Unlikeliest Famous Tennis Fans? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unlikeliest Famous Tennis Fans?

Just read an SI article about rapper Pusha T being a big tennis fan (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?sct=tn_wr_a1) - made me wonder who are some of the unlikelier fans of the sport? Guess Jay Z coming to Wimbledon, the French etc. is also not what I'd have expected. Tennis traditionally seems more like the kind of place Anna Wintour would go than a Pusha T (had to look up who he was to be honest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Evs0wwnuak).

The guy seems very much into it though and if some of his fanbase are introduced to the sport then go him!

Quote:
SI.com: When and how did you get into tennis?
Pusha T: I really think it was by accident. This is the weirdest story in the world. I started liking tennis as a kid when I was playing one of the game systems, it had to be Nintendo or something, and the game might have even come with the system. And for whatever reason I was playing it, I was like this is cool. I swear, ever since then, I've been watching tennis. Of course back then you had Agassi and you had the Agassi sneaker. You just had things [in tennis] that were related to style and fashion. There was always something associated with dope sneakers. The whole tennis look was fresh to me. And from there I got into the sport.

SI.com: Which of today's players do you enjoy watching most?
Pusha T: Nadal is my favorite player, right? But Djokovic, before this last little run, had been the most impressive player to me. At one point, and not as of late, he was playing like he was indestructible. He always seemed to have Nadal's and Federer's number. Now, I'm watching Federer steamroll over people again, and I can't believe what a second wind he's had. But with Nadal being hurt, [Djokovic] seems to be the most unstoppable one.

SI.com: Are you concerned about Nadal's career with his knee problems surfacing again?
Pusha T: What's scary about it is so far out, he announced that he wasn't going to be playing in the Open. It's obviously something serious. But as far as my favorite player, Nadal's definitely been that guy

SI.com: Are you optimistic about the future of tennis in America?
Pusha T: As far as the Americans, I feel like we could be a force. There are a lot of up-and-coming players out there. But I feel like a lot of the guys who are teetering near the top, like the [Jo-Wilfried] Tsongas of the world, they're stepping up too. I feel like those guys are coming up and they've been a little bit further than our American players.

SI.com: Time to put you on the spot. Who do you predict to win this year's Open?
Pusha T: If I had to make a prediction, I am going to predict that Djokovic is going to win.

SI.com: And for the women?
Pusha T: [Thinks.] It's got to be Serena.

SI.com: You and me both. Any closing thoughts?
Pusha T: It's a great sport. People should be way more in tune. Like people kill me on Twitter all the time, 'cause when a match is on I'll be tweeting about it, and I have a handful of followers who just go crazy and hate the fact that I love tennis.

SI.com: Why do you think that is?
Pusha T: [Laughs.] I don't know. I mean, hey, I'm a rapper, I rap about street stuff. I guess I just can't like tennis. It's just one of those things people ain't ready to take from me. It's hilarious.
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlikeliest Famous Tennis Fans?

With a name like that, he should be a Murray fan

*boomtish*
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard several celebrities be called a "big fan", but when I listen to them speak of tennis, it sounds like they know nothing. I think journalists just want big names to be associated with the sport but in reality I doubt there are many who are "big fans".
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Surely an offtopic thread. The biggest "celebrity" that can claim to be a huge fan is Gavin Rossdale, husband of Gwen Stefani. He is a huge Roger fan and has played with him quite often. You can see him fistpump after Roger #15 in 2009 in the tribute video in my sig .

I am not sure of any others.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Matthew Perry from Friends is - he was actually a junior tennis player in Canada. Guessing he must know a bit!

Sadly our PM David Cameron is quite into his tennis too - though that's not so unlikely given that tennis is still not as accessible as it could be in the UK and the PM and his circle are the types who have memberships of exclusive clubs.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
With a name like that, he should be a Murray fan

*boomtish*
Well played.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
country flag Kei_is_a_samurai
Banned!

Kei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley Cooper is a huge Fed fan Even has the RF clothing!
Kei_is_a_samurai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
country flag r2473

r2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond reputer2473 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 friends on facebook, so I'm sort of famous I guess. And I like tennis.

....OK, one of my facebook friends is a cat and the other is my mom.
r2473 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
country flag Ash86

Ben Stiller's a big Nadal fan - came to IW, followed the French Open and tweeted about it - so not just a random tournament appearance type fan. Fred Couples really into his tennis too - been to many Nadal matches at IW. Golfers being into tennis isn't that odd to me though. Footballers (soccer), Basketball players, rap stars etc. seem more odd. Beckham turns up to Wimbledon but wouldn't classify him as a fan.

Another rapper that just occurred to me - Lil Wayne - he predicted Nadal would win US Open 2010 from jail. Wrote a letter to SI from behind bars! Quite odd to read really - "the player that scares me most is Andy Murray"! http://tennis.si.com/2010/08/27/lil-...s-in-u-s-open/
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Snoop Dogg loved Lendl.

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Surely an offtopic thread. The biggest "celebrity" that can claim to be a huge fan is Gavin Rossdale, husband of Gwen Stefani. He is a huge Roger fan and has played with him quite often. You can see him fistpump after Roger #15 in 2009 in the tribute video in my sig .

I am not sure of any others.
Gwen Stefani's husband is a celebrity? How about this one:

http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Organ...on_for_tennis/
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

How about...

http://fashionista.com/2012/08/anna-wintour-tennis/

Quote:
It’s no secret that Vogue editrix Anna Wintour is a major tennis fan (especially when Roger Federer is involved), but did you know that she, herself, doesn’t just dabble in the game, but is actually very good?!

An article from the New York Times Thursday Styles section explores the link between fashion and tennis, particularly at Manhattan’s Midtown Tennis Club, where Wintour and dozens of other high-fashion folk take lessons and sign up for court time.

Anna’s private instructor, Byron Spence, commented on the EIC’s game:

“She’s like a retriever … She’s so fast. She’ll chase down everything. She doesn’t hit with a lot of spin, but she has an amazing cross-court forehand.”
Now what does that say about the way she manages Vogue? Sports psychologists, hit us up with an analysis!

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
country flag Smoke944

Smoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond reputeSmoke944 has a reputation beyond repute

Jay-Z has been a big tennis fan for a long time.
Can't Knock the Hustle [1996]:
Quote:
can a n****, see me
got the US Open, advantage jigga
serve like sampras, play fake a rappers like a campus
Smoke944 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
country flag ServeVolley
Banned!

ServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond reputeServeVolley has a reputation beyond repute

Bit random but I was just watching this clip from The Avengers blu-ray and Tom Hiddleston (the actor who plays Loki) says he's a massive tennis fan (compares acting alongside Robert Downey Jr. to playing tennis with Roger Federer).
ServeVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taejin View Post
Gwen Stefani's husband is a celebrity? How about this one:

http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Organ...on_for_tennis/
He's also a singer but I am a bit clueless with regards to music.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them

Last edited by Looner : 08-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote