Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 72 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How will it look?

Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 108 40.30%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.33%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 19 7.09%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 20 7.46%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.46%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 19 7.09%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.87%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.37%
Equal 4 1.49%
Federer ahead 47 17.54%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #1066
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's backhand against Nadal

^^
What did you do with T-Doc?
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #1067
country flag Slice Winner

Slice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond reputeSlice Winner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
I was just watching their match in IW this year. As you know, this is a high bouncing surface and a lot of people were expecting Fed to lose because of his known issue of struggling to hit a backhand against Rafa's topspin FH.

Like most one-handers, it's hard for Roger to hit the ball on shoulder height with his BH, but he is forced to do so because he usually insists on hitting the ball from the baseline. I was wondering, do you think that Federer should take a step or two back before hitting this backhand? The point of hitting the ball would then be much lower. Of course this is only relevant when Nadal's shots are deep.

Check out THIS video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QRlgAbazU&NR=1

Notice the difference between this BH:
1:56

And those BHs:
9:25
9:33

The first one is kinda 'useless', but the other ones are very low and hit with a lot of pace.
If Federer can hit those backhands regulary, I think it would make his life easier. Note that against Djokovic those kinds of tactics are bound to hurt you because he takes the ball early and uses the opponent's pace, so standing outside the baseline is not recommended. But Nadal created pace himself, and after making this type of aggressive shot, he will usually return a high/short ball.

Anyway, your opinions?
The reason why he can really rip into the ones at 9:25 and 9:33 are because the balls are much shorter in the court.
The entire way Fed plays is based on him staying close to the baseline, taking time away from the opponent, and taking balls on the rise (or half-volleying) when necessary. He'll occasionally hit a weaker shot when the opponent hits very deep, but the backhand at 1:56 is not bad at all. In fact it's pretty damn good, considering how early he's taking it, and how much spin is on Nadal's shot.
Slice Winner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #1068
country flag Serve&Volley01

Serve&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond reputeServe&Volley01 has a reputation beyond repute

Topspintard is praising Federer?

What the...?

So we need Rafa=FedKilla, RafawonRG2011, and those other banned people to rally against now?
Serve&Volley01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #1069
country flag Ariadne

Ariadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve&Volley01 View Post

What the...?

So we need Rafa=FedKilla, RafawonRG2011, and those other banned people to rally against now?
So let me get this straight, MTF has become so vile a place that if someone posts an insightful opinion on their favorites nemesis, this somehow is reason for incredulity? Lord forbid any fan posting on these forums ever deviates from the tard stereotype!
Ariadne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #1070
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Olderer altered his BH over the years. It used to be a mostly flat drive that he used to go for wild winners and he used to hit amazing CC/DTL shots with it - but it led to a horrendous amount of UE's when pitted against Nadal's monstrous tospin lefty FH. These days, Olderer rarely hits BH winners, instead he has modified it into a more stable, grinding shot, designed to keep him in rallies and minimize errors. I actually applaud his ability to adapt to slower/higher bouncing courts and recognizing that his BH will never become a weapon on them - merely a solid shot that isn't a weakness.
You are probably right but I miss those backhand DTL winners he used to it in his prime.

Now he hits them very rarely...

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #1071
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What the...?

We've known for a long time TSD is a closet RF fan, so nothing new there .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #1072
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What the...?

I smell a double account here
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #1073
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endless Federer-Nadal debates (WTF vs Olympics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
So let me get this straight, MTF has become so vile a place that if someone posts an insightful opinion on their favorites nemesis, this somehow is reason for incredulity? Lord forbid any fan posting on these forums ever deviates from the tard stereotype!
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
You are probably right but I miss those backhand DTL winners he used to it in his prime.

Now he hits them very rarely...
He hit one in the Cincy final.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #1074
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endless Federer-Nadal debates (WTF vs Olympics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
I was just watching their match in IW this year. As you know, this is a high bouncing surface and a lot of people were expecting Fed to lose because of his known issue of struggling to hit a backhand against Rafa's topspin FH.

Like most one-handers, it's hard for Roger to hit the ball on shoulder height with his BH, but he is forced to do so because he usually insists on hitting the ball from the baseline. I was wondering, do you think that Federer should take a step or two back before hitting this backhand? The point of hitting the ball would then be much lower. Of course this is only relevant when Nadal's shots are deep.
No. Federer's court position is one of the biggest advantages he has over anyone anywhere. This adjustment would mean he would be standing meters behind the baseline waiting for Nadal's TS FH to drop down to waist level, which would put him in a huge disadvantage. Nadal would easily pull Fed wide on the BH side and then finish DTL or come to the net.

What Federer should do on the coming matches IMO is "Rosol" his game a little bit, as in be much more aggressive on the return games even to the point of refusing to play long rallies on Nadal's service games. Often you see Federer sprint out into a lead in their matches on quick points and Nadal struggling to find his rythm, then have a 20-25 shot rally ending in a Federer UFE and suddenly the match turn around. I think Federer should take the mentality of attacking every 2nd serve, every short ball and coming to the net a lot.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #1075
country flag RinkaWaw

RinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond reputeRinkaWaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Rafael Nadal ducking Roger Federer?

I understand Nadal picked up an injury, but it's now being reported that he'll be 'out' for a longer time than first expected. Understand that this is my take on it and my opinion. You can leave the post right now if you don't agree.

Now, over the last 6 months Federer has improved greatly. So much so that he's putting Novak in his place, again. His shots are so precise and devastating that the ball hits flush and on the line just about every time. He doesn't need muscle or power to hit the balls, he connects cleanly almost effortlessly. At this time we're supposed to believe that Nadal is injured. I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. Your drama was all too convenient, and I don't just consider it a coincidence

The fact of the matter is.. Nadal is a mere shell of his former self, deflated as an athlete, on both physical and mental levels. He knows of the danger that awaits him, and he want's nothing to do with it. Federer on the other hand has evolved. Federer flips a switch in his head, and goes in to bullet-time. With matrix type capabilities. Nadal can't compete with that..

I think he's at home watching and thinking to himself, 'I made the right decision'. His family, managers and friends called to tell him, THANK GOD YOU DIDN'T PLAY THE US.

Man up Nadal, I know you're reading this. Dont go into hiding. I give you respect for what you have accomplished thus far, but it's time to step up to the plate. Let's see you test yourself against the real Roger Federer. Roger Federer V2. If not just say you're scared of my boy Federer and that's that. I'll have more respect for you that way, than sitting there in hiding and avoiding the questions everyone has concerning it. Man up, or back down.

With all the dodging you do, I think the Matrix 4 director is looking for a new lead actor, and I think you pretty much got the role locked.
RinkaWaw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #1076
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Rafael Nadal ducking Roger Federer?

yes
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #1077
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

federer is probably the only player he is not ducking from.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #1078
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps. Roger beat him at super slow IW. Makes you wonder.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #1079
country flag Ace Pounder

Ace Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond reputeAce Pounder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkaWaw View Post
I understand Nadal picked up an injury, but it's now being reported that he'll be 'out' for a longer time than first expected. Understand that this is my take on it and my opinion. You can leave the post right now if you don't agree.

Now, over the last 6 months Federer has improved greatly. So much so that he's putting Novak in his place, again. His shots are so precise and devastating that the ball hits flush and on the line just about every time. He doesn't need muscle or power to hit the balls, he connects cleanly almost effortlessly. At this time we're supposed to believe that Nadal is injured. I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. Your drama was all too convenient, and I don't just consider it a coincidence

The fact of the matter is.. Nadal is a mere shell of his former self, deflated as an athlete, on both physical and mental levels. He knows of the danger that awaits him, and he want's nothing to do with it. Federer on the other hand has evolved. Federer flips a switch in his head, and goes in to bullet-time. With matrix type capabilities. Nadal can't compete with that..

I think he's at home watching and thinking to himself, 'I made the right decision'. His family, managers and friends called to tell him, THANK GOD YOU DIDN'T PLAY THE US.

Man up Nadal, I know you're reading this. Dont go into hiding. I give you respect for what you have accomplished thus far, but it's time to step up to the plate. Let's see you test yourself against the real Roger Federer. Roger Federer V2. If not just say you're scared of my boy Federer and that's that. I'll have more respect for you that way, than sitting there in hiding and avoiding the questions everyone has concerning it. Man up, or back down.

With all the dodging you do, I think the Matrix 4 director is looking for a new lead actor, and I think you pretty much got the role locked.

Derp.

Deus ex MachineGun
(Ignosce mihi.)

Ace Pounder is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #1080
country flag SerialKillerToBe

SerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond reputeSerialKillerToBe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkaWaw View Post

This forum needs a new age limit.
SerialKillerToBe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote