Will tennis will be amazing in the next 2-3 years or what? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
country flag fsoica

fsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond reputefsoica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will tennis will be amazing in the next 2-3 years or what?

I think that this Olympic Games brought tennis to a wonderful point. I am still in a little bit of pain after Fed's close-to-humiliation defeat (although there's no hammering or humiliation in losing a final to a younger and better opponent after a grueling SF), but I think that the near future will hold a lot of big battles.

We have Delpo and Muzza closer than ever to the top 3, game-wise, and I think this Olympics gave them the confidence needed to challenge the first 3 places of the ATP rankings.

A new era will start, an era which will bring us a lot of historic duels. None of the top 3 will face, from now on, Muzza or Delpo with a sure-winner mentality.

I think this Olympic Games are the best thing that could have happened to male tennis right now. What's your opinion about the near future?

ROGER FEDERER: No, Roger Federer doesn't pull out. Otherwise he doesn't walk on court (smiling).

After losing to Nalbandian in 2005 TMC final...
fsoica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
country flag LastRocket

LastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond reputeLastRocket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will tennis will be amazing in the next 2-3 years or what?

Best years are behind us.
Nadal lost his motivation, Fed older, Djoker will get bored.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
country flag shiaben

shiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond reputeshiaben has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I agree. Potro and Murray got medals and this will further their confidence entering the slams. Especially Murray whose a lot more better prepared than Potro, Tsonaga, etc. to win slams.
shiaben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

great top 4
del po maybe back
lets see how it goes
Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
country flag Bobby

Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

I must disagree. Murray winning was great and Delpo regaining his form his also good. However, we have no next generation challenging the old guns and that's what we really need. Instead we have Tommy Haas who seems to be playing like a 25 year old. Now, I like Tommy a lot. He's one of my favourite players. But at his age and with all the injuries, his results reveal the current state of the game.

Singles Rank: 202
2007: QF Forest Hills CH, Turin CH, Scheveningen CH

Doubles Rank: 189
2007: W Turin CH (w/Dougie), F Scheveningen CH (w/Dougie)
Bobby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Top 3 in decline, Murray rising to the occasion and Delpo/Tsonga/Berdych also in to challenge the established order.

It could be an exciting few years in 2013-2014 where tennis becomes truly compeitive even if no one will be able to play that unbelivably high level of tennis we have seen from Djokovic/Federer/Nadal (maybe Murray).

Then the dark age will come sometime around 2015+ when this whole generation will be in serious decline with nothing to replace it.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see them actually do it. Otherwise I fully agree. I've been waiting for this for far too long. Let's see RN face some proper opposition on HCs for once.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
country flag rinnegan

rinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond reputerinnegan has a reputation beyond repute

They will only be amazing if we see a Nole-Djole duopoly.
Grigor Dimitrov • Ernests Gulbis
Andre Agassi • Mario Ancic • Marat Safin

Thank you for everything, Sir Alex Ferguson!
rinnegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Murray making strides and Del Potro continuing his comeback are definitely great news for the sport, no doubt about that. But let's see how it will unfold.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

More like a dark age. If Murray wins a slam I just might stop watching altogether.

Federer's peak is supposedly in 2004-2007, but his best grass match was WI 2009 final, his best hard court match was WTF 2010 final, and his best clay match was RG 2011 SF

34 year old Agassi took peak Federer to 5 sets at U.S Open but any problem cannot be found? GOAT argument
20 y.o. Djokovic straight setted prime Federer at Aus. Open but any problem cannot be found? GOAT argument
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
More like a dark age. If Murray wins a slam I just might stop watching altogether.
Yeah but you're one of these people who started watching tennis just cause of Nole. If we get rid of the likes of you, then tennis WILL be making great strides.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
country flag yesyesok

yesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond repute

I think a new generation will establish themselves quite quickly in the next few years.

The guys are there, Dmitrov, Tomic, Goffina and a few others but because they lose a lot of matches they shouldn't people jump on them heavily.

I believe a future GOAT once got bagelled by Vincent Spadea.
yesyesok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyesok View Post
I believe a future GOAT once got bagelled by Vincent Spadea.
At 17 that was, not at 21-22 (Dmitrov, Raonic, Goffin's age), at that age he was busy winning Wimbledon.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
country flag yesyesok

yesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond reputeyesyesok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
At 17 that was, not at 21-22 (Dmitrov, Raonic, Goffin's age), at that age he was busy winning Wimbledon.
So none of them will be Federer or Nadal, but that's not a reason to write them off.

I keep the faith they'll be a decent generation coming through, maybe only because the thought of Djokovic v Nadal for another 7 years makes me want to stop watching tennis.
yesyesok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

This is great for the game.

It is too boring when it is 1 guy, or even 2 or 3 guys monopolizing all the slams and big events. Now we have Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Delpo, Berdych, 7 legit slam contenders.

Golden age, I say, regardless of who you root for. More guys challenging for the biggest prizes is GOOD for the game.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote