Discuss YOUR tennis - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discuss YOUR tennis

I lost 6-1 6-1 in the first round ! Terrible lol. Gotta get a better hold of my nerves when playing !
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I play a couple of times a week usually. I'm not good enough to enter any local tournaments, but good enough to be able to do exactly what I want to do with my strokes, and play at a decent pace.

I would class myself as a baseliner, but I always like to mix it up with lots of variation in ball trajectory, depth and spin. I lack quite a bit of power, especially on the ground. When I go for winners, it usually has to be very precise, close to the line. My backhand is a better shot than my forehand. I can hit through the ball much better on that wing and actually utilise a bit of power. I like to play a lot of drop shots on the backhand as well to keep the opponent guessing.

I come in to the net a bit, often when I am losing badly, I'll come in more and see if it makes a difference. My volleys are okay, nothing special, will get the job done.

The serve is the big thing for me. My first serve isn't that quick, last time I had it gunned, I could only reach 90 MPH. It's generally very well placed though, and even against better returners at my club, I'll get a few aces and a lot of unreturned serves. Second serve is a little bit slower. I'd guess often around 70 MPH, often with either slice or a little topspin on it.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #18

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

Won 1st round doubles with my partner 4-6 6-3 6-1 . Super fun match . Started ripping the ball towards the end . I think I have Jessie j to thank !

Last edited by Super Djoker : 07-08-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

Won semi final with my partner 2-6 7-5 7-5 getting unpopular with my partner thought I feel , and yet we weren't moon balling into the sun !
Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #20

I mean we are getting unpopular , not me with my partner. Lol
Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #21

Got annihilated 6-2 6-0 by the best player at the club and a heavily coached Chunky 15 year old in the final . A well .
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to make it short :P

Starting playing "bedroom tennis" at 3 or 4 with my mom. She had a small net that was kind of in proportion with how small I saw back then, and she said she quickly saw I had some talent with the racket. My mother had played tennis all her life, as her love was Bjorn Borg (as with most women) and she loved the game, however, being that her best sport when she was young and growing up in Japan was basketball (she was team captian on her high school team for several years #2 in their region) she decided to try to raise me as a basketball player instead. I was actually not too bad in basketball early on, I actually made the cut for several club teams and was team captain for two. However, as I matured, I quickly realized that team sports were not for me. I had temper issues and I hated the fact that glory wasn't all yours and losses could be caused by others on your team. If I was going to go down, I wanted to know that I had taken the shot that made me lose, never wanted any doubts. So naturally I started to take tennis seriously around 11 or 12. Up to that point, my mother and I played every couple days since my parents have a tennis court in their backyard.

So in my freshman year of high school I made the varsity team and I can admit I was a bit of a pusher back then, however, I could actually hit the ball unlike many pushers who would just stick their racket out and dink the ball. When we played at the year-end state games, my doubles partner and I made the doubles quarterfinals in the tournament, which was actually pretty big considering we were only freshmen. By my sophomore year, I had played on the USTA southwest region for a while and I started making my game a bit more offesive. I ended up being ranked #2 on my high school team and we ended up winnig the region for the 3rd year straight. That year I also won my first few USTA sanctioned tournaments. During the next summer, I got a private coach and we developed my game even further, changing my backhand into a one-hander and being a lot more offensive. So for my junior and senior years, I ended up being #1 on my varsity team and I had done reasonably well in USTA events, winning a few smaller ones, but I never played as much as I should have partly because I had an on-off back problem, due to my serve, and having a small job to pay for my coach (since my parents wanted to instill the value of money, you know) along with an 8 hour high school schedules made going to tournaments tough. Then after I got a really bad back injury at the end of my senior year, I kind of lost a little love for tennis. I mean this was also when I had met my now-wife and I was starting up college at ASU, so it was a very busy time in my life. However, after several months of not really playing, I finally found some time to pick up a racket and my game has actually improved rapidly since. Now it has been a little more than 4 years after graduating high school and I've been playing by far the best tennis I have ever had. Fitness wise, still trying to get back into high school shape (no more 6 pack for now) however, if it is a ball that I need to make you play, it'll still come back

Game wise, maybe a more offesive Murray? I can say that my one-hander is a great shot, haha, not being arrogant but whenever someone watches my game they always make a comment about my backhand. Half volleys, flick passing shots, lobs, slices, dropshots, really my backhand is my bread and butter. I still end points with my forehand normally, but my backhand is what sets everything up for me. I LOVE coming into the net, merely because I love to see how quick my reflexes are and I just absolutely LOOOOOVE to hit half volleys and backhand smashes. Forehand volleys I kind of struggle with because I get a little sloppy with the technique, but regardless, I come in a lot. Serve has been up and down since high school. Sometimes I'll get in a groove, but since I've had my back problems, I ended up changing my service motion and strangely my toss became utterly terrible.. I can still bomb the first serve, especially outwide on the ad court, but my slice serve which was my best serve in high school, is really inconsitent. Second serve, ironically, I just go with a slice serve. My kick serves were too easy to attack, so I take the chance of double faulting a little more in exchange for a less attackable second serve. My forehand is just adequate, nothing too special. Strong enough to put shots away, I can put enough topspin and it is consistent enough.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #23
country flag seattletennisguy

seattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond reputeseattletennisguy has a reputation beyond repute

I started playing in middle school with a wooden Wilson racket. When I played, it felt natural so I developed an immediate love for the sport. I was more into women's tennis than men's, so I grew up with Chris Evert as my idol. I not only loved playing tennis, mostly by myself hitting against a nearby community college wall, but I got madly into following it on TV and buying tennis magazines.

My very first tournament was at a country club and I was double-goosed (6-0, 6-0). I got better, though, and played in high school, eventually earning the number 2 singles slot after being moved up from doubles. I had a decent high school resume of wins, so much that two junior colleges tried to recruit me to play for them. But I decided against it.

After college, I played regularly and entered local/regional tournaments with mild success. But even though my tennis playing had deteriorated, my love for the sport continued. I would eat strawberries & cream on "Wimbledon Sunday", I once hosted a "French Open breakfast" with baguettes and croissants at my apartment, and in 2000 my dream to attend Wimbledon finally came through. I got to see Martina Navratilova play doubles, and I saw the epic first Wimbledon match between Serena and Venus Williams. For someone who didn't purchase an advance ticket, I miraculously scored a seat next to the Royal Box and directly in front of legendary music divas Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight. Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson were a few rows in front of me.

These days, I play awful. But in my defense, several years ago I had a serious damaged rotator cuff. I'm a baseliner, have a powerful forehand - in fact, I played today and a man on the court next to me said, "I want to play with you because you hit the ball hard, come back on Sunday". My serve sucks, I've gotten bloated and lazy, but I've still got a wicked forehand, baby!

I love Andy Murray (good time to admit that I'm gay; hope that's alright with y'all), and I loved Andy Murray before all the hoardes of tweens and cougars even noticed him. I fell for Murray when he had poofy hair and scrawny build. If anyone has anything with Andy Murray on it (photos, mags, etc.), I will gladly take it off your hands.

Lastly, I've never been to the French Open, but I have been to Roland Garos and sat inside Suzanne Lenglen Court and nearly broke down in tears at how precious that moment was for me.

Thanks for letting me share. Btw, because of my scrappy play and my short height and perhaps occasional pudginess, I've earned the nickname "Aranxta" from my tennis friends. They still call me "Aranxta" after all these years, and I HATE Aranxta because I've never forgiven her for beating Chris Evert in the French Open final!!!
seattletennisguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #24
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first started playing Tennis, I was automatically a pusher. It's like I was just meant to be a pusher. It's horrible, because I hate playing the pushing style, but oh well. My pushing is very severe, in that if I play aggressively I'd lose every match without a doubt. I'm not the tapping kind of pusher though, I do hit normal strokes. My serve is what helps me the most. My return is also good, I return fast serves with ease. Most of the points I win are off my 1st serve, but my 2nd serve is a liability. I usually just tap it in

My backhand is a very awkward shot. I hit with such a unique grip that the ball does not have any real pace on it. Instead it kind of just dies in the court, and it is a really good change-up. I want to improve my backhand to get it to the point where I can hit it through the court instead of it just dropping. My forehand has a lot of topspin and can be really good. My main problem with my forehand is that I shank very often, and it costs me a lot of points.

The worst part of my game without a doubt is my volleys. I can hit good approach shots, and when I'm at net it's hard to get the ball past me. But even when I have the easiest of volleys, I tend to always hit it right back to my opponent. It's horrible really, and I also can't hit overheads well at all. I can get into a winning position, but when I do I just hand the ball right back to my opponent.

People hate playing against me, as I have the ability to frustrate the hell out of my opponents. I am very fast and get to a lot of balls, which makes my opponent have to hit 5 or 6 good shots to get it past me. One other thing that makes my opponents angry is that when I'm in a position where there's no doubt I can win the point, I'll hit the ball to where my opponent can just barely get to a ball and then I'll put it away. it really exhausts my opponents.

In the long run I'm going to get more spin on my 2nd serve, hit through my backhand, shank less on my forehand, and improve my net game.

P.S. I am a world class choker. I cannot finish of my opponents well at all. That's also something I will work on.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #25
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I've gone back to playing some tournaments in the local area. Prior to this week no success, but one last outdoor tournament this week and so far I'm doing pretty well.

We play the matches on outdoor clay-courts but they've taken a lot of rain over the past few weeks. It's been dry this week, though, so it's possible to play and things aren't too bad. The court is so slow and difficult to hit through. Serving is really tricky, my first serve doesn't penetrate the court at all, it automatically makes each point a grind, or even gives my opponent the advantage.

So far I've won my first three matches for the loss of a set. Tomorrow we play the second to last match.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
When I first started playing Tennis, I was automatically a pusher. It's like I was just meant to be a pusher. It's horrible, because I hate playing the pushing style, but oh well. My pushing is very severe, in that if I play aggressively I'd lose every match without a doubt. I'm not the tapping kind of pusher though, I do hit normal strokes. My serve is what helps me the most. My return is also good, I return fast serves with ease. Most of the points I win are off my 1st serve, but my 2nd serve is a liability. I usually just tap it in

My backhand is a very awkward shot. I hit with such a unique grip that the ball does not have any real pace on it. Instead it kind of just dies in the court, and it is a really good change-up. I want to improve my backhand to get it to the point where I can hit it through the court instead of it just dropping. My forehand has a lot of topspin and can be really good. My main problem with my forehand is that I shank very often, and it costs me a lot of points.

The worst part of my game without a doubt is my volleys. I can hit good approach shots, and when I'm at net it's hard to get the ball past me. But even when I have the easiest of volleys, I tend to always hit it right back to my opponent. It's horrible really, and I also can't hit overheads well at all. I can get into a winning position, but when I do I just hand the ball right back to my opponent.

People hate playing against me, as I have the ability to frustrate the hell out of my opponents. I am very fast and get to a lot of balls, which makes my opponent have to hit 5 or 6 good shots to get it past me. One other thing that makes my opponents angry is that when I'm in a position where there's no doubt I can win the point, I'll hit the ball to where my opponent can just barely get to a ball and then I'll put it away. it really exhausts my opponents.

In the long run I'm going to get more spin on my 2nd serve, hit through my backhand, shank less on my forehand, and improve my net game.

P.S. I am a world class choker. I cannot finish of my opponents well at all. That's also something I will work on.
I can,t stand pushers ! Lol lost 2 sets to a pusher today , just gets everything back I go into net he lobs it over my head hitting so hard that eventually they either go long or in the net . He,s good at drop shots as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #27
country flag The Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I've gone back to playing some tournaments in the local area. Prior to this week no success, but one last outdoor tournament this week and so far I'm doing pretty well.

We play the matches on outdoor clay-courts but they've taken a lot of rain over the past few weeks. It's been dry this week, though, so it's possible to play and things aren't too bad. The court is so slow and difficult to hit through. Serving is really tricky, my first serve doesn't penetrate the court at all, it automatically makes each point a grind, or even gives my opponent the advantage.

So far I've won my first three matches for the loss of a set. Tomorrow we play the second to last match.
Last two days of the tourney were rained off, so results were void.

Shame, as I had a 100% record in my box, with two matches to play.

We'll get 'em next year, though.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #28
country flag Topspinfetishist
Banned!

Topspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond repute

"Tennis is not a matter of life and death. It's much more than that." -- Unknown

What more need be said about my tennis!
Topspinfetishist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #29
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinfetishist View Post
"Tennis is not a matter of life and death. It's much more than that." -- Unknown

What more need be said about my tennis!
A lot.

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
country flag Topspinfetishist
Banned!

Topspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak3yman84 View Post
A lot.
C'mon Freak, you're not trying.

PS: I don't think Freaky likes me.

Last edited by Topspinfetishist : 10-22-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Topspinfetishist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote