Which of the four slams has the biggest quantifiable home advantage for the players? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which slam is worth the most in home court advantage?

AO 4 16.67%
FO 6 25.00%
SW19 3 12.50%
USO 9 37.50%
They are all the same level 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which of the four slams has the biggest quantifiable home advantage for the players?

Is it the English at Wimbledon, The Aussies at Melbourne, the French at RG or the Americans at US Open?

Is it just about the crowd or also the facility/travel factor as well?

AO is the furtherest away from most places. But its start of the year so everyones fresh.

French is a different language too so being French is a huge advantage at RG.

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
country flag wfrw07

wfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond reputewfrw07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which of the four slams has the biggest quantifiable home advantage for the playe

All things equal, I'd guess playing a Brit at Wimby is the hardest, because the crowd wants the hometown title so bad. I'd hate to be the guy playing deep in the fifth set against a Brit in the final.

After that I'd put the USO a bit ahead of the Aussie because Ashe is bigger, though person for person the Aussie is probably just as hard.

French is last.
FITD (#1/#3)
2012: Cincinnati
2013: Zagreb, Shanghai
2014: Eastbourne, Wimbledon, Atlanta, Gstaad
wfrw07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which of the four slams has the biggest quantifiable home advantage for the playe

a brit at wimbledon is the hardest.... for the brit
Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

honestly i think the americans. They definately seem to get more inspired then any of the others to play well at this event

you see alot more of the americans getting unexpected upsets over players at the US open then you do with home players at the other slams
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it really matters. Those who win grand slams seem to be able to do anywhere regardless of the crowd. Fed, Nadal, nor Nole are from the any of the countries they won them in. Nor was was Delpo for that matter. At the end of the day, it's just not a big factor.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

French is the least. Yeah most hostile crowd, but clay isn't their best players' surface AT ALL.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
country flag grahampros

grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
French is the least. Yeah most hostile crowd, but clay isn't their best players' surface AT ALL.
It usually just really rarely matters. Home court advantage is a pretty outdated concept in tennis by this point unless we're talking Davis cup. It's an international sport and the best win where they have to win. I think the last home town guy to win was what Rodick and that was 9 years ago.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Mugray, obviously. How else can you explain him winning his first set in his multiple GS finals?
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
country flag mikeqq

mikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond reputemikeqq has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's Australian Open.

But in the case of Federer, it does not matter. The home crowd will cheer against their homer player when Federer's playing.
mikeqq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
country flag grahampros

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeqq View Post
I think it's Australian Open.

But in the case of Federer, it does not matter. The home crowd will cheer against their homer player when Federer's playing.
It's an outdated argument that really just doest apply anymore. The home country thing in tennis just not in the game anymore.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's between Australian and US Opens, since the British and French don't win slams.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
country flag grahampros

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFuria View Post
Well it's between Australian and US Opens, since the British and French don't win slams.
Like Americans or Australians do at this point on the Men's side.. that's funny
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #13
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
Like Americans or Australians do at this point on the Men's side.. that's funny
It is, but at least their history extends to say a decade ago, not the 1910's.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
country flag grahampros

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFuria View Post
It is, but at least their history extends to say a decade ago, not the 1910's.
Not so bad for the French. They had Noah in 1983.

Home country just really isnt much of factor these day. Hell i'm an American and if Rod were in the final this year with Fed, id' be rooting for Fed.