A new way of moderation - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute
Default A new way of moderation

Most posters who enjoy pure tennis discussion are very put off by the numerous posters who seem to take pleasure in negative commenting, whether it is player hate, poster hate, insults, baiting, trolling, wishing injury or death, personal attacts, discriminatory remarks, etc.

It is so pervasive, that people like myself have considered not returning to this site. Of course it is an option, but there are many people whom with we enjoy discussions, so it seems a shame to be deterred by the bad apples. And I for one refuse to be forced out by such. One should be able to have discussion where one can agree or disagree without the garbage.

So here is my suggestion, some of which may have been suggested before, but maybe not in quite this way.

Since it seems as if some posters need an outlet to be negative, have a "hell" sub-forum for hate, insults, trolling, baiting, attacks, etc. where almost anything goes (except something illegal*). Any and every post or thread made elsewhere that has content that breaks the rules gets moved to that forum. A poster gets one warning if posting inappropriate posts or threads elsewhere than the "hell" sub-forum. After that, the poster gets banned from everywhere except "hell" (if that can be done via the software) for 1 month each and every time they post inappropriate posts/threads elsewhere. That's it. I think 1 month is severe enough for a person to think about what they do next time, but not so severe that a person who made a mistake will be gone for long. I think very soon posters will learn where they can post garbage without a problem.

* illegal posts get deleted and the poster faces whatever ban is deemed appropriate. I would start it at min. 1 yr. or more.

No permanent bans for legal but obnoxious posts, no complicated counting, no distinction on the violation type except whether it is illegal or not. The only decision to be made by moderators/admins is whether a post anyplace other than the "hell" forum broke the rules or not. If it did, then they just move it to "hell" and apply the 1 time warning or 1 month ban. I think over time, there will be less and less need to moderate in GM and elsewhere as people realize where they can hate freely, and sensible posters everywhere else can enjoy positive discussion.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new way of moderation

These trolls want their posts to be read though, and if there was a 'hell' sub forum, nobody would read them, so they wouldn't do it. They'd continue to troll the main parts of the site.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

I think mods should bring Clay Death back to show us how to make peaceful on topic posts
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Just put the trolls on ignore. Problem solved.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Just put the trolls on ignore. Problem solved.
This - and/or grow a thick skin and finally learn to laugh about the ridiculous rubbish being posted all the time on MTF.
From personal experience I know it's not easy, but sometime one should be able to manage.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

very good suggestion, masterclass

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
These trolls want their posts to be read though, and if there was a 'hell' sub forum, nobody would read them, so they wouldn't do it. They'd continue to troll the main parts of the site.
sadly he is right.
they like the center stage and wont give up on it, they want to troll when everyone are reading
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

I think this idea had already been brought up in the past. But what I can't understand is why some posters seem to not want to use "ignore". It is a great function to have, but no they would rather get in fights and get people banned

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? You want all this to transpire when one could easily just ignore those posters by literally using the ignore feature?

If you care -> ignore
If you don't -> don't ignore

Not sure how much more simple this could be.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

I think the ignore function is wrong in many ways.
It doesn't solve the problem.
Why should I have to do anything? I'm not at fault or in the wrong.
The people that are at fault are the ones breaking the rules.
Their rule-breaking posts shouldn't exist, or should be in some cesspool forum.
"Ignore" is an easy way out, that is too broad-brushed.
If 20% of their posts are rule-breaking, maybe 80% are not.
Those 20% shouldn't be in my way or in my sight, but maybe some of the other 80% are worth reading. Some of the people that occasionally break the rules can also be humorous.
Furthermore, a quoted post by an ignored user still appears from what I understand.

The ignore solves almost nothing, except burying one's head in the sand.
I simply don't think it's worth much of anything.
The problem needs to be solved, not ignored.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post
Those 20% shouldn't be in my way or in my sight, but maybe some of the other 80% are worth reading. Some of the people that occasionally break the rules can also be humorous.
Furthermore, a quoted post by an ignored user still appears from what I understand.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Oh gosh, high class citizen right here.. Hey, have you ever experienced this thing called "life"? Because seriously, you can't escape people you consider assholes or those that say stuff you don't want to hear, yet you think MTF is supposed to be different from "life"..? I also find your post to be quite ironic, considering your stance with Clay Girl. You want his ban to be rescinded, yet you just said that rule-breaking posts shouldn't exist, but I wonder how he got permabanned.

Fact is, your idea is utterly ridiculous. What makes you think creating a subforum to allow users to "vent their trollation" would cause trolls, retards, etc to vanish from GM? I mean seriously, are you that oblivious? There is no way to "solve" this, you can only ignore people/posts you dislike (there will always be new posters to "piss you off" mind you) or just let it be. Clearly the mods do their job by issuing out infractions, temp bans and bans to posters who actually deserve them. If these "bad posters" aren't getting them (which frankly you can't even tell if they are getting warnings/infractions to begin with so don't assume shit) then they are either lucky or their posts actually aren't that bad and you are just overreacting for no reason. Seriously, this is a waste of time and extremely foolish to think otherwise.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post

Respectfully,
masterclass
Sorry masterclass you know I have only the greatest respect for you, but if the ignore function is "burying one's head in the sand" I would rather do that than become involved in fights, etc. And since there are only two posters on my ignore list I don't think my head is buried too deeply in the sand as to not know what is going on at MTF. And actually you don't even have to put a poster on your ignore list you can just ignore them!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
That's true. The recently re-opened "roasting threads" divert less than 10 per cent of the nasty gloating from the match threads.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
That's true. The recently re-opened "roasting threads" divert less than 10 per cent of the nasty gloating from the match threads.
The damage was already done. It was a stupid decision to start with to give-in to terrorism and lock them for so long.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Why would "roasting threads" be reopened? I thought once a thread was closed it was closed! So you think it was done to divert nasty gloating from the match threads? That won't help anything IMHO.