Are they insane? I still have that match on file to show them who the French cheered for). They think Monfils plays with a lot of flair (if you call push push push then a circus jump to retrieve a ball "flair", then I guess he does). And then they said Simon gives trouble to the likes of Federer and Murray. What? have they ever watch Gilles played Andy the last 9 times? These ppl talked out of their asses, it's a shame that we can't talk back to tell them how stupid they are, no one holds them accountable for not having a clue.

I said it before, I say it again, I can't stand the American commentators, they like showboating, they like big servers, they love power, they don't respect anything else. Don't think the likes of Courier's ever appreciated as much even winning 4 slams in his time). I like the Brit commentators, most of them appreciate what Gilles brings to the table that not many is able to offer (the throw back game, not just over-powering everything). Last year USO the match Gilles played DelPo, the US commentary was so horribly against Gilles. Fortunately, I got the torrent that is from Sky (or maybe Eurosports) for the first 3.5 sets and it was a very pleasant match to watch. And I do have to say, the only American exception is Todd Martin, he knows about the players and he explains the game well. He was explaining the tactics when he commented Gilles' match against GGL last USO, very informative. When you watch on TV from an elevated camera angle, it's hard to see these subtle things like variations of the balls, and if you don't know how things work, it's not possible to watch and figure the tactic yourself (for casual fans I mean). Todd pretty much just walk you through the whole match what Gilles was doing to his opponent. I kinda feel bad for him that he gained that reputation for ruining Nole's serve (and I admit, I didn't like him being Nole's coach too bcos of the result). But I do think he's a good coach, because he really explains thing very well, he is a very smart guy.
It's infuriating because they don't even try. If he's going to be the feature night match, then why don't you interview him or his coaches before, watch some of his previous matches, or look up his stats? I can't wait until he's healthy again so he can win some big matches and prove these idiots wrong once again.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #1207
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

honestly it doesnt surprise me how naive they were about his situation

he's not djokovic, federer, nadal, murray, sharapova, williams, azarenka or kvitova so they dont care
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #1208
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I have quite a poor opinion of American commentators in general (apart from the ex-players) as they seem to have been recruited from the reject pile from commentators of more "American" sports. Plus they appear to get paid per word for the verbal stream of conciousness stuff and amount of learning on the job they do. But then I'm totally spoilt by the BBC and to a lesser extent by Sky (but not Eurosport!) An excellent channel is English Al Jazeera sport all the best BBC and Sky commentators moonlighting and high quality broadcasts - you'll probably catch a stream of theirs at some point
And well done you GilleSimonAddict!!!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #1209
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

I was just curious if anybody has come across or found anything out about how Gilles' infiltration went and whether or not he's on track to be back in time for Bangkok which is now just under two weeks away?
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #1210
country flag TennisFan2012

TennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond repute

GilleSimonAddict, great job on the tweets! Fowler should have been a bigger person and should have owned up to both not knowing something he and other on the broadcast should have known about and thanked you for it. But the important thing was that he did read the tweets and it did affect what was said on the air. I'm sorry I haven't heard any updates, in (non-)answer to your question.

MsTree, nearly all of the commentators on the US tennis broadcasts are former players (Gilbert, the McEnroes, Drysdale (who is South African), Evert, Navratilova, Cahill (who is Aus.), Carillo, etc.). So I am not sure to whom you are reacting. The other people who are on some of the broadcasts (like Fowler, Storm, and McAtee) are under contract to cover lots of events on different sports, so the networks are just getting what they think is their money's worth by putting them to work on lots of sporting events, and other than those in coordinating roles who may do an interview or two, these people are there basically to ask questions of people like McEnroe to keep the commentary going. So it's understandable that they will not know as much about players as we'd like. But I think the former players should know about all of the top players and they should be embarrassed to keep spouting misinformation. And IMHO, the networks should definitely get some assistants in there to do research before the matches and prep them.

Not to generalize, but the British commentators who are on the Tennis Channel here are not good.
TennisFan2012 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #1211
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know many names as I'm referring to the nobodies but I can give you Dick Enberg as a prime example of who I'm talking about. He was so annoying and clueless I had to find out who he was. If you've ever watched the American version of the Gilles v Fed match from Toronto 2008 there's another couple of examples right there. The koenig / goodall combo who commentated on that match for ATPworldtour world feed are vastly superior - you wouldn't think it was the same match they were watching! I can assure you that none of the commentators I'm referring to are ex players as even names for basic shots seem to elude some of them. No idea who might be working for TC that's British but if they are from the same pool that work for Eurosport then I'll probably agree with you.
I'm not picking on Americans if that's what you think? Many Americans complain about the same lack of quality on the major networks (with the smaller matches) that annoys me! But I enjoy a lot of American commentary made by posters on MTF - just wish they could get jobs working in that field!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #1212
country flag TennisFan2012

TennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisFan2012 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand listening to Koenig / Goodall. I don't find them any more knowledgeable than some of the people you are complaining about, and find them tedious and often annoying. So, to each, his or her own.

Dick Enberg (who is now retired) was in the category of the people who were under contract to do lots of different sports. There is no question most of them know little about tennis. But they never (to my knowledge) appear alone on any tennis broadcasts. They are always with a McEnroe or another specialist/former player. It's those people who really should know a lot more about the top players, in my opinion, whether they learn it on their own or have an assistant prepare them.

I'm not inferring that you are picking on anyone--I am just providing some factual information, along with my own subjective opinions. I just think you are painting with a broad brush when you throw a lot of people together in the same category.
TennisFan2012 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #1213
country flag lalaland

According to this, Gilles is playing an exhibition match before Bangkok...
http://talkvietnam.com/2012/09/cilbu.../#.UFof466nfV8

... Cibulkova, who flew in from Canada will be joined by three other world-class tennis stars – Victoria Azarenka of Belarus, Gilles Simon of France and Feliciano Lopez of Spain – to play singles and doubles matches at the one-day event.

Azarenka, Simon and Lopez are expected to arrive in HCM City on September 19.

Well, it will be a light practice before going full force in Bangkok. Hope his shoulder is healed enough, I don't think it can completely heal in such short time, but knowing Gilles, he probably won't miss any tournament now being only 6 more weeks of the season to go. He won't be too happy if he falls off Top 20, me neither.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #1214
country flag MsTree

@Tennisfan2012 - Goodall does excellent analysis for various networks and is never less than knowledgable and informative. Each to their own though and thanks for the one fact that Enberg's retired - good news there at least!

Can't believe Gillou's playing an exo

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #1215
country flag lalaland

I love Goodall, he is the best out there IMO. And listening to Goodall and Koenig is like listening to Sherwin & Liggett in cycling, also IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTree View Post
Can't believe Gillou's playing an exo
He has a kid to feed