Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Nr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup

Great letter, Anderson seems like a smart and honest guy.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
DAVID GOFFIN - NOVAK DJOKOVIC
MILOS RAONIC - JERZY JANOWICZ
STANISLAS WAWRINKA - JOHN ISNER
Nr 1 Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kevin Anderson: An Open Letter Regarding My Decision Not to Play Davis Cup

TLR

money > patriotism
Old 09-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff. Davis cup is irrelevant when you cannot support a normal life style after so many sacrifices to get to the top of your profession.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray-for-palestine-and-israel View Post
TLR

money > patriotism

Anderson
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno. The problem with DC is indeed the money. Wish Davis Cup had some big time sponsors that could feed the tennis federations giant sums of money. Sadly I don't think the public interest in DC is large enough to get that kind of sponsorship. (sponsors always want some "return", they arent doing charity....)

If it was more money flowing then countries could pay their participants like $100k each or so. Then oh boy would it become attractive to play DC suddenly.

But atm I understand guys like Kevin completely.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about the cash. Anderson presented his viewpoint well but the his issue is more about the problem with his federation and the conflict which arises due to Davis Cup representation.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
If it was more money flowing then countries could pay their participants like $100k each or so. Then oh boy would it become attractive to play DC suddenly.
Well, it's not like playing DC is going to cure the sick or stop the wars. If they want a strong DC participation, they should pay, otherwise just be happy with whoever decides to turn up.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
It's all about the cash. Anderson presented his viewpoint well but the his issue is more about the problem with his federation and the conflict which arises due to Davis Cup representation.
money = life

unfortunately.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In 2011 I played Davis Cup because it was financially attractive to do so; I was able to cover my expenses during the Davis Cup week and also the opportunity cost of adjusting my tournament schedule. However for this tie against Canada, TSA was not able to provide the support that justified me sacrificing my schedule and increasing my risk of injury. If I am injured during Davis Cup play, which happened last year, I receive no support, assistance or insurance from anybody. I am on my own.
By that logic, you wouldn't play any tournament as there is allways a risk of injury.

Quote:
I would also like to clarify my participation in the World Team Tennis (WTT) finals this week. My decision to play WTT finals came months after my choice not to play Davis Cup. About a month ago, I was asked if I wanted to compete in the finals of the WTT, which happens to take place the same weekend as the Canadian Davis Cup tie. The physical demands of WTT (which consists of a first to 5 games singles and doubles match) cannot be compared to a Davis Cup tie (which potentially involves 3 different 5 set matches over 3 days). Anybody who suggests otherwise clearly does not know the facts.
Being the best South African player I'm sure you are in good position to negotiate that you will only play 2 matches max. If you want to play another tournament, that's up to you, I don't have a problem with it, but don't come up with poor excuses.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I believe that I have to look out for my own career and my family’s future. My whole life I have made countless sacrifices in order to be the best athlete I can be. Unfortunately, sometimes that means making tough decisions, especially when it comes to Davis Cup. I am a proud South African and I don’t believe I have to prove this by sacrificial Davis Cup participation, 3 times a year. I proudly represent South Africa every time I step out onto the court; I fundamentally believe that South African representation at ATP, WTA and Grand Slam events is just as important for tennis in South Africa as the Davis Cup.

OMG, 3 times a year?!

How dare they subject you to such a sacrifice, specially for a guy who allways goes deep in the tournaments the week before, right, right?
redshift36188 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
OMG, 3 times a year?!

How dare they subject you to such a sacrifice, specially for a guy who allways goes deep in the tournaments the week before, right, right?
This may not seem that much but considering he doesn't get that far in slams, a DC tie is as long as a GS for him.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Sadly I don't think the public interest in DC is large enough to get that kind of sponsorship. (sponsors always want some "return", they arent doing charity....)
I don't know why people wouldn't be interested in DC. Large public is always very nationalistic, they support their own country's players. And that's not only in tennis, UEFA Champions League offers the best football, yet FIFA World Cup gets most attention. In my opinion, DC could be the most interesting competition for fans after slams. Only interest for random fans in MMs is that if some big names play there, they want to see them. But they don't care too much if those big names lost, main thing is that they win majors. But it'd be important for DC to get the big names playing, if only mugs play, it lacks credibility. If big names played DC more often, people would be interested to see them as well as their countries playing.

And I think ITF should pay a compensation for players playing in DC, thus making DC more attractive than a Challenger that week and 250 the following week.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
By that logic, you wouldn't play any tournament as there is allways a risk of injury.
What he means is that some tournaments offer a prize money and ranking points that make it worth it to assume the risk of getting injured. Davis Cup (in the case of the RSA federation) doesn't.

Quote:
Being the best South African player I'm sure you are in good position to negotiate that you will only play 2 matches max. If you want to play another tournament, that's up to you, I don't have a problem with it, but don't come up with poor excuses.
Two best-of-five set matches, in 2-3 days, that's not light on the body.

Quote:
OMG, 3 times a year?!

Anderson doesn't usually go deep in tournaments but he tries to compensate that by playing week after week.

Anyway, the fact that he's currently the only top South African player, and they count on him so much to get Davis Cup victories, only aggravates the issue. If there were 2-3 players in the top 100 then it wouldn't be much of a big deal for the RSA federation to offer few money to the players, as they could alternate throughout the year.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #28
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

Anderson is obviously not a real American
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
country flag BrunoBeidacki

BrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond reputeBrunoBeidacki has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin, you just earned yourself a new fan. Well written letter, showing just facts, and countless reasons NOT to play the Davis Cup tie. Why should national associations expect players to play for them if they don't give them any insurance or reason besides patriotism to play? It's a shame that this happens in such a high level competition. South Africa could beat Canada if Kevin was there... any way, well done Kevin.

Tennis Tipping Results:
Win: BEIJING (Singles)
PARIS (Doubles w/AdeyC), 4 CHALLENGERS in Doubles
RUNNER-UP: ROLAND GARROS 2012 (Doubles w/AdeyC)
-
CLEZAR
JANOWICZ
BrunoBeidacki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote