S.Q.T. (stupid question thread) - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #106
country flag yesyesok

yesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

In the 1970/80s when not all top players played Australia was it still called a Grand Slam? And did top players ever talking about winning all 4 'slams'?

If not when did the usage of the term grand slam become common in tennis, and what changed that made Australia suddenly so prestigious?
yesyesok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #107
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Slam was used when Laver won his real Grand Slam I think. It was taken more as a synonym of a great achievement in tennis rather than winning those 4 tournaments. The Australian Open has always been one of the biggest but in terms of prestige I heard it's gone up substantially with the Sampras era.

Johnny Groove probably can answer this the best as well as older posters.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #108
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBkeeper View Post
I said sorry in my post ... btw ON-topic
The three of them play THREE different grips (forehand and backhand)
SO For fed The higher the ball is the harder it is ...
for nadal the lower it is the harder it is (I KNOW THEY BOTH CAN DO the respective shots but they aren't as good as the other CAUSE of the grip every grip has advantages/disadvantages)
I'm saying it cause every surface has different bounce
Thanks for the Answer .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoo View Post
wow a lot of explanations here I was wondering the same thing, now i know
So, even you had the same q in your mind. So, my silly ques has helped . I'm happy, that i'm not the only silly here! lol
mreccentric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #109
country flag Sanya

Sanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond reputeSanya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyesok View Post
In the 1970/80s when not all top players played Australia was it still called a Grand Slam? And did top players ever talking about winning all 4 'slams'?

If not when did the usage of the term grand slam become common in tennis, and what changed that made Australia suddenly so prestigious?
Australian was prestigious tournament, but well - the same can be said about some "500" current tournaments. Was it at least 4-th the most important? No, strongest players were playing Masters in that weeks and I believe it was 4-th Slam those days. I can advice you to read Mcenroe`s book.

Journlist John Kieran is widely credited with first applying the term "grand slam" to tennis, to describe the winning of all four major tennis tournaments in a calendar year almost eighty years ago. About so prestigious can`t say 100% correct, but from early 1980-s top players began participating there again. Maybe it wasn`t reason, but consequence - don`t know.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #110
country flag mreccentric

mreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond reputemreccentric has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the difference between a drop-shot and a volley? What are the other types of shots in Tennis? Really a SQ
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #111
country flag TBkeeper

TBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeTBkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
Whats the difference between a drop-shot and a volley? What are the other types of shots in Tennis? Really a SQ
Drop-shot is a shot that can be done from anywhere around the court and which it's second bounce is done before the service line |__|__| (the both lines at the bottom in this case if this is the court around the net)
Volley is the shot when you hit the ball from the air

SLAMS: 4 SEMIS, 6 QUARTERS
WTF: 1 TITLE, 1 FINAL, 1 SEMI
MASTERS: 3 TITLES, 5 SEMIS, 10 QUARTERS
TITLES: 21
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 482-329
TBkeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #112
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis#Shots

We live in the era of google...
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #113
country flag mreccentric

Were all the grandslams played on clay/grass before introducing hard courts? Not that much stupid, i think...
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #114
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyesok View Post

The Australian Open was still officially one of the four important titles in the year however players from the US and Europe didn't want to make the long trip down under so they usually skipped it. I'm not sure who talked about winning all four, at the time, but Connors almost achieved it but was banned from the French Open and, I believe, it was one of Borg's goals. Back when the Australian Open was held at the end of the year, once Borg won the French and Wimbledon, he tried for the US Open and I read somewhere if he was successful in New York he would have made the trip to Australia to try for the calendar slam.

The term 'grand slam' is winning all four majors in a year but the term has become synonymous and interchangeable with major, for some reason, I can't pinpoint the exact time.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #115
country flag Arkin

Arkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond reputeArkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
Were all the grandslams played on clay/grass before introducing hard courts? Not that much stupid, i think...
Yes, initially rg was clay and the others were all played on grass
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #116
country flag mreccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin View Post
Yes, initially rg was clay and the others were all played on grass
Weren't they capable of growing grass in RG? It looks so weird when it was played on grass in all other GS. Was it because of low sanctions/budget problem?

And was the prize money in GS always big compared to other tournaments?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #117
country flag seattletennisguy

seattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond repute

SQ: Do ball girls/boys get paid? I'm guessing no, due to labor laws and underage minors. So, what do they get?

SQ: Do tournament champions take the actual trophy home they're presented with, or are they engraved then shipped to them later?
seattletennisguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #118
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletennisguy View Post
SQ: Do ball girls/boys get paid? I'm guessing no, due to labor laws and underage minors. So, what do they get?

SQ: Do tournament champions take the actual trophy home they're presented with, or are they engraved then shipped to them later?
First Question.
Almost always no. But, in many big tournaments(at least slams) they get reimbursed for their travel(including that during the training period, if there was any), are given some free stuff/big discounts, and they get to take their uniform back with them. I think some tournaments even give them a small lunch/snack allowance.

Second Question.
Champions are presented with the actual trophy. His name would be engraved on the trophy before the presentation ceremony. The one they get to take back is a replica, generally of smaller size.

Regarding Wimbledon:

Quote:
From 1949 to 2006 all Champions received a miniature[half-size] replica of the Cup (height 8 1/2 inches). From 2007 all Champions have received a three-quarter size replica of the Cup bearing the names of all past Champions (height 13 1/2 inches).
http://aeltc2011.wimbledon.com/125th...-trophies.html

Quote:
In 2009, after more than 120 years in service, with the available space for engraving being completely filled after Rafael Nadal’s win the previous tournament, a black plinth with a silver designed to accompany the trophy as new names were added.
http://www.mapsofworld.com/pages/tro...onship-trophy/

This is for the replicas, the actual trophy still has enough space left.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #119
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this isn't a stupid question but I think it wasn't worth it creating a new thread for this.

I remember the ATP website from a few years ago before it was remade had a section with a list of the greatest champions where we had a small text describing their achievements for each player. Does anyone remember that too?

I can't seem to find this on the new website. Does anyone know where to find that information?

Thx.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #120
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletennisguy View Post

They accidentally gave Schiavone the replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote