12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #136
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the question you need to ask yourself is this: in which society are you less likely to get shot? the one where only a very tiny fraction has guns and it's very difficult to get one or the one in which a whole bunch of people have guns and have easy access to get one?
My newspaper today has a list of countries of the world with guns/citizen, murders/citizen and murder by gun/citizen.

If I can turn your question around and pose it as ''In which society are you most likely to get shot?'' ,the answer jumps right off the page. Stay away from Latinos. Central and South America are by far the leaders in getting yourself shot.

Consider this: In the US there are 89 firearms/100 citizens. In Brazil there are 8 firearms/100 citizens.

In the US there are 3 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens. In Brazil there are 18 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens.

I could go on: Venezuela, 38 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens; Guatemala 35; Honduras 68; Colombia 28; El Salvador 40; Dominican Rep 16; Ecuador 13.

Finally, the US has 9 times the number of firearms/citizen as Chile, yet the deaths by firearm/100,000 citizens are only about 1.5 times.

These numbers clearly show that the availability of firearms is not the determining factor in deaths by gun, but culture may play the most important role.

You can't just make stuff up!

Last edited by buddyholly : 07-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #137
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the world is ending after all
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #138
country flag orangehat

orangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond reputeorangehat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
My newspaper today has a list of countries of the world with guns/citizen, murders/citizen and murder by gun/citizen.

If I can turn your question around and pose it as ''In which society are you most likely to get shot?'' ,the answer jumps right off the page. Stay away from Latinos. Central and South America are by far the leaders in getting yourself shot.

Consider this: In the US there are 89 firearms/100 citizens. In Brazil there are 8 firearms/100 citizens.

In the US there are 3 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens. In Brazil there are 18 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens.

I could go on: Venezuela, 38 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens; Guatemala 35; Honduras 68; Colombia 28; El Salvador 40; Dominican Rep 16; Ecuador 13.

Finally, the US has 9 times the number of firearms/citizen as Chile, yet the deaths by firearm/100,000 citizens are only about 1.5 times.

These numbers clearly show that the availability of firearms is not the determining factor in deaths by gun, but culture may play the most important role.

You can't just make stuff up!

You're comparing apples with oranges, which led to your bad conclusion (latino countries have higher homicide rates by guns even though they have less firearms per citizens, therefore firearms/citizens is not the most important factor)

It's poor law & order in the latino countries that lead to higher crime, which leads to higher gun violence.
Furthermore you're not even considering the problem of illegal firearms, which is a far greater problem in the SA countries than the States.

Again, the more appropriate comparison should be between the US and Canada (I won't even say European countries because they are more densely populated as a whole. Of course Canada is also far less densely populated than the US but it's probably the closest comparison in terms of culture as a whole apart from gun laws), and the conclusion is pretty clear. More guns means more likely to result in deaths.

Singles: (61/10) Finals: 1-5 ATP, 3-1 Challengers
W: Rotterdam '12 F: Monte Carlo '11, Dubai '11, Nice '11, Stockholm '11, Atlanta '12
Slams:1R,3R,3R,QF

Doubles: (9/5) Finals: 3-4 ATP, 8-7 Challengers
W: US Open '12 (w/Allez-Alejo), Bercy '11 (w/ZackBusner), Winston-Salem '12 (w/Betty) F: Atlanta '12 (w/Betty), Eastbourne '11 (w/*Jean*), Stockholm '11 (w/njnetswill), Casablanca '10 (w/Gavnich77)
Slams:2R,3R,QF,W
orangehat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #139
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehat View Post
You're comparing apples with oranges, which led to your bad conclusion (latino countries have higher homicide rates by guns even though they have less firearms per citizens, therefore firearms/citizens is not the most important factor)
No, I wasn't comparing apples and oranges. I was replying to an abraxas question, not making a statement. And I actually reached the same conclusion as you, so why you should call my decision ''bad'' I have no idea.

The question was: In which society are you less likely to get shot, the one where only a tiny fraction has guns or the one where a whole bunch of people have guns.

And since I actually said that ''the availablity of guns is not the determining factor in death by firearm, and culture may be the most important factor'', I am at a total loss why you should tell me I reached a bad conclusion because the number firearms/citizen is not the most important factor. That is exactly what I said.

I did not compare Canada and the US, because that would not have been a reply to abraxas' question. He did not ask for a head-to-head comparison of Canada and the US gun laws.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #140
country flag allpro

allpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond reputeallpro has a reputation beyond repute

a real ‘eyewitness’ or a government paid actor? this is really bad acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcAMRAePZk
“and honestly, for the record, there was only one guy.” (2:32-36). strange thing to say considering stephanopoulos never even asked. clearly he was trying to reinforce the official government version of events.

another false witness.

a staged photo-op with 4 month old baby in tow (for heightened emotional response) and girlfriend who took shrapnel to her ankle and thigh just hours earlier.....what a trooper.

notice her adjusting her earpiece @0:57 & 1:03 and the wire is clearly visible at the end. someone was feeding her lines.

more bad acting and the baby makes another cameo appearance. (who brings their 4 month old infant and 4 y.o. daughter to a midnight showing of the ultra-violent dark knight at the “last minute”?). more crocodile tears and fake quavering voice from the boyfriend. the girlfriend then recounts how he proposed to her in the hospital and she happily accepted despite the fact that he cowardly fled the theatre and drove off in his car leaving her and the children to fend for themselves against a ruthless mass murderer. who writes this stuff?

"Tom Sullivan, holds a photograph of his son, Alex Sullivan, as he pleads with the media to
help him find his son, outside Gateway High School on July 20, 2012 in Aurora, Colo."
Author: Edecio Martinez
Credit: AP Photo/Barry Gutierrez

they just had to get in a 9/11-style missing persons flyer.

more lousy acting. so the crazed gunman pointed his rifle in your face point-blank but didn’t shoot? right.

looks more like a drugged up mk-ultra patsy to me.

interestingly, james was involved in mind-altering neuroscience research in a Ph.D. program at the University of Colorado-Denver. his father robert was a lead scientist at FICO and developed sophisticated financial fraud risk models and was scheduled to testify in the LIBOR rate rigging scandal.
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblog...aud-scientist/
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/...-testify-libor

guilty until proven innocent.

the mainstream media and government are one.....think operation mockingbird. we're being lied to and deceived on a cosmic level.

Last edited by allpro : 12-20-2012 at 01:08 AM.
allpro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote