Joćo and Pedro Sousa - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
country flag VIPer7

VIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond reputeVIPer7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Joćo and Pedro Sousa

Hello Portuguese tennis fans, I have a question:

Is Joćo Sousa (Portuguese Davis Cup player who won his second Challenger title in Mersin two weeks ago) the brother of Pedro Sousa (Portuguese ex Davis Cup player who won his second Futures title in March)?

Pedro is 10 months older, so if their parents were busy it's biologically possible

I couldn't find any info about this on the web and was surprised that there's no thread here about either of them...
VIPer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joćo and Pedro Sousa

They are not related, but it gets better: Pedro Sousa is actually called Joćo Pedro Sousa. But appart from the name, they have nothing in common, one is comitted to the game and the career (Joćo), the other is a natural talented, Top-100 material, but totally crazy, and seems to not give a s**** if he loses or not. Looks line a big kid, but now might be growing to become an adult, judging from his last results.
Gil&becker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
country flag fsilva

fsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond reputefsilva has a reputation beyond repute

It's Joćo Sousa that is actually Joćo Pedro Sousa

Let's hope Pedro Sousa will start getting his head together... I've been watching his live streams (as well as the game against Machado) and he has an unbelievable potential! His match against Gilles Muller was a sound beating...

Reminds me of an interclubs match when I was capitaining my team in a doubles match against Pedro Sousa and Gastćo Elias (Pedro was 17 y.o. at the time and Gastćo 15 or so). My players started well, opening a 5-2 lead. But then, Pedro Sousa opened his bag of tricks and it was amazing to see his raw talent!
fsilva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
country flag Ramsay

Ramsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond repute

Pedro Sousa lost today in La Spezia QF against Kirche. He's returning after an injury.

Joćo Sousa won Tampere Ch (his 3rd in his career) and goes into his high-ranking. This week is the number 127 of the world and will be seeded in US Open qualy. Great news. Doing an awesome season. Is the single portuguese on top-100 of ATP Race.

Tennis Tipping

Singles rank: 248
Best tournaments: QF Fut Vigo, 2nd round CH Tampere

Doubles rank: 187
Best tournaments: Semi-finals CH Tampere and CH Pozoblanco (w/volc0mizado), Title CH Beijing (w/lolada_4), 2nd round Roland Garros (w/ Mesut Ozil)
Ramsay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Joćo Sousa is on fire! Another two great weeks (F and SF) at the CH level, will see him nearing Top-105 when ranks are published. Hope he maintains this form, and gets to 2012 Challenger finals, and gets to Top 100 before the end of the year, which would be great, and would give him Aussie Open Direct Acceptance, always important for a good start of the season.

Pedro Sousa is, as always, drowned in his mind-games, too much talent for him to handle...

This week, Portugal will play DC, Joćo Sousa is our only real hope...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
country flag Ramsay

Ramsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond repute

Top-100 ATP for Joćo Sousa this week. Congratz.

Tennis Tipping

Singles rank: 248
Best tournaments: QF Fut Vigo, 2nd round CH Tampere

Doubles rank: 187
Best tournaments: Semi-finals CH Tampere and CH Pozoblanco (w/volc0mizado), Title CH Beijing (w/lolada_4), 2nd round Roland Garros (w/ Mesut Ozil)
Ramsay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
country flag Gil&becker

Decent start to the season by Joćo Sousa. After first Round loss in Chenai to semi-finalist Bedene, he now got through qualies in Sidney. This is the beggining of at least half a season at ATP level. Hope it works well!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
country flag loopback

loopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond reputeloopback has a reputation beyond repute

They meet again
loopback is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
country flag Gil&becker

Joćo Sousa in great form. It was a pity that he lost the Clay-season because of a stupid injury on his toe. Now, with this two wins at US Open, he is back to Top90, and only defending about 70 points till the end of the season. Really mature now, great results, since he came back from injury. He seems capable to secure a decent run at the ATP level now! Playing well in clay and hard-courts. Don“t know if he will play AlpdenRijn CH next week, or will skip it (for now, still in the list). Also curious to see how he ends his season, if he chooses to go to South America series of CH, or if he risks to play ATP in Europe...
Go Joćo, our solid number one, now, with Gastćo Elias' injury (by the way, this should come to an end, and he will hopefully play a lot in South America till the end of the year).

Last edited by Gil&becker : 09-19-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
country flag Gil&becker

Bold move by Joćo Sousa. He will use his 100K UsOpen scholarship to go to Asia, and play the ATP Asian swing, probably playing Qualies at three events, including Shanghai Masters. First time a Portuguese feels confident to do so, instead of choosing to play CH in Europe or South America until the end of the year.
Go Joćo! At least it is worth a try!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
country flag Gil&becker

Joćo really in form now.
Played well today (appart form his first serve) against Stakhovsky, hang-on until that decisive break in 2nd set, and then baggeled him in the third. He is clearly peaking in terms of form, and now has already secured his Top-100 spot for the end of the season and Aussie Open MD direct acceptance. So, he can leave CH behind, and play the ATP Asian-swing qualies with no pressure, and then do the same in Valencia and Paris. Maybe he has one or two really good tournaments until the end of the season in him. The Asian tournaments normally have decent draws, so good number of points to grab.
By the way, a (difficult) win tomorrow against Tursunov would get him a SE at one of first ATP250 tournaments in Asia next week. Plus, the draw opens up a bit after Tursunov here in St. Petersburg... So, who knows? Can this be second Portuguese final at ATP Singles event ever?
Go Joćo!

Last edited by Gil&becker : 09-20-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
country flag Gil&becker

Great win by Joćo today, really solid against Tursunov, in two straight sets.
Best result of his career, and I think he has a decent chance to reach the final. Anyhow, he can use the SE spot in one next week tournaments (although I think he should rest, to prepare well for the two Chinese 500 and 1000 tournaments).
Well done, Joćo.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. He needs rest after 2 straigh very tiring weeks. But I can also see him taking that SE to collect 1st round money.

Bernard Tomic (The future)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4594/1ugb.jpg

Joćo Sousa, the first portuguese ever to win an ATP singles tittle (Malaysia Open 2013)
Sauletekis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
country flag Gil&becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
Agreed. He needs rest after 2 straigh very tiring weeks. But I can also see him taking that SE to collect 1st round money.
He would probably spend what he earns from first round in all the adittional flights for him and his coach, and all related expenses... He“ll have to play tomorrow the SF, even if he looses, he has to consider that in a week from tomorrow he has to start playing Qualies in Beijing...

But this is just me wondering. Obviously, I don“t know how he feels. I just wish he does the right choices, and builds on this recent form until the end of the season. It will be good to have somebody to replace Gil at the ATP level, not just playing 30K Challengers all year long.

What Joćo did at the USOpen and now in Russia is so significant, if we put it in perspective to what Portuguese players have achieved in the past. It is difficult to write the history of the present, but this last month will surely be quoted in the books about the History of Portuguese Tennis.

Go Joćo!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
country flag Gil&becker

Joćo just didn“t have enough against GGL today. He was probaby tired, and I really thnk he should avoid over-playing. Now, off to Malaysia, but I think he shouldn“t try too much there. Meaby try to really win one match (winnable against Harrison), and then just rest and go to Beijing, since he has qualies on the weekend. But in Malaysia, even first round loosers will secure decente dollars. I was not aware that the prize-money was so good (it doubles St. Petersburg pryze money!!).