Most memorable sports moments ever!!! - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #61
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most memorable sports moments ever!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollin Stone View Post
^The goalie change was the thing that won the match for Sweden IIRC.
That was on of the factors, but there is really no excuse for the collapse that team had after going 5-1 up and having Sweden completely out of sorts. Hard to understand and hard to accept.

17 6 21 77
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #62
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Gerry Armstrong runs through Spanish defence, then scores as Northern Ireland beat Spain in Spain, World Cup 1982, and win group.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #63
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

hard to narrow it down but i think i'm gonna go with kiefer/schüttler losing the olympics final in 04. rollercoaster match, tons of ups and downs, last-minute heartbreak. just when you thought they got it done the chileans stepped it up, again and again. with sports normally i feel more anger than sadness whenever my team/player loses, that was one of the rare moments where i was actually sad. both looked absolutely devastated.

also federer winning the french open, that one swimming relay where lezak beat the living crap out of the frenchman and germany winning the handball world cup 07 (mainly because i watched two games live). i don't get carried away by football that much, probably because it's on 24/7, kinda tiresome.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #64
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Gerry Armstrong runs through Spanish defence, then scores as Northern Ireland beat Spain in Spain, World Cup 1982, and win group.
remember 2006 when the Northern Irish beat England and hammered Spain
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
remember 2006 when the Northern Irish beat England and hammered Spain
Personally, I remember 1982 better because I was living in the Dominican Republic, before domestic cable TV, and watched the match in a large ballroom in the largest hotel in Santo Domingo. I was the only Irishman among hundreds of Spaniards.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #66
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Armstrong was doped anyway.
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #67
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

He was in Spain. How could they tell?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #68
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so maybe he wasn't doped.

But he never scored that goal. It was all staged by NASA.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #69
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Well, maybe, I definitely was over the moon.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #70
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have a question for you.

Is it true that the NI football team is for all intents and purposes a protestant loyalist team? I heard of a NI catholic player who opted to play for the south and said catholics aren't comfortable playing for the north, and I wonder if this is widespread and whether there are Catholic players in the NI team.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #71
country flag Trollin Stone

Trollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
That was on of the factors, but there is really no excuse for the collapse that team had after going 5-1 up and having Sweden completely out of sorts. Hard to understand and hard to accept.
Sure. OTOH Finland has had always big problems with Sweden (maybe mental aspect, the same like Slovakia against Czech republic). I was actually surprised then when they were leading 5-1 against them.

Last edited by Trollin Stone : 08-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Trollin Stone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #72
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
I have a question for you.

Is it true that the NI football team is for all intents and purposes a protestant loyalist team? I heard of a NI catholic player who opted to play for the south and said catholics aren't comfortable playing for the north, and I wonder if this is widespread and whether there are Catholic players in the NI team.
I really don't know, not having lived there for 46 years. Something I would never think about, but I would not be surprised if that was the case some years ago.I would have hoped it no longer matters.

As for opting to play for the south, I think that any NI player who could get on the Irish team would jump at the chance. There would be a much better opportunity to get into a major competition. I think somebody got death threats a short while ago for opting for the south, but have no idea what religion he practiced.

There is not much on the internet, but I read one quote that said Catholics have always played for NI, the problem was the supporters who were almost exclusively Protestant. But there seems to have been major progress there, with NI fans now being recognized as among the best in Europe.
You may not be aware that in NI Catholics are much more interested in Gaelic games than in football. And I am sure it has changed now, but when I lived in NI, anyone who played Gaelic games was forbidden to attend non-Gaelic sports events, such as football matches. So it is not surprising that until recently, NI football fans were almost exclusively Protestant. And hardly surprising that NI Catholics that were not influenced by the Gaelic Associations chose to support the Irish Republic team.

Ideally, of course, there would be one Irish team, as in rugby, where religion has never been a factor. But a possible merger of the Irish and Northern Irish Fooball Associations into one body, is way, way over the horizon.

Last edited by buddyholly : 08-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #73
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I really don't know, not having lived there for 46 years. Something I would never think about, but I would not be surprised if that was the case some years ago.I would have hoped it no longer matters.

As for opting to play for the south, I think that any NI player who could get on the Irish team would jump at the chance. There would be a much better opportunity to get into a major competition. I think somebody got death threats a short while ago for opting for the south, but have no idea what religion he practiced.

There is not much on the internet, but I read one quote that said Catholics have always played for NI, the problem was the supporters who were almost exclusively Protestant. But there seems to have been major progress there, with NI fans now being recognized as among the best in Europe.
You may not be aware that in NI Catholics are much more interested in Gaelic games than in football. And I am sure it has changed now, but when I lived in NI, anyone who played Gaelic games was forbidden to attend non-Gaelic sports events, such as football matches. So it is not surprising that until recently, NI football fans were almost exclusively Protestant. And hardly surprising that NI Catholics that were not influenced by the Gaelic Associations chose to support the Irish Republic team.

Ideally, of course, there would be one Irish team, as in rugby, where religion has never been a factor. But a possible merger of the Irish and Northern Irish Fooball Associations into one body, is way, way over the horizon.
Interesting, thanks.

I didn't know Gaelic sports were popular among Catholics in NI.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #74
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
great find Burrow, Herman Munster's famous comebacks

video also had Rod famous brat rant at Jorge diaz
Cracking up at that. I knew he looked like someone.

Mantilla winning Rome in 2003.

Verkerk's run to the final of Roland Garros in 2003.

Safin reaching the final of the 2004 Australian Open. My sleeping pattern was ruined.

Youzhny's comeback against Mathieu in the 2002 Davis Cup final.

The crowd going crazy during Grosjean/Nadal Roland Garros 2005.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #75
country flag Trollin Stone

Trollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Cracking up at that. I knew he looked like someone.

Mantilla winning Rome in 2003.

Verkerk's run to the final of Roland Garros in 2003.

Safin reaching the final of the 2004 Australian Open. My sleeping pattern was ruined.

Youzhny's comeback against Mathieu in the 2002 Davis Cup final.
Awesome moments. Also Carretero fairy-tale run in Hamburg and Draper-Tieleman final at Queens with such a great field.

Last edited by Trollin Stone : 08-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Trollin Stone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote