If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #106
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

I've always said they go about it the wrong way
Don't ban them, strip them of all past achievements and take away like the last year's prize money

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #107
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
I agree doping isn't going to do much for your technique or general skill level in tennis.

But for, say, the top 100 players, we're talking about VERY fine margins between winning and losing. These guys are all immensely talented tennis players. Using certain banned substances may aid/improve muscle strength (which can lead to more powerful serves/strokes), reflexes and stamina, and, crucially, reduce time needed for recovery between matches. This last element could make a big difference in tournaments, especially the demanding five-set majors.

I think the head of ITFs response a few years back when asked if there could be a problem with doping in tennis was the same as yours - doping isn't going to help tennis players get better, so there's no problem. And that's not the attitude you want to see from the head of the sport, quite frankly, if you want the sport to try and reduce the amount of cheating going on...
Right but what I argue is that the fine margins are almost entirely mental. Strength has barely anything to do with the game, or else why isn't the top 10 all big hitters mental strength is the most important aspect for the top 200, then stamina, then tennis skill and then lastly physical aspects including.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #108
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
I disagree that mental strength is as big as youre making it out to be. How do you decide who has the best mental strength? just sort by the ATP ranking? what about that guy that played with appendicitis? somehow i dont see him making the top 10 any time soon.
Lol? You can't be serious. The guy that had appendicitis didn't play a top player now, so really stupid comparison. Fact is players are better than each other in the top 200 because of stronger mental strength. Roger, Rafa and Novak are at the top because they are the best mentally day in and day out against everyone else. Yes, they lose to lower rank players here and there, but that doesn't mean they aren't mentally stronger in general. They clearly don't hit the ball the biggest, they aren't the fastest players on the tour, they don't have the biggest or best serves, etc. In fact for many of their attributes, you can find plenty of other players in the top 200 with just as good or better aspects.

Again, the fact that you didn't answer my question of why Murray isn't in the mix with those 3 I mentioned. Sure, people complain about his forehand, but it is good enough. It is entirely mental for him to continue to play the right shots and actually connect with the ball on an important point. Taking PEDs aren't going to make you focus and come up with a first serve on a break point down.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #109
country flag Sen no Rikyu

Sen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond reputeSen no Rikyu has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen this mentioned at all in this thread, so here it is: The tennis anti-doping rules state (s. 9.1): "An Anti-Doping Rule Violation committed by a Player in connection with or arising out of an In-Competition test automatically leads to Disqualification of the results obtained by the Player in the Competition in question, with all resulting consequences, forfeiture of any medals, titles, ranking points and Prize Money obtained by the Player in that Competition."

http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/rules/
Sen no Rikyu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote