Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #106
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Matt try watching some clay court grind fests from the 80s on youtube.

Rallies went on forever. Then the server grabs balls and serves within 20 seconds.

nadal and Djokovic take more than 30 seconds in the first game of the match.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #107
country flag brithater

brithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shocker - ATP approves time violation penalty change & a trial of no-let rule

Get rid off bathroom breaks as well. The players can piss in a jar underneath a towel. Bathroom breaks slow the game down too much. Same goes for the women. Equal prize money and all.

The whole serve thing is outdated. If they really want to make this game fan friendly they should get serious. Instead of serving the players should just underhand toss the ball into the service boxes to start the point.

Gets some new form of tennis balls as well. Maybe nerf ball or something.

Also on changovers lets have something interesting for the fans. Maybe have a couple of clowns on standby to throw buckets of confetti on the fans.

If we are going to have progressive tennis lets get serious about it...sheesh.
brithater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #108
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Finally! Something is being done although it would be interesting to see if Dull gets affected.
Nadal can spend less time between points and play faster than anyone. Apparently you didn't watch him play before 2005. He takes more time between points because it lets him get into a better rhythm.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #109
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Wait...you are comparing the ATP tennis of the 90s with the tennis today?

I tell you it's not that easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
I partially agree.
Some of those things aren't necessary. But my point is that today, when tennis is more and more physical and in the days of (mostly) similar surfaces, players need more time to recover between points than they did 20 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
Agreed, when u have milion serve bots and serve volley players its natural u do not get tired fast and u have time to serve faster. While now that courts are slower so are other parts of the game are slower too. Anyways awesome rule.
obviously the game itself is more physical, but the act of receiving the balls from the ball boys/girls has remained the same

get the balls, choose one, and serve. no need for the excessive toweling off or excessive ball bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
Matt try watching some clay court grind fests from the 80s on youtube.

Rallies went on forever. Then the server grabs balls and serves within 20 seconds.

nadal and Djokovic take more than 30 seconds in the first game of the match.

exactly this. whether the point is 3 shots or 30 shots, doesn't matter. unless you're physically injured, strained or hurt i.e MTO, then there's no reason to take ages to serve
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 AM   #110
country flag bavaria100

bavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrathunder View Post
Removing the let is the dumbest proposal EVER.
Agreed. Just imagine you get an unreachable netcord serve on match point against you.

29 years ago, one young man conquered the world of Formula 1: Ayrton Senna. You´ll never be forgotten!!!

2012: Year of my TT Comeback
Singles – W: Sarasota, Lexington, Rennes, Challenger Tour Finals F: Orleans SF: Indian Harbour QF: Caloundra, Busan, Vancouver, Istanbul, Medellin, Champaign Doubles – W: Meknes (w/gulzhan) F: Burnie (w/Vilnietė), Sarasota (w/Igorche), Busan (w/Cheeky Chick), St. Remy (w/BrazilTBfan) SF: Indian Harbour (w/Broseghini), Istanbul (w/Mahqz) Won "Challenger Player of the Year" Award
bavaria100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #111
country flag Thirty All

Thirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond reputeThirty All has a reputation beyond repute

Getting rid of the net cord? What are they thinking?

Quote:
What rivalry? I win all the matches.
[Hingis, 1998]
Thirty All is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #112
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Uncle Toni forgot to do his monthly ass-kissing to everyone on the ATP Board

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #113
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria100 View Post
Agreed. Just imagine you get an unreachable netcord serve on match point against you.
It happens on rally balls, so why not on serves too?
Slice Winner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #114
country flag Thunder Hoad

Thunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Hoad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Nadal can spend less time between points and play faster than anyone. Apparently you didn't watch him play before 2005. He takes more time between points because it lets him get into a better rhythm.
That's pretty much what Looner is suggesting: that it woyld affect his play not that he was physically incapable of taking half a minute between points. Oy vey.

ATP should address enforcement before mucking around with the rules, though nobody wants umpires to decide the match.
Thunder Hoad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #115
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

They should fix the challenger prizemoney before the let thing.

As for the timewasting a whole lot of nothing will happen.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #116
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
They should fix the challenger prizemoney before the let thing.
problem is it's far beyond the power of this new committee

hence the little ambitious suggestions
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #117
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
problem is it's far beyond the power of this new committee

hence the little ambitious suggestions
No, it's not beyond them that is a more pressing issue which the ATP are responsible for so attack that problem.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #118
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

great news, specially the service let is out, i hope it was for the atp too, and forever, not only 3 months, will be better for the show

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Berankis-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Kike Lopez-Perez
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #119
country flag Nr 1 Fan

Nr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond reputeNr 1 Fan has a reputation beyond repute

No let service is the big news, I am not sure what changes about the time violation.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
DAVID GOFFIN - NOVAK DJOKOVIC
MILOS RAONIC - JERZY JANOWICZ
STANISLAS WAWRINKA - JOHN ISNER
Nr 1 Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #120
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what to think about abandoning the let, perhaps it will indeed improve the game - wait and see how it panns out in practice.

As for the time wasting-issue, the rule in itself never was the problem - it has always been the lack of enforcement of the rule that caused the real trouble.
If anything I hope something will be done about the fact that Expendable Character X, ranked #876, has a lot more chance to get penalized for time wasting than any of the Top Dogs.
I have yet to see it happening. It all sounds like an awful lot of window dressing to me.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote