How Many Words Do You Mispronounce? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute
Question How Many Words Do You Mispronounce?

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/st...e/mispron.html

This is a very interesting topic. There are a wide variety of words that are commonly mispronounced, but people don't realize it. There are even a few words that were so commonly mispronounced, that the technically correct pronunciation was taken away. Among the best are the word "forte" being pronounced "fort", and the phrase "spitting image" actually being "spit and image". So which words you pronounce incorrectly out of this list?

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Words Do You Mispronounce?

That's such an American thing. I couldn't find one that I mis-pronounce.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Oh... So you pronounce forte "fort"? We do tend to be sloppier

Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut W Orleans (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus) Tashkent S&D (w/ Mr Brightside)

Quote:
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

FortÉ is an Italian expression, pronounced for-tay.

Fort without the accent is pronounced with a hard ending.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
FortÉ is an Italian expression, pronounced for-tay.

Fort without the accent is pronounced with a hard ending.
Did you see the link though? It says that technically the word "forte" with the e at the end is technically pronounced with a hard-ending. Here's the word forte in a sentence to clear things up "When playing Tennis, my backhand is my forte" The bolded word is pronounced with a hard ending like the word "fort" would be pronounced. Personally, I don't know anyone who pronounces "forte" like "fort" even though it's technically correct.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sorry D-man but we invented this language, we know how to speaky the englsih.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
sorry D-man but we invented this language, we know how to speaky the englsih.
Let's see how the non-English speakers mispronounce I thought people would like this...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using VerticalSports.Com App

Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
Let's see how the non-English speakers mispronounce
Well, I am not a native English speaker, but of the ones on your list I was only fooled by "Spitting Image" for which I blame this TV show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitting_Image

I agree with the Brits that most of these appear American in form. I guess a list of the most common mistakes this side of the Atlantic would be different.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Well, I am not a native English speaker, but of the ones on your list I was only fooled by "Spitting Image" for which I blame this TV show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitting_Image

I agree with the Brits that most of these appear American in form. I guess a list of the most common mistakes this side of the Atlantic would be different.
Good to know 1 got you! Too bad all of the lists seem to be the same Otherwise I would find one for you guys!

Quote:
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm from the US and I pronounce them all correctly as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATsol View Post
I'm from the US and I pronounce them all correctly as well.
A lot of them I pronounce correctly as well. Maybe you're not finding the ones that are more common? Like "forte" or "spit and image" or "candidate" or "prescription"?

Quote: