Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates (Their rivalry) - Page 40 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2012 year-end H2H?

Djokovic will take the lead 31 50.82%
Federer will claim his trophy 25 40.98%
They will end in a draw, for the first time 1 1.64%
I don't know. But this should be an official ATP award, it's amazing. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #586
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates (Their rivalry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Take point people. The great GSMTardal thinks anything outside of Slams does not count.
You people are awesome at taking quotes out of it's context. I expected nothing less from you.

Let's go back to rickcastle's post:

'I agree that it is a bit unfair that Federer did not have a lot of chances to "even the score" so to speak when he was at his prime because Nadal wasn't showing up on USO finals until recently but it is what it is'

I reacted to that specific statement, you guys just jump on it like the rabid tards you are without reading the entire story.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 8 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #587
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
He was just talking about the USO, though.
tripwires

Old 08-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #588
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMnadal View Post
tripwires
I accept goodreps, thanks.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #589
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

And the whole discussion was in line with which rivalry is more interesting. So, it [the discussion] did include matches outside of the USO. GSMNadal is out of his depth yet again.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #590
country flag GSMnadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
And the whole discussion was in line with which rivalry is more interesting. So, it [the discussion] did include matches outside of the USO. GSMNadal is out of his depth yet again.
Nice way to draw a bad conclusion. Rickcastle only mentioned the USO, so I just highlighted that part. You're not obliged to address everything all the time, do you?

It is however helpful to read someone's comment before making a statement, Looner. But since you almost always have an instant, one lined, incorrect insult ready after I post, I assume you don't always do that.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #591
country flag Ariadne

Ariadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
That's neither here nor there though, the fact is Federer-Nadal rivalry for me has become unexciting as a Federer fan to watch because of the way Federer has folded mentally against Nadal. I agree that it is a bit unfair that Federer did not have a lot of chances to "even the score" so to speak when he was at his prime because Nadal wasn't showing up on USO finals until recently but it is what it is. For the reason alone that both Federer and Djokovic have the self belief that they can beat the other player on their best day at any surface makes this rivalry more exciting IMO. It's not just Federer though, watching Nadal vs. anybody on clay is pretty much NID and makes for a pretty boring rivalry.
While I agree to a degree I would content that Nadal-Djokovic rivalry is the most enthralling in tennis today. Their grinding battle of attrition is actually pretty exciting. Considering Federer is now beyond his prime I really don't get excited by any of his so called next gen rivals. Despite the successful aberration of an year he has been having, he won't be able to sustain it next year -- I feel it is his last hurrah. It's almost a given that he will end of with a negative H-H against Nadal, Djokovic, Murray et al. if he persists in playing for next few years further into his decline.
Ariadne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #592
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
While I agree to a degree I would content that Nadal-Djokovic rivalry is the most enthralling in tennis today. Their grinding battle of attrition is actually pretty exciting. Considering Federer is now beyond his prime I really don't get excited by any of his so called next gen rivals. Despite the successful aberration of an year he has been having, he won't be able to sustain it next year -- I feel it is his last hurrah. It's almost a given that he will end of with a negative H-H against Nadal, Djokovic, Murray et al. if he persists in playing for next few years further into his decline.
Nadal/Djokovic was exciting the first couple of times last year, if only because it was great to finally see someone who could beat Nadal at his own game. But AO 2012, far from being an epic that it's touted to be, was a boring, one-dimensional slugfest that quite aptly represents the rivalry. A tennis match does not have to be 6 hours long to be epic; it does not have to be 6 hours long to be a good match. I personally found it really boring and I really wasn't a fan of the tennis on display.

Federer/Djokovic, on the other hand, benefits from the unpredictability mentioned by rickcastle and also the wider variety of shots that both players are able to bring to the court, though these days that tends to be Roger more than Nole. Their matches at the French and US Open last year were some of the best of the year. Conversely, some of the Nadal/Djokovic finals like Wimbledon and the US Open, I didn't find to be of particularly high quality.

As for Federer/Nadal...the less said about it, the better.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #593
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endless Djokovic/Federer Debates - Year End Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
Every era is full of chokers and players that are good enough but since the beginning of time the dominating athletes have had 2 aspects in common great Serve n forehand or great forehand.
The bh based players were always seen as chokers or inconsistent.
Gonzalez-laver- Borg-Lendl-Sampras -fed- nadull all fh based players . Some have great serves. U have to take the initiative , your options under pressure is wider as well.
Second fiddle players of the era. Rosewall/Connors/wilander/Agassi/ Hewitt/ nalby/Murray etc. their bh more reliable than fh generally.
Conditions have a lot to do with it as well. Hewitt would get destroyed but del-po on HC but Hewitt was able to beat him at Wimby why did he suddenly get good no. The surface and speed of the court played an important role.
Laver? I agree with your general point, but Laver is a pretty major exception.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #594
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Time to stop this madness about 'Nadal dodging Federer at the USO'. Federer did just as much, if not more of the dodging. But that's what you get when one guy is older and primes don't overlap. Get over it.
Have you run out of tablets? How are 6 finals the same as 2?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #595
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Time to stop this madness about 'Nadal dodging Federer at the USO'. Federer did just as much, if not more of the dodging. But that's what you get when one guy is older and primes don't overlap. Get over it.
Even if you were only talking about the US Open how can you say "Federer did just as much, if not more of the dodging.". Roger was in 6 finals in a row. Nadal 2. Roger lost 2 times in the semis as did nadal in 2008 and 2009.

I'm not seeing how Roger "dodged" more than nadal.

Also Roger made the finals of MC, ROme and RG in 2006, MC and RG in 2007, MC and RG in 2008, Madrid in 2009, Madrid in 2010, RG in 2011. He could very well have "dodged" some of these matches.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #596
country flag Ariadne

Ariadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond reputeAriadne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
Also Roger made the finals of MC, ROme and RG in 2006, MC and RG in 2007, MC and RG in 2008, Madrid in 2009, Madrid in 2010, RG in 2011. He could very well have "dodged" some of these matches.
He probably should've since had Federer been less formidable/consistent on clay, it would have made the H-H argument moot along with the psychological baggage Federer had to endure on account of all those defeats. Apparently for some Nadal tards (or anti-Fed tards for that matter), the lack of a skewed H-H would have also given Federer's status as GOAT more legitimacy.
Ariadne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #597
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

The Fedal H2H has an asterisk to it.

17 6 21 77
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #598
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
The Fedal H2H has an asterisk to it.

No asterisk.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #599
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
He probably should've since had Federer been less formidable/consistent on clay, it would have made the H-H argument moot along with the psychological baggage Federer had to endure on account of all those defeats. Apparently for some Nadal tards (or anti-Fed tards for that matter), the lack of a skewed H-H would have also given Federer's status as GOAT more legitimacy.
Exactely. Their retarded logic says that had Roger reached less finals on clay and hence not been the 2nd best player on clay from his generation it would have made hm the GOAT because the H2H would be much closer.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #600
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
No asterisk.
Yup, it's more of a star the size of the Sun.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote