The GOAT discussions Thread - Page 283 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should the GOAT argument be only a question of numbers?

Yes. 97 32.33%
Other factors (like competition and style of play) should be considered. 203 67.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #4231
country flag Cereal Killer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,555
Cereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond reputeCereal Killer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

He (Federer) is certainly the most successful player to ever play the game. I'm not sure if he is the best. That's pretty subjective. But if there is such a thing as the GOAT then 17 edges 5.

Last edited by Cereal Killer : 08-17-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Cereal Killer is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #4232
country flag Orka_n
Registered User
 
Orka_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16,639
Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
yes. why?

2011 and standing up to fed and nadal.
Yes, Djokovic played insane for almost a whole season and dominated the tour and his biggest rival Nadal (had a winning H2H against old federer as well but almost had two losses to him in slams to be fair).

That is a huge achievement by nole for sure. It does not however compare to winning 10+ slams, not even remotely. And the only reason you claim the opposite is because you are a massive fan of his.
__________________
Goodbye, old friend Kolya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
During this year’s United States Open, Soderling said, he was watching a match on television when his young daughter came into the room. For a moment, she watched her father watching the tennis, but then she interrupted.

“She wanted to watch Dora,” Soderling said. “So, I said, ‘O.K.’ We watched Dora.”
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #4233
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 266
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Okay, here is an article by an eminent 20th-Century philosopher who taught me in one-on-one tutorials at Oxford arguing there are no such things as facts:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~jrlucas/facts.html

The point being, not that John Lucas is necessarily right, rather that what a fact is, is itself subject to reasoned discussion, or to put it another way, a matter of opinion.

On a more basic level, the standard view is that a factual proposition is either true or false. This doesn't mean it can be proved to be true or false. For example, it is a matter of fact whether or not there is a God. It must be true that there either is a God, or there is not. But nobody can prove it.
The standard view regarding the difference between fact and opinion is taught in schools (http://www.google.com/search?q=stude...&tbm=bks&tbo=1). So, I have got proof that according to the standard view statement "Djokovic must win at least 10 slams to be in the GOAT discussion" is not a fact but an opinion.

Quote:
While this is interesting, however, it is off-topic.
No, it's not.

Last edited by 5555 : 08-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.
5555 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #4234
country flag Andy1402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 315
Andy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy1402 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
No, it's not.
Yes it is (fact). Please just answer the question if you want to.
To other posters, please stop entertaining this guy. Don't reply to him at all
__________________
A wise man once told me,
don't argue with a fool
'cause people from a distance can't tell who is who.

-Jay Z
Andy1402 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #4235
country flag grahampros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 464
grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

No, djokovic isnt even the the GOAT discussion at this point. Now if he has an amazing 4 or 5 more years coming up, perhaps. But, he's currently far from being included in the discussion. The overall record just simply isn't there yet. I expect even he would admit the same.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #4236
country flag bjurra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,715
bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

One could argue that Nole's 2011 season was the greatest of all time in terms of quality.

But it takes more than one amazing season to be the GOAT.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #4237
country flag grahampros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 464
grahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond reputegrahampros has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
One could argue that Nole's 2011 season was the greatest of all time in terms of quality.

But it takes more than one amazing season to be the GOAT.
Exactly. One great season a GOAT doesn't make. That's why he's not in the discussion yet. History doesn't tend to pay much attention to one great season. It's the overall record over the course of your career.
grahampros is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #4238
country flag Mountaindewslave
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,861
Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
One could argue that Nole's 2011 season was the greatest of all time in terms of quality.

But it takes more than one amazing season to be the GOAT.
actually if we're talking 'quality' obviously Federer had multiple more impressive tennis seasons than Djokovic's 2011.... however DJokovic did have an extremely amazing and impressive robotic consistant winning form in 2011. very advanced robot activity certainly
__________________
<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Ernest Gulbis <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #4239
country flag Moose Limb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 140
Moose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond reputeMoose Limb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post

Yes, there is. He's called Roger Federer and has 12 more slams than Djokovic. He has 3 more slams than Sampras, the guy is the best player to ever play the game. It's better if you realise that as quick as possible.
I heavily dislike Roger Federer, but your assessment is accurate. No doubt that he is the greatest this sport has ever seen and likely will ever see, at least for the foreseeable future. But come on, Novak ain't no slouch either. To take five slams, and possibly more, off of two of the greatest is no feat to brush off.
Moose Limb is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #4240
country flag Litotes
ALT-0
 
Litotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Age: 41
Posts: 34,983
Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Limb View Post
I heavily dislike Roger Federer, but your assessment is accurate. No doubt that he is the greatest this sport has ever seen and likely will ever see, at least for the foreseeable future. But come on, Novak ain't no slouch either. To take five slams, and possibly more, off of two of the greatest is no feat to brush off.
Nobody is saying Djokovic has done badly. Far from it. However, to be GOAT your career does not merely have to be excellent, it has to be better than anyone elses. On merits, Djokovic is sufficiently far away from being better than every other tennis player that ever lived to deserve to be ignored in the GOAT debate. If he does well enough in the coming years that will change. An additional 12 slams, 9 masters, 5 WTFs, 4 YE #1s and 250 weeks as #1 might be enough, if he can back it up with something Federer didn't do as well.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #4241
country flag Jverweij
Registered User
 
Jverweij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 32
Posts: 4,114
Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Novak is good. Good enough to be one of the all-time greats in a few years. But not now, not yet.
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #4242
country flag 5555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 266
5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute5555 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1402 View Post
Yes it is (fact)
No, it's not. Off-topic is a discussion that is irrelevant to the topic. It is relevant to this topic whether the statement "Djokovic must win at least 10 slams to be in the GOAT discussion" is just an opinion or a fact.
5555 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #4243
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
 
duarte_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,562
duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Still going on.....

I don't care about all the fact vs opinion discussion going on.

A person with plain common sense (something less and less people have it seems) knows that djokovic can't possibly be in the GOAT discussion..... it is common sense. The thread question is absurd as of now.

I'm not even going to throw numbers because everyone knows the major gap between djokovic's achievements and Roger's, laver's, sampras', nadal's,.....
duarte_a is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #4244
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak
 
Nole fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,509
Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Yes, he is. And you all will realise soon.
__________________

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #4245
country flag Jaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,893
Jaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond reputeJaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is djokovic qualified to be n the GOAT discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Yes, he is. And you all will realise soon.
Nonsense.

That's like saying Goffin is a GOAT contender, because he "might" win a slam. Djokovic doesn't have the CV to even apply for GOAT status, let alone win that debate.

When he's on 17 slams, or even in double figures. Then, maybe, just maybe we can think of it.
Jaz is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios