Endless Federer-Nadal debates - Page 71 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How will it look?

Nadal more than 15 matches ahead. 107 40.07%
Nadal 13-14 matches ahead. 25 9.36%
Nadal 11-12 matches ahead. 19 7.12%
Nadal 9-10 matches ahead. 20 7.49%
Nadal 7-8 matches ahead. 20 7.49%
Nadal 5-6 matches ahead. 19 7.12%
Nadal 3-4 matches ahead. 5 1.87%
Nadal 1-2 matches ahead. 1 0.37%
Equal 4 1.50%
Federer ahead 47 17.60%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #1051
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmindbulgaria View Post
I agree, that Rome 2006 match could have made things much different. About the USOpen, I believe that Rafa would have lost to Fed during Fed's dominance there between 2004-2007 just like I believe Fed would have lost both USOpen'10 and USOpen'11 had he reached the final. But we'll never know
I am quite sure Fed would have lost in 2010 (Rafa was in superb form). Not sure about 2011 though (Rafa was far from his 2010 USO level). Fed didn't get the memo to convert match points in both semis so as you say we'll never know.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #1052
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Endless Federer-Nadal debates (WTF vs Olympics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
Fed needs Nadull , yes he took away some achievement , here and there but being a Great player is more than numbers.
Nadull help show Feds resilience in the face of difficulty , his superior mentality.
Fed pretty much owned the tennis world from 04-07 .
However he was destroyed by nadull in his decline from 08- jan 09 he went 5-0. He could have throw in the towel become a shadow of himself. He chose another part a path to fight till the bitter end against the younger more physically adept players in their Prime .
In short nadull prove fed is not a coward
luie
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #1053
country flag rickcastle

rickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond reputerickcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
I understand you Nadal fans are proud of his H2H against Federer, but I am sick of hearing that Fed didn't adjust his game against Rafa.
There was really no point to Federer adjusting his game to suit Nadal. It works against 99% of the tour, just not against one player. If he changed it to suit Nadal, he could have beaten Nadal but would have lost earlier in some tournaments against players that he normally wouldn't have lost to. And worse, it could have been potentially damaging to his longevity to employ a two handed backhand anyway.

As it is always said, but often ignored by crazy Nadal tards, you play the game against the tour - not against one player. Federer does not have the best record against Nadal but he has the best record ever against the entire tour. Put yourself in Federer's shoes, if you are beating everyone else but one player, if you would change your entire playing style just to suit the 1%.
rickcastle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #1054
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcastle View Post
There was really no point to Federer adjusting his game to suit Nadal. It works against 99% of the tour, just not against one player. If he changed it to suit Nadal, he could have beaten Nadal but would have lost earlier in some tournaments against players that he normally wouldn't have lost to. And worse, it could have been potentially damaging to his longevity to employ a two handed backhand anyway.

As it is always said, but often ignored by crazy Nadal tards, you play the game against the tour - not against one player. Federer does not have the best record against Nadal but he has the best record ever against the entire tour. Put yourself in Federer's shoes, if you are beating everyone else but one player, if you would change your entire playing style just to suit the 1%.
Well if you are willing to overlook the most important, ultimate tally of greatness and pretty much only relevant tennis statistic ever (the H2H vs Nadal), I guess someone could see things like you do.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #1055
country flag Kei_is_a_samurai
Banned!

Kei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer v Nadal comparison

For the first time, Roger Federer is ahead of Rafael Nadal in Slam count at the same age (12 to 11)

Interesting.
Kei_is_a_samurai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #1056
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer v Nadal comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei_is_a_samurai View Post
For the first time, Roger Federer is ahead of Rafael Nadal in Slam count at the same age (12 to 11)

Interesting.
Well, Nadal did get a hefty hear start on him, winning already at 19 years 0 months, still - credit to Nadal it took this long.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #1057
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei_is_a_samurai View Post

Interesting.
he was ahead after Nadal lost at the AO this year .I think I posted that this made all that Nadal was young and can catch up to Fed wrong
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #1058
country flag Kei_is_a_samurai
Banned!

Kei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond reputeKei_is_a_samurai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag View Post
he was ahead after Nadal lost at the AO this year .I think I posted that this made all that Nadal was young and can catch up to Fed wrong
nah I think that was 10v10
Kei_is_a_samurai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #1059
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
I am quite sure Fed would have lost in 2010 (Rafa was in superb form). Not sure about 2011 though (Rafa was far from his 2010 USO level). Fed didn't get the memo to convert match points in both semis so as you say we'll never know.
USO 2005: Nadal - Federer 30/70
USO 2006: Nadal - Federer 30/70
USO 2007: Nadal - Federer 5/95
USO 2008: Nadal - Federer 60/40
USO 2009: Nadal - Federer 25/75
USO 2010: Nadal - Federer 95/5
USO 2011: Nadal - Federer 60/40

It's how i see it.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #1060
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
USO 2005: Nadal - Federer 30/70
USO 2006: Nadal - Federer 30/70
USO 2007: Nadal - Federer 5/95
USO 2008: Nadal - Federer 60/40
USO 2009: Nadal - Federer 25/75
USO 2010: Nadal - Federer 95/5
USO 2011: Nadal - Federer 60/40

It's how i see it.
2005 & 6 is more like 5/95, while Nadal wasn't injured like in 07 his court position wouldn't have gotten anything done on those courts.

2008 Nadal wasn't moving great, the knees seemed to be bothering him by then. 35/65

2010 70/30

2011 50/50
Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #1061
country flag EliSter

EliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond reputeEliSter has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, future mod banned again?

BigJohn
EliSter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1062
country flag evilmindbulgaria
Banned!

evilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond reputeevilmindbulgaria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliSter View Post
Lol, future mod banned again?
NID
evilmindbulgaria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #1063
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer's backhand against Nadal

I was just watching their match in IW this year. As you know, this is a high bouncing surface and a lot of people were expecting Fed to lose because of his known issue of struggling to hit a backhand against Rafa's topspin FH.

Like most one-handers, it's hard for Roger to hit the ball on shoulder height with his BH, but he is forced to do so because he usually insists on hitting the ball from the baseline. I was wondering, do you think that Federer should take a step or two back before hitting this backhand? The point of hitting the ball would then be much lower. Of course this is only relevant when Nadal's shots are deep.

Check out THIS video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QRlgAbazU&NR=1

Notice the difference between this BH:
1:56

And those BHs:
9:25
9:33

The first one is kinda 'useless', but the other ones are very low and hit with a lot of pace.
If Federer can hit those backhands regulary, I think it would make his life easier. Note that against Djokovic those kinds of tactics are bound to hurt you because he takes the ball early and uses the opponent's pace, so standing outside the baseline is not recommended. But Nadal created pace himself, and after making this type of aggressive shot, he will usually return a high/short ball.

Anyway, your opinions?

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #1064
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's backhand against Nadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
And those BHs:
9:25
9:33
both of these backhands were hit right on the baseline at a low contact point, Federer always excelled at taking care of backhands that low instead of shoulder high, most surfaces and especially clay rarely allow him to be in position to hit such backhands

not to mention hitting this type of backhand requires incredible racquet head speed and therefore needs to be perfectly timed, too easy to shank these backhands if Federer isn't on top of his game on the day and found a great rhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkatik View Post
Notice the difference between this BH:
1:56
this was a DTL backhand hit on the rise, can't be hit the same way and expect it to stay in court regularly, he also can't keep hitting cross-court all the time otherwise Nadal would camp on that side, he occasionally has to change direction DTL like he did with this one

Last edited by habibko : 08-23-2012 at 03:20 AM.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #1065
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's backhand against Nadal

Olderer altered his BH over the years. It used to be a mostly flat drive that he used to go for wild winners and he used to hit amazing CC/DTL shots with it - but it led to a horrendous amount of UE's when pitted against Nadal's monstrous tospin lefty FH. These days, Olderer rarely hits BH winners, instead he has modified it into a more stable, grinding shot, designed to keep him in rallies and minimize errors. I actually applaud his ability to adapt to slower/higher bouncing courts and recognizing that his BH will never become a weapon on them - merely a solid shot that isn't a weakness.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote