Endless Era Debates - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: This is a:

Subpar era 32 18.39%
Par era 32 18.39%
Strong era 110 63.22%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #91
country flag 70-68

70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute70-68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think this era will be remembered as a subpar era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyz View Post
This is one of if not the strongest era, where you have more than one player able to win a slam. You have three very solid players competing at the highest levels, battling it out in nearly every slam.
This can be said about every other 'eras'. There have never been an era when only one player was able to win slams.
And actually, in other eras, we had more than 2 or 3 players winning multiple slams, but in the last several years, we had not more than 2 or 3 real contenders at the slams, and everyone else was/is labeled as 'no chance'.
70-68 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #92
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Pop music is declining, therefore tennis as well. Indeed, how do you confront something that makes no sense in the first place
not what i suggested at all.

another poster was using a set of arguments to make the point that this isn't a mug era. i replied with a example that shows that those "arguments" don't prove anything
Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #93
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Same as your arguments, didn't really prove anything.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #94
country flag ssj100

ssj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USO Final: Murray beats Djokovic 7-6(10) 7-5 2-6 3-6 6-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post

Andy to win 4 slams next year
If Federer is a clay mug, then Juan Carlos Ferrero and just about every other clay court player in history is too. In fact, the only non-clay mugs are Borg and Nadal. Although Nadal is a bit of a clay mug playing in a mug era and still managing to lose at times (Soderling anyone?).

By the way, Nadal winning on hard/grass courts was the real sign of the apocalypse.

6-2, 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 and 6-3, 6-0 (and not even finals).
ssj100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #95
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
If Federer is a clay mug, then Juan Carlos Ferrero and just about every other clay court player in history is too. In fact, the only non-clay mugs are Borg and Nadal. Although Nadal is a bit of a clay mug playing in a mug era and still managing to lose at times (Soderling anyone?).
Borg, Nadal, Lendl - only 3 worthy clay players.

Quote:
By the way, Nadal winning on hard/grass courts was the real sign of the apocalypse.
AO 2009 and Wimbledon 2008 still hurt?

Anyway, stick to the topic, Olderer lost in QF
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #96
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why no Guga?

Or Muster? His 95 season was sheer dominance on the dirt, albeit he played the post-Wimbledon clay swing too.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #97
country flag ssj100

ssj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond reputessj100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

AO 2009 and Wimbledon 2008 still hurt?

Anyway, stick to the topic, Olderer lost in QF
Beating a well past his prime Federer is nothing to get excited about. Also, I'm not even a Federer fan. And yes, back on topic, I'm always right and you seem to be frequently wrong. I called Berdych to beat Federer and for Murray to win the whole thing. So fun!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #98
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Why no Guga?

Or Muster? His 95 season was sheer dominance on the dirt, albeit he played the post-Wimbledon clay swing too.
Right. Kuerten too.

Muster, despite his dominance, only has 1 RG title to be considered one of clay goats. Just my opinion, of course, many people think he qualifies
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #99
country flag ssj100

Quote:
Right. Kuerten too.

Muster, despite his dominance, only has 1 RG title to be considered one of clay goats. Just my opinion, of course, many people think he qualifies
Kuerten played in a mug clay era. No way he qualifies. Incredible he became world no. 1 by just being good on clay. Such a mug era, just like the era of 2007-2012, where you have pushers like Murray winning Grand Slams.

U mad bro?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #100
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

wilander?

i'd put him in the top 5 of the open era on clay

(nadal, borg, lendl, kuerten, wilander)
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #101
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Right. Kuerten too.

He's not one of the GOATs but that season definitely makes him a great player on the surface.

Nadal, Borg, Lendl, Wilander Guga top 5 easily. Bruguera was a beast too, he was like the Nadal of the early 90s (topspin, brick wall, heavy FH and on clay his passing shots were the best on tour at the time.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #102
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
Kuerten played in a mug clay era. No way he qualifies. Incredible he became world no. 1 by just being good on clay. Such a mug era, just like the era of 2007-2012.
kuerten beat agassi and sampras back to back on indoor carpet (his weakest surface by far) at the Year End Championships to seal no1 and year end end no1
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #103
country flag brithater

brithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond reputebrithater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think this era will be remembered as a subpar era? (Era debate)

Its a weak era by design. Two Major major things have contributed to this.

#1 32 seeds in the majors...ask yourself how has this made a difference compared to previous 16 seed draws

#2 Court surface manipulation.....this was really the tipping point

The entire system is based around protecting your sport figurheads....the federers...the nadals....the Novaks....the murrays.....In the past you would have players that could break through. Now its all about endorcement deals etc. etc.

The next most distructive thing in the game for the next ten years I predict will come from the organizations such as the USTA. They seem to be operating under a sort of extortion business plan now and with time they will bottom out the sport at the recreational level so you wont be able to step foot on a public court in the US without forking some "contribution" to the USTA. Thus pushing the entire sport into the realm of the elite etc. etc.
brithater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #104
country flag NameNumber

NameNumber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
kuerten beat agassi and sampras back to back on indoor carpet (his weakest surface by far) at the Year End Championships to seal no1 and year end end no1
The Masters Cup was not held on Carpet in 2000. Since 1996, Carpet has only resurfaced for the Year End in 2005.
NameNumber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #105
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think this era will be remembered as a subpar era? (Era debate)

Guga was the toast, Muster was the butter. These guys were epic. Guga's win at the YEC (straight setter in Lisbon) was the only time a player beat Agassi-Sampy and won the tourney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote