The Federer Decline Thread - Page 77 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #1141
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (Federer will drop to number 4 next year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatness View Post
The noticeable fact is that Federer didn't collect 10 slams as quickly as he did when facing his weak field of the past.
You have not said anything to support that the past mugs would fare any better in the slams against prime Novak/Nadal/Murray.

I also see the excuse of Federer declining as soon as he started losing more frequently in the slams still being used.
Looks like a bunch of deluded fans refusing to admit that the field finally got strong enough to prevent one man from winning so much compared to the usual mugs that provided little to no resistance.

Federer lost to Roddick and Haas this year. By your faulty logic, they are older and yet are managing to beat Federer now. Does that mean prime Roddick would have destroyed the current Federer in most of their matches? Of course not. Any mug can have his day.
The current field is stronger and that's a fact.
One more reply and then you're going on the ignore list.

I offered a very striking piece of evidence in favour of past mugs doing better against Nole/Rafa/Muzz than they did against prime Fed: the fact that present mugs do better against those guys than past mugs did against Fed.

Fed started losing more against the rest of the field in 2008. What part of that sentence do you not understand? A worse player is more likely to lose against worse players.

Now piss off & stop trolling.
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #1142
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread (Federer will drop to number 4 next year)

Quote:
The noticeable fact is that Federer didn't collect 10 slams as quickly as he did when facing his weak field of the past.
You have not said anything to support that the past mugs would fare any better in the slams against prime Novak/Nadal/Murray.

I also see the excuse of Federer declining as soon as he started losing more frequently in the slams still being used.
Looks like a bunch of deluded fans refusing to admit that the field finally got strong enough to prevent one man from winning so much compared to the usual mugs that provided little to no resistance.

Federer lost to Roddick and Haas this year. By your faulty logic, they are older and yet are managing to beat Federer now. Does that mean prime Roddick would have destroyed the current Federer in most of their matches? Of course not. Any mug can have his day.

Being number #1 by playing more 500 ATP or 250 is nothing impressive. Nadal could play more clay tournaments and have a much bigger tally of points to boost his rankings.

Looking at it logically, Nadal made 2 hardcourt slam finals last year and 2 masters slam finals on hardcourts. Meaning if not for Novak, Rafa would probably have 2 USO and 2 AO titles right now along with Miami/IW titles. You can't belittle the player that has owned Fed in slams for 5 years straight because it makes Fed look even more pathetic.
No body is belittling nadull . He did what he was supposed to do beat fed on conditions that favor him that's not up for debate. I agree nadull maintained the status quo.
My point is he was through out his career a practical No- show on conditions that favor fed. For one reason or the other other.
My second point the that nadull is still in his Prime but reverting back to his old clay court self . Yes he lost to Novak but he also lost to ferrer n rosol , so he is inconsistent .
There are on average 20 tourneys a year he lost to Novak 7 times won on clay like 7 times . So who beat him for the balance of tourney. Yes u guess it Mugd young n old.
For 2 years that's like 35-40 tournys

THE GREAT TACTICAL RIVALRY OF THE OPEN ERA
FEDERER 10 VS TONI NADAL 20
ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
RAPHEAL NADULL,A PRETTY FACE & MUSCLE
NOTHING MORE

Fed 2 nadull 13 fed is nadull CLAY TURKEY. THE REAL ERA 2003-2010.
luie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #1143
country flag manadrainer

manadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond reputemanadrainer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post

I offered a very striking piece of evidence in favour of past mugs doing better against Nole/Rafa/Muzz than they did against prime Fed: the fact that present mugs do better against those guys than past mugs did against Fed.

Fed started losing more against the rest of the field in 2008. What part of that sentence do you not understand? A worse player is more likely to lose against worse players.

This.

In 2008 Fed lost to Nadal/Djokovic at Slams, but he also lost to mugs pretty much everywhere. This is why we consider the decline starting in 2008. Losing to Nadal was expected (ok, maybe not at wimblodon but it was a tight 5-setter during Nadal absolute peak). Fed losing to mugs he dominated though makes 2008 the year the decline started.

Once upon a time there was a myth about strong and weak eras. On this glorious day the clownery was eventually unmasked: 30 y.o. past-prime daddy Fed became #1 once again in the supposed strong "Spartan" era with his rivals at their peak.
And they all lived happily ever after.
Long live King Federer!

17 Grand Slam titles
7 Wimbledon titles
302 weeks at #1
Legend
manadrainer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #1144
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Greatness playing the IF game if wasn't for Novak . Nadull won have 3 more slams is the argument.
If not for fed Roddick would have 5 slams.
What does that prove nothing. Nadull still hasn't win a title of clay even a 250/500 in MORE than 2 years.

ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
NOTHING MORE

Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #1145
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Being number #1 by playing more 500 ATP or 250 is nothing impressive. Nadal could play more clay tournaments and have a much bigger tally of points to boost his rankings.

Looking at it logically, Nadal made 2 hardcourt slam finals last year and 2 masters finals on hardcourts. Meaning if not for Novak, Rafa would probably have 2 USO and 2 AO titles right now along with Miami/IW titles. You can't belittle the player that has owned Fed in slams for 5 years straight because it makes Fed look even more pathetic.
This guy is like SdG but with better grammar.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #1146
country flag Greatness

Greatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post

So your only stance is that Fed started losing only when he declined, which is typical fanboy banter to hide the fact that he was outplayed due to a stronger field.

Also, those mugs you speak of have beaten Federer even though they're older now. Once again, does that mean at their best they're better than the current Federer? If you can admit that prime Roddick/Bag/Gonzo would destroy the current Federer then you would have some semblance of a point, otherwise, dancing on pointless indications that current top players lose to mugs isn't making a case for you at all. All the past greats lost to mugs, that's a fact.

Now GTFO and dwell on your limited perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luie View Post
No body is belittling nadull . He did what he was supposed to do beat fed on conditions that favor him that's not up for debate. I agree nadull maintained the status quo.
My point is he was through out his career a practical No- show on conditions that favor fed. For one reason or the other other.
My second point the that nadull is still in his Prime but reverting back to his old clay court self . Yes he lost to Novak but he also lost to ferrer n rosol , so he is inconsistent .
There are on average 20 tourneys a year he lost to Novak 7 times won on clay like 7 times . So who beat him for the balance of tourney. Yes u guess it Mugd young n old.
For 2 years that's like 35-40 tournys
You are belittling him by saying "conditions that favor him". Grass doesn't favor Federer? Fed has 7 Wimbledons and 5 AO and you want to ignore that and pretend that conditions only favored Rafa on those surfaces? Nonsense.

Careers evolve and change. 18 year old Rafa beat prime Federer at Miami 2004 and 20 year old Rafa beat him in Dubai 2006 when he was still a mug on hardcourts. Prime Fed lost twice to a clay courter on hardcourts. Let me guess, the conditions didn't favor Federer back then too? GTFO.
Greatness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #1147
country flag nastoff
LIFETIME MUG

nastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond reputenastoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manadrainer View Post
This.

In 2008 Fed lost to Nadal/Djokovic at Slams, but he also lost to mugs pretty much everywhere. This is why we consider the decline starting in 2008. Losing to Nadal was expected (ok, maybe not at wimblodon but it was a tight 5-setter during Nadal absolute peak). Fed losing to mugs he dominated though makes 2008 the year the decline started.
The beginning of the decline was 2007 and his back-to-back loses to Canas.
nastoff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #1148
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fed is always declining even though in his prime he lost to mugs.
In his prime Federer lost to only three players in the slams: Nadal, Safin and Kuerten. He only lost once outside clay.

That comes back to the point about Federer not being tested. If no one could challenge him, then we can't determine what his limits actually were.

Even if we agree the era was weak, it doesn't settle anything at all.

Quote:
His achievements are severely tarnished by his constant failures against Rafa in the slams, which clearly proves that one man alone can easily dominate a weak field since Rafa dominated Federer who was collecting slams easily against mugs in the previous years.
Federer always struggled against Nadal (on slow surfaces anyway), even when he was dominating everyone else, and even when Nadal himself couldn't dominate the rest of the field.

That suggests his problem is with Nadal in particular. One player is not a field.

Quote:
So your only stance is that Fed started losing only when he declined, which is typical fanboy banter to hide the fact that he was outplayed due to a stronger field.
The point is that the players he started losing to belonged to the weaker era he previously dominated! Eg. Rodick, Fish, Stepanek, Karlovic, Blake.

Last edited by Singularity : 08-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #1149
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
This guy is like SdG but with better grammar.
Yup, I think you've just about hit the mark. If I had time to waste, I'd certainly read his posts. Seeing as I don't, I won't.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #1150
country flag chenx15

chenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond repute

Greatness Peaking at the right time! got to hand it to him. he is definitely crushing the all time greats of MTF. Weak era this new batch of MTFs
Fed ... don't F this up. You got the break. Just finish this. I got work tomorrow, I got kids... wife needs affection. Give me a break man.
chenx15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1151
country flag Greatness

Greatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond reputeGreatness has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
In his prime Federer lost to only three players in the slams: Nadal, Safin and Kuerten. He only lost once outside clay.

That comes back to the point about Federer not being tested. If no one could challenge him, then we can't determine what his limits actually were.

Even if we agree the era was weak, it doesn't settle anything at all.

Federer always struggled against Nadal (on slow surfaces anyway), even when he was dominating everyone else, and even when Nadal himself couldn't dominate the rest of the field.

That suggests his problem is with Nadal in particular. One player is not a field.

If nobody could challenge him except a teenage clay courter then we know he was facing mugs most of the time. The record in slams of those mugs Federer was dominating also says a lot of how inconsistent they were in general.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1152
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously man, just give it up.

Let's imagine you could somehow prove Federer played in a weak era. You won't, but for argument's sake let's say you did. What exactly would that prove?

Nothing. It's not like Federer can be blamed for the supposed shortcomings of his opponents. You have to beat whoever is in front of you and that's what Federer did in his prime and what he's doing even now at 30+. Stop trying to discredit his achievements, no one reasonable will buy into that nonsense.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1153
country flag Singularity

Singularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond reputeSingularity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If nobody could challenge him except a teenage clay courter then we know he was facing mugs most of the time. The record in slams of those mugs Federer was dominating also says a lot of how inconsistent they were in general.
You're missing the point. Lets agree with you that they were mugs. What does that prove about Federer's level? Nothing.

To repeat again:

If no one could challenge Federer, then we can't determine what his limits actually were.
Singularity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #1154
country flag Greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Seriously man, just give it up.

Let's imagine you could somehow prove Federer played in a weak era. You won't, but for argument's sake let's say you did. What exactly would that prove?

Nothing. It's not like Federer can be blamed for the supposed shortcomings of his opponents. You have to beat whoever is in front of you and that's what Federer did in his prime and what he's doing even now at 30+. Stop trying to discredit his achievements, no one reasonable will buy into that nonsense.
There is nothing to give up here. I'm only making a simple point about the merit of success and how a weak field helped Federer look a lot better than he actually is. Whether or not I stop posting or replying to the simpleton Fed fanboys doesn't mean I would give up, it would only mean I've had enough fun reading their silly excuses.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #1155
country flag luie

Quote:

Also, those mugs you speak of have beaten Federer even though they're older now. Once again, does that mean at their best they're better than the current Federer? If you can admit that prime Roddick/Bag/Gonzo would destroy the current Federer then you would have some semblance of a point, otherwise, dancing on pointless indications that current top players lose to mugs isn't making a case for you at all. All the past greats lost to mugs, that's a fact.

Now GTFO and dwell on your limited perspective.

You are belittling him by saying "conditions that favor him". Grass doesn't favor Federer? Fed has 7 Wimbledons and 5 AO and you want to ignore that and pretend that conditions only favored Rafa on those surfaces? Nonsense.

Careers evolve and change. 18 year old Rafa beat prime Federer at Miami 2004 and 20 year old Rafa beat him in Dubai 2006 when he was still a mug on hardcourts. Prime Fed lost twice to a clay courter on hardcourts. Let me guess, the conditions didn't favor Federer back then too? GTFO.
I am just stating facts . Nadull predominantly wins when conditions favor him . Clay and slow bouncing HC. Is that to say . He can't beat fed on a favorable surface NO of course not. He could beat fed anywhere any time but generally does it on conditions that aid his retrieving and top spin .
Yes fed has won 4 AO . But they changed the surface from rebound ace before 2009. When fed had won 3/4 at the AO. The current surface is slower and higher bouncing favoring nadull and grinders. There is a reason grinders do good at the AO as well it HOT. So something skill takes a back seat to raw physicality.
So teenage nadull beat Prime fed so what? Old fed beat Prime nadull at IW on Nadulls best HC masters. Fed also beat nadull on clay in BO3. Fed also had match points against nadull at Rome in a best of 5 on clay before he choked the match away.
All time greats can compete against the best and win and vice versa. Fed is still 2-1 against nadull on Grass.
My point still stand nadull is a No-show on Feds "tour" conditions favor him.
From 2005- till present post RG they is like 6/7 compulsory tourneys.
Nadull was a GS champion in 2005 there have been like 50 + tournies played from 2005-2012.
Of that nadull has made a finals appearance and waited on fed who didn't show like 6/7 in like 8 years.
Notable Wimby 10/11 USO 10/11.
Madrid 05. Paris 07. Rogers cup 08. OG 08.
However while fed didn't play all these finals to wait for nadull he was at the business end of most with nadull not showing.
Of the 16 slams in that Period nadull was at 4 without fed.
It's a few give and take get the picture.
Now compare that to the first 2 slams of the year fed only missed RG 10 n 12. U see the disparity.
So even when fed is not at 100% he competes the same cant be said about nadull. When not at 100% he withdraws or loses early.
Nadull still is in decline whatever u say with 2 years with no title off clay u can dodge facts all you want, it remains the same.

ADVANTAGE TONI NADAL
NOTHING MORE