There is no finish line... - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #226
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is no finish line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth79 View Post
I think this list is a bit arbitrary. The reason for this is that prior to 1990 all tournaments below Grand Slam and above the level which is now 250 were called Super Series. In that list I think they just picked the 9 richest Super Series each year and designated them as equivalent to todays` Masters when such dictinction never actually existed at the time. I have most of the World of Tennis [edited by John Barrett] yearbooks from 1970-2001 and there were no such distinctions made. What is now 500/1000 were then Super Series. Additionally you had the at times independent WCT tour.

This means that Lendls total is not quite as impressive because the top players were spread out more ie. you often had 2 super series events per week.
Thank you for the information, Kenneth. Interesting to read. We'll call Nadal's 21 the official record, then, with Roger just one behind. It was anyway never much talk about Lendl and 22, in recent years it was always Agassi and his 17, until he was passed by Nadal.
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #227
country flag Federer4Everer

Federer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond reputeFederer4Everer has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's fair enough to call Nadal's 21 "the record" - so good luck Roger!

As for another calendar year at #1 that was previously (I think) unimaginable. Still a big challenge for Roger for the rest of the year. USO wil lbe key in this regard. Nadal missing would seem to help Fed but it would also help Djo too wouldn't it?
Federer4Everer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #228
country flag kenneth79

kenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer4Everer View Post

As for another calendar year at #1 that was previously (I think) unimaginable. Still a big challenge for Roger for the rest of the year. USO wil lbe key in this regard. Nadal missing would seem to help Fed but it would also help Djo too wouldn't it?
Sure it would help Nole too but it surely helps Fed more due to the match-up issues he has with Nadal. He almost always finds a way to lose against Nadal while he has decent records against DjokoMuzz.

Also like Murray , Tsonga , Nalbandian
kenneth79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #229
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you check for players, that didn't participate in AO 2000 for some reason (injury, skipped)?
Nope. I just check that one tournament. There are a fair number of older players still around, but this one takes a good look at the players who were there BEFORE Federer.

Fed, for example, has never been the only player of his generation in the top 5. (Thanks to very much underrated David Ferrer).

Haas, just 5 short of 500. Ferrer only 35 away. Ferrero is still 21 away.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #230
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer4Everer View Post

Nadal missing is probably going to help one of them more than the other, the one who avoids Murray in the draw.

Djokovic playing as much as he does now will be expected to do less well towards the end of the season, though, so if USO doesn't decide things (a Murray/DelPo win) Federer should be in with a good chance. Nadal in the draw would increase chances of USO not deciding things.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #231
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Since turning 30 he suddenly wins 9 tournaments within 12 months? Not many players have even won 9 tournaments after 30 in total.
Bageling a 25 year old 'all time great' on a fast surface?
His win percentage for 2012 so far (88.9%) is even higher than that of 2007, that is ridiculous. For comparison, it is also narrowly higher than Nadal's career best.
Also ties Vilas's 56 outdoor titles, but that seems almost trivial now. Most M1000 titles, a new record non-clay M1000 as well (beyond Agassi).
300 weeks #1 or even the YE #1 seems well possible now.

Sometimes I think we will never fully comprehend how good Federer really is.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #232
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
His win percentage for 2012 so far (88.9%) is even higher than that of 2007, that is ridiculous. For comparison, it is also narrowly higher than Nadal's career best.
yes, only 7 losses so far, he has a chance to make another year with less than 10 losses, which would be the first time since 2007 (9 losses, always at least 12 losses each year since then).

Also already 3 MS1000 titles this year, holder of 4 MS1000 titles, it's the first time since 2006.

Yes, I'm really interested in the way he finishes the year, I read "let's not ask too much" but well let's take good things when they're there, he has a chance to finish this year greatly.

As NYCtennisfan said, no player has finished the year as number 1 after 30 years old since the ATP rankings were created, that's why it would be so tasty, especially 3 years after last time, tastier than whatever record Fed can achieve now.

But of course all this is less important than ... winning the US Open, which is indeed very possible, he looks very good and his opponents don't look great. He has interesting competitors but nothing impossible, that's why the period is very interesting for old Fed imo.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #233
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is. I like how Federer has been achieving many things since 2010 that he used to do almost every year for a while during his prime, but then stopped doing for several years:

win IW or MI (6 year gap)
win Aus Open (3 year gap)
win Wimbledon (3)
win Dubai (5)
win WTF (3)

the obvious missed opportunity was Halle. The US open, USO-Wim double and YE #1 would be nice additions.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #234
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #235
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it was said here but Federer got another record a few weeks ago : he had his 7th birthday as a number 1 : 2004 to 2009 (in 2008, Nadal got the number 1 later and in 2009 Fed took the number 1 earlier) and now 2012

Well, as people speak of Sampras' 6 year-ends as number 1 (in some of these years, Sampras got it in the end of the year whereas Fed got the number 1 in february 2004 and missed the one from 2003 by little)

EDIT : I also read that now Fed had the record for entering most slams with the number 1 seed, 23 times from what Litotes calculated, previous record was held by Sampras with 22

Last edited by duong : 08-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #236
country flag Apophis

Just 2 matches to go for a ninth consecutive season with 20+ match wins in Slams. His 8 consecutive seasons is already a record, Lendl has 7 (he got there mostly by winning precisely 20 matches per year).
Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #237
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Also if I recall correctly he's just two wins away from breaking Agassi's hc slams wins record.

1) Agassi 127
2) federer 126

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #238
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
Also if I recall correctly he's just two wins away from breaking Agassi's hc slams wins record.

1) Agassi 127
2) federer 126
That is correct
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #239
country flag Apophis

Federer is just 2 third-round performances away to complete a full decade of winning his first 2 matches.

Code:
Round / Fed's best / Best excluding Federer
R128    52*          56   Ferreira (Edberg 54)
R64     38*          29*  Ferrer
R32     38*          28   Lendl
R16     33*          28   Lendl
QF      33*          14   Lendl (Djokovic 13*)
SF      23           10   Lendl (Djokovic 9*)
F       10           7    Crawford
W       3            6    Budge

* = active streak
record in bold
On schedule to hold the record for each round except the most important, wins.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #240
country flag Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
That is correct
Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_World_Tour_records has such stats for the ATP Era.