Australian Open averts player boycott with increased prizemoney - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #61
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Players threaten to boycott the AO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I seriously can't stand Stakhovsky. He comes across as very, very self-serving and he tries all in his power to make as much as possible from his limited talent and appeal.
he's certainly not alone in this case, but what I appreciate about him (doesn't mean I like him, usually I don't like opportunistic guys ) is that he very publicly made clear why he wanted some things, it helped us to understand the situation.

I think this opportunistic/self-serving thinking is quite well spread among top-100 players, but from what I read in another article, in the Aus Open players' meeting, among the ones especially talking, there was a group of Russian guys (including Bogomolov and Youzhny, Tursunov as well if I remember, and I also remember Davydenko's reaction on the topic) and Stakhovsky was with them.

Last edited by duong : 08-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #62
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with the players looking for more money from the Grand Slams - they do get a small proportion of the total revenue compared to other sports.

However, I am totally against all that floating up to the top, to the end of the tournament. More money in tennis needs to be filtering down to the lower ranks to make it affordable for players to compete and so more of them can make a living out of it.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #63
country flag Radar

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they will do it!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #64
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I have no problem with the players looking for more money from the Grand Slams - they do get a small proportion of the total revenue compared to other sports.

However, I am totally against all that floating up to the top, to the end of the tournament. More money in tennis needs to be filtering down to the lower ranks to make it affordable for players to compete and so more of them can make a living out of it.
this. THIS!
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #65
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #66
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah but you don't want to see players receiving more money for losing. Not a lot more at least. I reckon there should a proportion of GS money that goes directly to futures and challengers. People say the French, British, Australian and US federation use the funds but what about other federations.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #67
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Yeah but you don't want to see players receiving more money for losing. Not a lot more at least. I reckon there should a proportion of GS money that goes directly to futures and challengers. People say the French, British, Australian and US federation use the funds but what about other federations.
I want to see players receiving enough money so that the bar is at a reasonable standard for enough players to be able to earn enough to pay their way on the tour each year.

You want a situation where there are enough players able to make a living to keep the lower ranks competitive, but to allow the talent to rise to the top on the basis of their abilities, not on the basis of their ability to get financial help to keep them going because the challengers do not pay enough for them to break even, let alone make money. It's not healthy for the sport if too many drop out because they can't afford to give themselves a decent shot at making it. If prize money distribution was geared so that, say, the top 200, 250 can break even and perhaps make a small profit after expenses from a decently full schedule, it would be better for the long term health of the sport.

Otherwise what you have is tennis continues to be a rich persons' sport - one where most of the guys who exist outside the top 100 are only able to do so because of their own private or family wealth, some sort of sponsorship, or financial assistance from the national federation. None of these are ideal.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #68
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I want to see players receiving enough money so that the bar is at a reasonable standard for enough players to be able to earn enough to pay their way on the tour each year.

You want a situation where there are enough players able to make a living to keep the lower ranks competitive, but to allow the talent to rise to the top on the basis of their abilities, not on the basis of their ability to get financial help to keep them going because the challengers do not pay enough for them to break even, let alone make money. It's not healthy for the sport if too many drop out because they can't afford to give themselves a decent shot at making it. If prize money distribution was geared so that, say, the top 200, 250 can break even and perhaps make a small profit after expenses from a decently full schedule, it would be better for the long term health of the sport.

Otherwise what you have is tennis continues to be a rich persons' sport - one where most of the guys who exist outside the top 100 are only able to do so because of their own private or family wealth, some sort of sponsorship, or financial assistance from the national federation. None of these are ideal.
Oh, I completely agree. I just don't want to see players receive too much money because they lose in the early rounds of the GSs. Ideally tournaments from below will receive more financial support from the ATP and some of that can come from the Slams.

As you said, increasing the level of challengers/futures will increase the overall level of the sport and the ATP will find it easier to find more stars.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On beating weak era players in finals of slams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #69
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

HA!

some guy from twitter would know this before the mighty MTF?

MTF- where tards know the colour of a players undergarments
this attention seeking tard should be sent infinite spam
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #70
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WoW! Players threaten to boycott the AO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRickyDD View Post
It looks like sensationalistic journalism to me. Nothing will come of this.
I don't see many facts here just a lot of guessing on the motivation of Federer.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #71
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
Won't happen.

"I talked to a few players and others involved in tennis, and it appears that Federer is now ready to support the less famous and rich player's fight against the Slams (he is still not in favour of all-out war, though), as he has now conquered all the Grand Slam records he wanted."

What a mug article.
Knew it was BS after reading that.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #72
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's ego is too big to skip a slam, even if he has a smaller chance of winning this one.

BRAVO MARINE, SAMO NAPRED MAJSTORE !!

Marin Cilic ~The Greatest Ballstriker of All Time
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #73
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
Knew it was BS after reading that.
it's probably the kind of purely opportunistic reasonings people like Stakhovsky could have, that's why I don't think it's bullshit and I thought guys like Stakhovsky were his main source.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #74
country flag GOATsol

GOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond reputeGOATsol has a reputation beyond repute

Nobama every time I see your sig I have to stare for like 10 mins

Anyway, I don't see a boycott happening.

Federer will win another grand slam.
Cilic is not a one slam wonder.
GOATsol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #75
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond reputebobbynorwich has a reputation beyond repute

It is good that the players are starting to get united to have a higher percentage of the take at ITF events as 20 percent is a joke. A bigger purse for players getting only through the earlier rounds would be more fair and help the financially struggling players continue on the tour.
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote