If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his award?

...And the award -in terms of prize money, recognition and throphy- be given to the runner up?

And what if in ten years' time a very successful player of today's era who, say, managed to defeat in several ocassions an even bigger successful player, gets finally exposed as a long time doper, should he be stripped away from his achievements and be reasigned to his long time rival (in the cases in which that rival got beat in the final and it was certain that doping happened at the time)?

Of course this is only hypothetical and has no resemblance whatsoever to reality. I'm just curious.

Serious replies only please!

Last edited by abraxas21 : 08-25-2012 at 09:51 PM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
country flag Travod

Travod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond reputeTravod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

I think taking away the prize money that they may have already used is a bit much.
Travod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
country flag Renaud

Renaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post

Of course this is only hypothetical and has no resemblance whatsoever to reality. I'm just curious.
Of course.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
"Je peux simplement vous dire que Jean-René Lisnard aime beaucoup les Chocapics" Benjamin Balleret
Renaud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, should he be stripped off his awa

i think the ATP/ITF is too soft on these matters.

korda, a known doper, won a GS and no actions were taken in this regard, in spite of the fact that he tested positive only a few months after having won his GS!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi admitted to being a party doper and nothing happened. I know it's not exactly like the question from the op, but it's as close as it gets I guess
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
country flag tennis2tennis

tennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond reputetennis2tennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
...And the award -in terms of prize money, recognition and throphy- be given to the runner up?
It's not like cycling/athletics were you can give it to the runner-up who was officially the second best/fastest etc! In tennis the whole tournament is officially void because the cheater has distorted the outcome starting from round 1!
tennis2tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
It's not like cycling/athletics were you can give it to the runner-up who was officially the second best/fastest etc! In tennis the whole tournament is officially void because the cheater has distorted the outcome starting from round 1!
yes, that's true and it does make sense.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you can't give it to the runner-up.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
country flag Paylu2007

Paylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond reputePaylu2007 has a reputation beyond repute

I sense something hidden in this thread... but in this hypotetical case, given the importance of the situation, I dont think it would be public, since it woudl hit the sport really hard.

It would be lame if this actually happens.
Paylu2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

If a tournament winner gets exposed as a doper, I think he should loss his acievements, incl. trophies and prize money. And he should be banned at least for two years. But I don't know if runner-up should get the title, doper's SF opponent was maybe better.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis2tennis View Post
Exactly. In 1994 AO Pete Sampras won, and his hardest match was in R1. How far would his R1 opponent have gone if Pete were removed from the tournament? Impossible to say.

(This example is not an attempt to incriminate Sampras, it was the first slam tournament I could remember where the eventual winner really struggled in R1. There are undoubtedly other examples)
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's fair, no?
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, I wonder what is abraxas' agenda in the OP

Give it a rest, man. You like a certain right hander, and dislike a certain left hander.

We get it. Mods, does this thread count as a doping accusation? Thinly veiled, but anyone who knows anything knows what's going on here.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
country flag mikkemus23

mikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond reputemikkemus23 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.