With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley more? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #46
country flag AnotherGameFor

AnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

I think that volleying is dead because of the racquets. The Murray-Raonic match, especially in the 3rd set where Raonic was coming to the net all the time was a perfect example of the problem. Raonic would hit a good approach with Murray 5+ feet off the back of the court and in the double alley on the full run and stretch and then hit a perfect cross court passing shot that bounced halfway between the net and service line. When players can hit the ball with pace and that short from any position on the court, it makes volleying almost impossible. Combining that with a slow court and a high bounce, these guys can get to almost any drop volley and good deep volleys without difficulty as well.

So, if you want to bring back volleying (which I think would be good), you need to reduce topspin.....
AnotherGameFor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #47
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With the slowing of the surfaces and mega defense, should modern players volley m

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGameFor View Post
I think that volleying is dead because of the racquets. The Murray-Raonic match, especially in the 3rd set where Raonic was coming to the net all the time was a perfect example of the problem. Raonic would hit a good approach with Murray 5+ feet off the back of the court and in the double alley on the full run and stretch and then hit a perfect cross court passing shot that bounced halfway between the net and service line. When players can hit the ball with pace and that short from any position on the court, it makes volleying almost impossible. Combining that with a slow court and a high bounce, these guys can get to almost any drop volley and good deep volleys without difficulty as well.

So, if you want to bring back volleying (which I think would be good), you need to reduce topspin.....
Raonic's net positioning and agility at the net were the bigger issues, I thought, he's no Pat Rafter. Murray hits a cross court pass 99% of the time off the forehand and Raonic gave him that pass all night. Gotta close at a more imposing angle and cut off Muzza's best shot. Make him go down the line and then hit the winning volley.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #48
country flag brithater

brithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond repute

This era has the worst volleyers of all time IMO. They dont cover well, they dont approach well, they are indecisive etc. etc. In all..they play net like the WTA. There seems to be this view that volleying is more difficult now....LOL. Pssst...little secret....it was difficult back in the 90s as well. Thats why only the truely great explosive athletes with guts could pull off true serve and volley tennis. The Edbergs, Cash, Rafter type athletes. Of the current crop only Nadal has that type of explosive athleticism and balance. Maybe Gasquet as well.

Todays volleyers seem to concede the point when they have to hit a tough volley. Watch some of the Rafter matches from the latter part of his career. He was serve and volleying against some monster players who passed as well if not better than any of the current players.
brithater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #49
country flag AnotherGameFor

AnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Raonic's net positioning and agility at the net were the bigger issues, I thought, he's no Pat Rafter. Murray hits a cross court pass 99% of the time off the forehand and Raonic gave him that pass all night. Gotta close at a more imposing angle and cut off Muzza's best shot. Make him go down the line and then hit the winning volley.
I agree that Raonic needs to improve his anticipation at the net, but even the best volleyers would be in trouble vs alot of those shots. The top spin also makes it easier to lob so players can't stand right on top of the net either.
AnotherGameFor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #50
country flag jacoblewis2008

jacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond reputejacoblewis2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it would be dangerous to play more volley with the modern era players. The varying sport court surfaces make the game more interesting and provide enough of a debate between the players of the era.
jacoblewis2008 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #51
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
You can see why they don't on higher bounce surfaces, the ball decelerates so much in the air that top defenders have plenty time behind the baseline to get to it and rip a big hit.

Worth it against lesser lights though surely.
This is the truth of all. The courts are incredibly bouncy, there are numerous instances where volleys simply just sit up no matter what. I see sometimes Ferrer having time to make 3 kids and take a nap before crushing a pass CC. A lower bounce is critical for any type of volley, with that taken away you're left with pretty much making the perfect approach and the perfect volley on every single net rush, which is impossible and something that neither Rafter, nor Edberg or McEnroe ever managed to do, not even close.

That's the reason why no one comes in anymore. Djokovic, who's actually one of the few top players that makes sense when talking about tennis on a whole, alongside Murray, pointed out this last year that the biggest factor in today's game is the bounce of the courts.

He is goddamn right.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #52
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

If Djokovic could volley he would win everything.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #53
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

He never lost a match Because of bad volleying, so it doesn't change anything.

Volleying nowadays is for finishing sharp approaches and mix the tempo. Beside these it's not efficient.
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #54
country flag Maccie

Maccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond reputeMaccie has a reputation beyond repute

The reason people are not coming to the net anymore seems obvious to me. The ball/courts are too slow, the passings are too good and the returns are too good. Last two are impossible to control, that's just a matter of evolution. The first one however you can control.

Maybe it's an idea to introduce different types of balls like in squash. In squash you have balls that bounce less for the pro's especially to prevent the neverending rallies. Maybe we should introduce a pro ball that bounces less. It will make the rallies shorter and coming to the net more interesting.
Maccie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #55
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
He never lost a match Because of bad volleying, so it doesn't change anything.
No, he's lost matches because he doesn't know how to properly approach the net and volley.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #56
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
No, he's lost matches because he doesn't know how to properly approach the net and volley.
no, he hasn't

not in the last 3 years
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote