United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assange - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assan

1.10 odds on a coup in Ecuador.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Kingdom threatens to storm Ecuador embassy in order to arrest Julian Assan

CIA is already mobilising sleeper agents.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I've watched too many Jason Bourne films.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
A slightly calmer reading of the situation.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...ssy-be-stormed
You chose to point out the reality of the situation, which was available from the start. For my own amusement I chose to let some people rant and rave and be the useful idiots of Ecuador.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
You chose to point out the reality of the situation, which was available from the start. For my own amusement I chose to let some people rant and rave and be the useful idiots of Ecuador.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Say what you want about Federer playing Baghdatis and Gonzo in AO finals... But at least he won them
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Quote:
The problem here remains that the motivation of Sweden is still not clear.

Assange has offered to be interviewed in the UK by Swedish prosecutors, or to go to Sweden if he is guaranteed that he will not be extradited to the USA on espionage charges from Sweden.

Sweden has refused both of these options.

This certainly gives comfort to those suggesting there are bigger things in play here than a sexual assault allegation or two.

I think it's unfortunate that these serious allegations are being lost in the wider bunfight of conspiracy theorists - the "they're politically motivated charges to get him to the USA to be tortured" vs the "he's using the USA extradition stuff as fear tactics to evade responsibility for his crimes against these two women".
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

So, shouldn't the bitterness all be directed towards Sweden? Britain can't be blamed for following its treaty obligations to Sweden.

Ecuador granting asylum to Assange is a non-issue. Unless the person is in Ecuador, it means nothing. I marvel at the naivety of some posters here who apparently think that by granting asylum it is preponderant on the British government to allow him to leave Britain. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if any old country could grant asylum to anybody anywhere in the world and that person must then be released?

And, as I understand it, Sweden would not hand over a person to a country that might charge him with a capital offence. So he would not be extradited from Sweden to face espionage charges in the US. This is just another piece of propaganda.

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-16-2012 at 03:06 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

The "bitterness" is that the UK has, in diplomatic language, suggested it could revoke the Ecuador embassy's status in order to enter the premises and fulfil the arrest warrant. This is not the oh-so-dramatic "storming the embassy" rhetoric that was put out, and any such intention would be legally challenged and end up in lengthy litigation as the UK's 1987 act went up against relevant international law.

However it does represent an escalation of the situation, and one which could see the sanctity of diplomatic missions in troublespots around the world put under increasing threat. It would be a very dangerous move on the UK's part to try and enforce extradition in this manner.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
The "bitterness" is that the UK has, in diplomatic language, suggested it could revoke the Ecuador embassy's status in order to enter the premises and fulfil the arrest warrant. This is not the oh-so-dramatic "storming the embassy" rhetoric that was put out, and any such intention would be legally challenged and end up in lengthy litigation as the UK's 1987 act went up against relevant international law.

However it does represent an escalation of the situation, and one which could see the sanctity of diplomatic missions in troublespots around the world put under increasing threat. It would be a very dangerous move on the UK's part to try and enforce extradition in this manner.
It is only the Ecuadorans who have claimed that Britain has threatened to storm the embassy and ''savagely beat'' the people inside. And of course they haven't, but a lot of people seem to want to believe this.

I read the conditions that Ecuador agreed to, and Britain has the right to revoke the status of the embassy, in the event that the building is used for other than consular business. It is not something made for Ecuador, it is normal procedure. If the embassy status was revoked, then it would not be extradition.

BREAKING NEWS: Brits just released a statement that they are committed to a negotiated settlement. How disappointing for the rabble.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Quote:
It is only the Ecuadorans who have claimed that Britain has threatened to storm the embassy and ''savagely beat'' the people inside. And of course they haven't, but a lot of people seem to want to believe this.

I read the conditions that Ecuador agreed to, and Britain has the right to revoke the status of the embassy, in the event that the building is used for other than consular business. It is not something made for Ecuador, it is normal procedure. If the embassy status was revoked, then it would not be extradition.

BREAKING NEWS: Brits just released a statement that they are committed to a negotiated settlement. How disappointing for the rabble.
Yes, we have the right to revoke the status of the embassy. That doesn't mean that is is a consequence-free action, if it is done for what to many people appear to be nakedly political reasons. It weakens the sanctity of embassies in general - nothing to stop other countries from following our lead and compromising the ability of embassies to do their jobs in difficult situations and circumstances. That risk all seems a bit of a high price to pay for the seizure of one man who hasn't even been charged with anything yet - when there are clear alternatives available that Sweden has apparently refused to explore.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Your beloved USA won't get him. Aww.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Your beloved USA won't get him. Aww.
I would much rather have him drive the Ecuadoran embassy staff crazy over the next 20 years with his narcissistic ways. Maybe there could be a reality show televised from inside the embassy called "Big Bother.''
Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Lol. UK still behaving like it's 19th century.

Yes, idiot. You'll tell us how things went on in the 19th century.

This is the 21st century. And typical of it. Denouncement and penalism everywhere. Satanism at its finest.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Hell yeah! It's all Satan's fault! Run everybody!

Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #30
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would much rather have him drive the Ecuadoran embassy staff crazy over the next 20 years with his narcissistic ways. Maybe there could be a reality show televised from inside the embassy called "Big Bother.''
I honestly advise you to go to your doctor and tell him about this worrying obsession with puns you have.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote